YWCA Hotel Vancouver
  • Room Service
Kingston Hotel(Vancouver)
  • Breakfast included
2,170 results
All reviewsshared bathroomsocial enterpriseprivate bathbc placegreat locationsingle roomrogers arenaroom was cleankitchen facilitiesskytrain stationgreat place to staymini fridgerobson streetbudget hotelwithin walking distancefront desk staffcentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Booked for 3 nights with student discount on Canada day. The hotel stuff was extremely friendly and pointed out the place for viewing firework. The room was clean and efficient. Air conditioning worked just fine but was a bit noisy so we turned it on during day time when we were out and came back cool. No meal was included but there were kitchen on different floors and the amenities were good and clean. This is actually the first review I border to write because I feel like more people need to know this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank chewy892
Reviewed 29 June 2014

In a city where accommodation can be expensive the YWCA offers modern facilities at a reasonable price. Front desk service is very helpful-going the extra mile to look after valuables for us and providing useful information about local eateries. Rooms are modern and well laid out witha walk in shower on offer instead of a shower over bath which can be less easy to use.Coffee and tea in the room were however not provided, rather unusual in our experience but could be bought in the foyer at a cafe. Fid location the YWCA is just off Robson near the Sports stadium so about 10 minutes to Gastown/Chinatown and 10 mins to the main shops. Lots of choices for eating are round the corner so no problems there. As a stayover in Vancouver its well worth cinsidering with rates better if you deal with them directly.They have the facilty of free access to a swimming pool and sauna a few blocks away too which ia a bonus

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 611sunseekers
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Last minute concert tickets had me scrambling to find a room downtown on short notice. Everything was booked. Never would I have considered YWCA as an option otherwise. I was not sure what I was getting us into...
The Good
Seriously an amazing location for events downtown. BC Place across the street, Rogers Arena 5 min walk. Parking was inexpensive at $13/nt. Staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful! Bedding was fantastic quality and beds were comfy.
The Bad
Very institutional like feel in the room. Nasty dirty carpet, hairy on the edges. Hospital like bathroom (private). Window faced a concrete wall. Price of $185 total seemed high. I can usually get much better deals on Hotwire when looking in advance. I would not choose YWCA if there were other nearby options such as Sandman available.

• Stayed: June 2014
Yhotel, Director of Sales at YWCA Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear SnowySunsets, thank you for taking the time to review us, and I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your needs. Being a not for profit organization, we do our best to offer reasonable rates to all travellers at all times, but in doing so, we are often unable to compete with those properties that can deep discount some of their rates in this current economic times.

Your other issues concern us. Our hotel continues to receive positive feedbacks from guests and your concerns are the opposite to any experience our guests had. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues. Please contact Barbara Lane, our Associate Director at 1 800 663 1424 to discuss them. Sincerely, Arden Sutherland, Sales Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I've stayed here several times and had consistently good experience. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the location is central, and the facilities more than adequate. And the price is unbeatable, especially for downtown Vancouver.

Room Tip: Save $ and get a room without a bathroom. Shared bathrooms are convenient and clean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Finding the YWCA was a life saver for me: I needed a place downtown with reasonable rates. My room was on an upper floor, immaculately clean with a nice bathroom containing the toiletries shown in the photos on this site. There was a lovely soaking tub/shower combination. Everything is very modern and nice here, and security is excellent: your key comes with a magnetic tag that you use in the elevator in order to get the elevator to move, so people can't just come in off the street and ride the elevator up. As a woman travelling alone, I felt more than safe. You can go to any floor you like, so the kitchens, laundry, and hall bathrooms (if you do not have an ensuite) on any floor are available. These are modern, upgraded facilities (washers and dryers are clean and in good operating condition; common spaces such as kitchens as clean and spacious). The YWCA is in a great location, as others have written. There is a coffee shop on the ground floor, but there is also a Waves coffee shop one block over on Robson, a Starbucks several blocks up from that, and, since it was summer, a nice cafe outdoors at the public library. There are so many restaurants and take out places close by that you will find just about anything you like. 24/7 Tim Horton's is also on Robson. There is also an IGA supermarket a few blocks away with an excellent selection of foods. There was a fridge in my room, so buying and keeping groceries is not a problem. The front desk was very helpful when I needed directions or just had a question.

I considered a room without an ensuite, but then before I arrived, decided to upgrade to one with an ensuite. So I have never experienced the type of washroom shared between rooms, but now would not hesistate to book a room where one uses the hall bathrooms. These are completely private, that is, not "stall" style, and if you need to use one on a different floor, you can. I can see where the rooms that share one bathroom between them (there is a locking mechanism: see other reviews) would be good for a larger group traveling together or for a larger family if they took the two rooms sharing the bathroom. It's a hostel and a hotel, and this is just, hands down, a great option in Vancouver. Pick the option that is right for you. People from all over, all sorts of travellers and ages, were staying here, so don't shy away. The business traveller, families, retired folk, backpackers, and solo travellers can all be very happy here.

Room Tip: Read the other reviews; I was high up and had a view, but this happened by chance. Ask quesitons when you phone and you will get what you want. I phoned after I booked online and sorted out my opitons. Staff are very helpful about what is available, what is included, how things work.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo