“Dingy room, Amazing Location”

YWCA Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #15 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Last minute concert tickets had me scrambling to find a room downtown on short notice. Everything was booked. Never would I have considered YWCA as an option otherwise. I was not sure what I was getting us into...
The Good
Seriously an amazing location for events downtown. BC Place across the street, Rogers Arena 5 min walk. Parking was inexpensive at $13/nt. Staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful! Bedding was fantastic quality and beds were comfy.
The Bad
Very institutional like feel in the room. Nasty dirty carpet, hairy on the edges. Hospital like bathroom (private). Window faced a concrete wall. Price of $185 total seemed high. I can usually get much better deals on Hotwire when looking in advance. I would not choose YWCA if there were other nearby options such as Sandman available.

• Stayed: June 2014
Yhotel, Director of Sales at YWCA Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear SnowySunsets, thank you for taking the time to review us, and I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your needs. Being a not for profit organization, we do our best to offer reasonable rates to all travellers at all times, but in doing so, we are often unable to compete with those properties that can deep discount some of their rates in this current economic times.

Your other issues concern us. Our hotel continues to receive positive feedbacks from guests and your concerns are the opposite to any experience our guests had. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues. Please contact Barbara Lane, our Associate Director at 1 800 663 1424 to discuss them. Sincerely, Arden Sutherland, Sales Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I've stayed here several times and had consistently good experience. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the location is central, and the facilities more than adequate. And the price is unbeatable, especially for downtown Vancouver.

Room Tip: Save $ and get a room without a bathroom. Shared bathrooms are convenient and clean.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Finding the YWCA was a life saver for me: I needed a place downtown with reasonable rates. My room was on an upper floor, immaculately clean with a nice bathroom containing the toiletries shown in the photos on this site. There was a lovely soaking tub/shower combination. Everything is very modern and nice here, and security is excellent: your key comes with a magnetic tag that you use in the elevator in order to get the elevator to move, so people can't just come in off the street and ride the elevator up. As a woman travelling alone, I felt more than safe. You can go to any floor you like, so the kitchens, laundry, and hall bathrooms (if you do not have an ensuite) on any floor are available. These are modern, upgraded facilities (washers and dryers are clean and in good operating condition; common spaces such as kitchens as clean and spacious). The YWCA is in a great location, as others have written. There is a coffee shop on the ground floor, but there is also a Waves coffee shop one block over on Robson, a Starbucks several blocks up from that, and, since it was summer, a nice cafe outdoors at the public library. There are so many restaurants and take out places close by that you will find just about anything you like. 24/7 Tim Horton's is also on Robson. There is also an IGA supermarket a few blocks away with an excellent selection of foods. There was a fridge in my room, so buying and keeping groceries is not a problem. The front desk was very helpful when I needed directions or just had a question.

I considered a room without an ensuite, but then before I arrived, decided to upgrade to one with an ensuite. So I have never experienced the type of washroom shared between rooms, but now would not hesistate to book a room where one uses the hall bathrooms. These are completely private, that is, not "stall" style, and if you need to use one on a different floor, you can. I can see where the rooms that share one bathroom between them (there is a locking mechanism: see other reviews) would be good for a larger group traveling together or for a larger family if they took the two rooms sharing the bathroom. It's a hostel and a hotel, and this is just, hands down, a great option in Vancouver. Pick the option that is right for you. People from all over, all sorts of travellers and ages, were staying here, so don't shy away. The business traveller, families, retired folk, backpackers, and solo travellers can all be very happy here.

Room Tip: Read the other reviews; I was high up and had a view, but this happened by chance. Ask quesitons whe...
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I last reviewed this hotel in 2012. Since then, I was offered a discount from the manager for my next stay. I returned in 2013 and 2014 and noticed that this hotel has improved. The rooms have been upgraded - the carpets are clean, the tvs are new, the artwork is updated and the beds are heavenly! (The bed I had in a single room was definitely comfier than the one I have at home). I received great service during my two stays. Basically, it's even better value than it was before. My friend jokes that the YWCA hotel is my go-to hotel in Vancouver, which it is. Just wish they had more budget YWCA hotels of this quality in other cities.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The front desk staff were very friendly and informative. The room was very large but all we needed for a nights stay. The location is so close to Rogers Arena, BC Place and the Queen E. Everything you need is within walking distance. I was very impressed with how clean our room was and the overall appearance of the hotel.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat. This is a very clean reasonably priced location. If you don't mind sharing a washroom it is even cheaper. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I recently stayed at the YWCA Hotel Vancouver. We booked a Private room with bathroom down the hall but we were happily upgraded to a private room with shared bathroom- with the room next door. Rooms were clean, basic, small but all you need! Check in was fast and efficient. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The YWCA is an affordable place to stay in downtown Vancouver. I would say it is somewhere between a hostel and a hotel. You have a shared kitchen and shared bathrooms but individual rooms. It stays clean and is quite. Within walking distance to most everything in Vancouver.

1  Thank Lina_Therese