“The Man who has Everything, Gets "Wowed" at the Fairmont Waterfront”

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #10 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I am a very, very lucky man. I have been blessed with a wonderful life and have stayed at some of the most magnificent hotels in the World. In the course of our 3 month summer vacation, my wife and I chose to stay 9 nights in the 2 bedroom Royal Suite of this hotel. Vancouver is a spectacularly beautiful city, but it has a reputation for its hit-and-miss hotels. Returning to Vancouver is not a choice for us as we have friends and family in the city. We chose this hotel based on a previous short-term business stay and its magnificent Royal Suite in which the Her Majesty the Queen stayed in, in 1991. We had stayed in this suite in the past and were pleased with the setting and property at the time, however we decided to try some different Vancouver hotels last year and the year before. Returning to the property this year was a spectacular surprise. The property had aged gracefully but it's staff, their thoughtfullness and genuinely helpful and exceptional service completely floored us. If you have a spouse as thoughtful and surprising as my own, you never get to choose the location of your 40th birthday. In order to exact maximum surprise, my wife decided this was the property she would spring the trap on me at (6 weeks early no less). Everything relating to that celebration was flawless.. Our stay in the hotel was perfect leading up to the event, caring, diligent, detail oriented is the best we to describe its people.. The amount of effort and attention this property's staff put into our stay dramatically eclipsed the economic value any guest could expect to bring to the property. They tried so hard - made things so perfect and gave such an exceptional effort that the outcome from a guests perspective was heartbreakingly beautiful and ultimately motivated me to write this review so that others could know of it. I highly recomend this property to others seeking an exceptional hotel experience in the Vancouver area and thank those at this property sincerely for their outstanding work.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank theLuckiestGuy
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Waterfront

Reviewed 6 June 2009

The Waterfront Hotel couldn't possibly be any closer to the waterfront. The view from my room on the 20th floor was stunning. It overlooked the ferry teminal and had an unobstructed view of the harbour. The hotel is located in an excellent location within walking distance to Burrard and Robinson streets and the local bar scene at night.

The staff are very friendly, courteous and helpful. I arrived around 10 AM after a long flight from Asia and needed to get washed up and dressed for a meeting with my client in a couple of hours. There was no problem getting a early check-in and she also made sure I got a room with a great view on a high floor.

The gym has a few cardio machines but not much for weights. That being said, I am sure there are gyms close by if you want to get in a good workout. The pool and hot tub both were great.

I did not eat at any of the restaurants or order room service so I cannot comment on the food, but I am sure it would up to Fairmont standards since everything else was.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank luv2travel9999
Reviewed 5 June 2009

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront after a cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver, the hotel was just across the street from the cruise terminal which was perfect. We got off the ship, crossed the street and checked into our room. The room was large with a nice sitting area and great view of the city. Service was excellent as I've experienced at every single Fairmont I have visited over the past few years. We didn't eat at the restaurant because of the large selection of restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommend this hotel if you're taking a cruise into our out of Vancouver, it's so convenient and relaxing.

1  Thank Todd H
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Having just returned from a recent night at the Fairmont Waterfront, I can say I came away very impressed with this hotel as it more than exceeded my expectations which were alread set fairly high going in having stayed at several Fairmont's elsewhere in recent years.

Having had plenty of notice of an upcoming business stay at the hotel I managed to reserve one of the lower rates in the standard Fairmont rooms which are well appointed though usually on lower floors and with less of a view than the upgraded room categories. For business though they're more than alright and so I was very pleasantly surprised to have been given an unsolicited upgrade to a corner room which features both city skyline as well as harbour views from both the bedroom and the bathroom. It seems rooms ending in either 16 or 24 are corner units in the hotel, which is a triangluar shape, and I was in 1524, a Signature room category I believe it is called. The photo's I've included do not do the room justice but the most interesting feature was the floor-to-ceiling wildows in the bathroom that allowed you to soak up the Stanley Park, Vancouver harbour and city skyline vistas while soaking in the large and deep tub. A great way to wash off the jet lag and prepare for meetings next morning.

The hotel is location across the street from Canada Place, which is home to the Vancouver Convention Centre, The Pan Pacific Hotel and Cruise Ship Terminal so a busy corner when two huge cruise ships are disembarking 5,000+ passengers and embarking as many in the same day. Somehow it works and the staff do their best to handle the ebb & flow on these cruise ship sail days but you can't help notice how crowded the lobby is with luggage and how hectic the front desk really is. That having been said however I was quietly amazed at how well the staff took the pace in stride and seemed to deliver a consistently professional and courteous level of customer service.
I left my luggage after checkin out at the Bell Desk for a few hours while I did a bit of Gastown sightseeing and the staff there was efficient and pleasant as well. A walk in the opposite direction would get you to the famous Stanley Park, which is a big draw for it's walking, cycling and jogging paths with stunning mountain and harbour views.

Note that the airporter shuttle service in from Vancouver International Airport alternates service between the Fairmont Waterfront and the Pan Pacific across the street, stopping at one hotel one hour and the other the next however as they're literally facing each other even having to negotiate the short walk isn't too much of a downside. By the way, I found the airport shuttle very inexpensive at CAD$22 roundtrip.

We had a working buffet breakfast at Heron's and enjoyed the spacious almost outdoor patio setting of the restaurant. Those guests opting to upgrade to a Fairmont Gold level room receive as part of the extra ammenities a private breakfast area that is much quieter than Heron's but like most hotels when you pay more you get more and such is the case here as well.

Unlike many other Fairmont's the Waterfront isn't a restored heritage hotel and is modern in both decor and ammenities. Conference rooms and business services are also state of the art, though didn't have enough time to try the fitness facilities out during my short stay. A heated outdoor pool set on a terrace a few stories above street level offers a nice oasis in the downtown for some relaxation even in cooler months.

It is worth it to sign up for the free Fairmont loyalty program called Fairmont President's Club as one perk is free internet access even for basic members. The other nice perk I find is that there is the regular check-in desk as well as one dedicated for President's Club members and it's usually much quicker.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver for either business or pleasure, especially to splurge and stay one night prior to sailing on one of the cruise ships that dock steps away.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank tcook052
Reviewed 5 May 2009

If it has the "Fairmont" brand on it, no need to look anywhere else. Just two quick comments: 1. Just in case you're thinking about the spa, this hotel doesn't have a Willow Stream Spa, it just has a regular spa with fitness centre, an outdoor heated pool, an indoor jacuzzi, and there's a sauna inside the men's locker room. The location is the best in the city, in front of Canada Place, the Convention Centre and the Cruise Ship Terminal, and just 2 or 3 blocks away from the main shopping areas of downtown. 2. The internet connection is not included in the room rate, so, if you want to connect to the internet from your room, you have to pay for it, and again, this seems to be a general tendency in most hotels in Canada. Sorry guys, when I pay for a hotel room, I expect complimentary internet included, so for that reason, I will take away one point from the "Value" rating.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank BoutiqueHotelFan2000
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My wife and I stayed here for our Honeymoon. We spent ten nights at the chateau in whistler (which is incredible) and then we had four nights at the waterfront. Having had a fantastic time at the chateau we thought the waterfront might not live up to it but we were pleasantly surprised. Everything about the hotel was 10/10, the staff were so friendly and couldnt do enough for us. The location was excellent and really handy for visiting Downtown Vancouver. If you are staying in Vancouver we couldn't recommend this hotel enough. We were so impressed with the two fairmont hotels that we have signed up to the Presidents club as we can not wait to go to another of their excellent hotels.

BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!!

2  Thank Eurotripnf
Reviewed 28 April 2009

The hotel is by Canada Place in the Waterfront district and has a nice spacious entrance and common parts. We had a city view room overlooking the garden and it was much quieter than the other Fairmont property in central Vancouver. The rooms are spacious but the furniture collection was eclectic to say the least with painted furniture thrown together (from a garage sale?) with sleek dark wood side tables, maple TV cabinet, a glass and metal sidetable and poly mixed sheets (watch the static at night) on a bed next to wrought iron table lamps. We were invited to keep our towels for more than one day which seems a good initiative except that it seemed to extend to meaning don't bother to clean the bathroom so thoroughly either. The buffet breakfast is expansive and quite expensive but there are cheaper alternatives in the food court below the hotel. The hotel defnitiely scores on quietness and my husband enjoyed running along the waterfront but it's not well placed for the shops. That's why my husband wanted us to stay here!

2  Thank frequentflyerLondon