“Great location, lovely rooms.”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
edinburgh
“Great location, lovely rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

Make sure you get a sea facing room as it is great to lie in bed and watch the sea planes taking off and landing! We had a Waterfront Deluxe Room. The rooms are very comfortable with lovely big bathrooms and the usual Miller Harris products. The location of this hotel is great for getting to most parts of the city and you can easily walk to the shopping areas. There is a Starbucks right opposite the hotel if you prefer to have breakfast there.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Fairmont123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Helens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

Checked into the 'Waterfront' after a week in Whistler and was looking forward to some luxury. The hotel room we booked into was a city view room on the 14th floor. The room was fantastic with floor to ceiling windows that were not really overlooked by anything.
The staff from check in to check out were professional, polite and helpful. Herons restaurant was expensive but their breakfast buffet was superb and set us up for the day.
The hotel is only a few minutes walk from the main shopping areas and the tourist sightseeing buses leave from outside the hotel if you fancy seeing more of the further away areas.
My only grumble with the hotel is the gym/spa facilities, which are rather dated and small. The lockers are all padlocked and there was no-one around to ask regarding getting keys for them. The swimming pool is small and there are only a few exercise machines. For the class of hotel I was disappointed with the facilities.

• Liked — Luxury
  • Disliked — gym/spa facilities
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa056
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

Clean rooms. Some lack of quality control (eg. tv remote not working, furniture damaged). Nice decor. Access to shops that close quite early (6 pm).

Staff (Hayley) guaranteed a room rate for an extension and change of rooms. The next morning the front desk clerk Amit refused the rate and tacitly suggested I lied about the change. It's the sort of thing you would expect in a place that takes advantage of tourists when there is no choice for those same tourists. Exceedingly unprofessional. Stay at your own risk.

• Liked — location was nice...downtown vancouver
  • Disliked — highly unprofessional staff
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank abtfulmind
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

We first stayed at the Waterfront during our honeymoon several years ago, when it was a CP Hotel. We enjoyed it so much we have visited every few years when we got the chance. The change to the Fairmont management style has not been so positive, staff attitudes have changed and there is a pervasive take it or leave it approach. Culminating in our last visit where we arrived after a long flight to be told the room wasn't ready but if we hung around it would be done soon. We wasted nearly 4 hours before giving up and going out as we were. Despite booking a portside room we were allocated a city view, again a further slog to get clarified. Even when we got to the room it had not been properly serviced. To cap it off our room rate was topped up with a marketing incentive charge - e.g. the hotel charges you another 1.5% for advertising itself and Vancouver to other tourists!

• Liked — Recent room refurbishment
  • Disliked — General apathy of the staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank towtaylor
Huron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

I just returned yesterday from a weekend stay.. this hotel is fabulous! The staff is very gracious, the rooms, the beds, the views are out of this world. Hotel is located right by Canada Place, a great hotel to stay a few nights prior to going on a cruise, you are walking distance to the restaurants, nightlife, shopping. Vancouver is a great city with many attractions and things to do. Don't forget to visit Granville Island while you are there!

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank funinthesun44
Ipswich, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront for 7 nights in a "Fairmont Room".

The room was large and had a great view of the port area and north shore mountains, which was nice as we were expecting a city view. The window itself was floor-to-ceiling and spanned the entire length of the room, we never closed the curtains and routinely watched cruise ships come into dock at 6am just as the sun rose above the mountains. The marble bathroom was pleasant, although the bath functions as a shower and you are not able to run and fill up the bath as no plug is supplied.

Unlike other reviews we never heard noise from neighboring rooms, nor did we experience light from the corridor shining under the door at night. Moreover, the housekeeping was superb, supplying fresh bed clothes and bathroom towels daily. Overall the room was excellent, the only downside being the television was rather small and old (not a flatscreen as pictured on the website) and the mini bar was extrememly expensive.

The concierge service was very friendly and welcoming as you may expect. I would suggest phoning ahead (before you arrive in Vancouver) and asking the concierge to book your day trips, we did this and everything was organised for us upon arrival.

The Herons Lounge was superb, however you can certainly find cheaper and equally as good restaurants nearby, for example Gastown (a short 5 minute walk) has an excellent Italian.

Lastly, the location of the hotel is second-to-none. Canada Place is right on the water front and access to the seawall, it is also close to the wealthy financial district. I would suggest you stay on a higher floor if you want a good view however as recent construction nearby may impede rooms on lower floors. This may be why Fairmont is building its new "Pacific Rim" hotel only a 2 minute walk from this hotel!

If I were to go back I would probably stay at the Pan Pacific as I believe it may offer slightly better unobstructed views.

• Liked — Stunning Views
  • Disliked — Expensive minibar, old tv
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Mylo25
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

My stay at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver, Canada was one of the best I have ever had.

From the dog who greeted me at the front of the hotel to the entire staff at the hotel I felt at home. My room overlooked the cruise ship docks and I could see the ferry come and go. I watched the cruise ships sail. The hotel location was so convenient to everthing.

My king size bed was just firm enough and so comfortable I slept like a baby. I am tall and the big tub was wonderful to soak in after a long day flying, etc. I just loved my room on the 12th floor. I traveled alone so safety was a concern. I felt very safe at the hotel.

In all my stay was more than I had imagined! It was just wonderful. I sailed away the next day wishing I had spent more days at the Fairmont Waterfront. I will be back.

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, friendly, convenient to cruise ship terminal, loved the dog!
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo