“Great value in an expensive city”

YWCA Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #15 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The location was awesome being ~three blocks to a train station, within ~1.5 miles to Stanley Park and minutes from shopping/eating venues. The staff was really friendly and helpful. It provides quick access, <0.5mile, to the seawall for great running/walking/photo taking opportunities. The rooms are basic, but provide everything you need to have a comfortable stay. I highly recommend this as a place to stay for the overall value - price and benefit to the community.

Room Tip: My room on the eighth floor facing the stadium had a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dorseykm

Reviewed 20 August 2014

YWCA staff was helpful, informative, and exceptionally flexible. The location was perfect- easy to get to all areas of downtown. The room was very clean and comfortable. We had a single room with a shared bathroom and it was great. It was nice to know that part of the proceeds goes toward YWCA programming. Would highly recommend

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Erinpkatz
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My friends and I stayed at this hotel recently for a convention and we were thoroughly pleased with our stay. This isn't a super fancy hotel, but it's clean and very comfortable, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I arrived very late at night and had no trouble checking in. Since I was arriving a day before my friends, they offered to move me to a smaller room for the first night to help us save a little money.

One of my favorite things about the hotel are the bath tubs, both of the rooms I stayed in had private bathrooms with deep soaker bath tubs. There was reliable hot water at any time of the day, and only a little decrease in water pressure on the upper levels (the room I stayed in on the first night was on the 2nd floor, while we were on the 11th floor for the rest of our stay). The towels are a bit stiff and scratchy, so if you have very sensitive skin you may benefit from bringing your own. There is soap, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash provided, and if you forgot any essentials like toothpaste it is available in the lobby for a very small fee.

If you stay in a room on the front of the building, you may be able to catch a special look at some of the events in the stadium across the street. There was a football game going on one night while we were there, and we were able to see the stadium screen and hear the crowd when you opened a window. This was a lot of fun because we could watch the game on TV and hear the crowd's reactions slightly before we saw the results on screen. The noise was minimal when the windows were closed.

My least favorite part of the stay was the odd buzzing noises you would hear when the AC kicked off. This was present in both of the rooms I stayed in. It didn't cause a problem with sleeping, but it was a little disruptive at times.

There is a cafe connected to the lobby of the hotel, but it is very busy in the morning so it may not be your best bet for breakfast if you need something quick. I recommend getting a couple groceries from the IGA around the corner on Robson Street and keeping them in the minifridge if you're in need of a quick meal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We love staying here, and have a few times now. It's close to the concert venue and all my favorite haunts. It's always excellent.. very clean, really comfortable mattresses, reasonably priced even in the height of tourist season and the front desk staff are efficient, friendly and the service is quick and seamless.
My only concern was on the bathroom door in our room this time, there was a towel rack that was missing the bar and 3 out of the 4 of us got cuts from the rack ends. I let the front desk know when we were checking out and I'm sure they were on it right away.
I will always stay here when I'm in Van!

Room Tip: If you are ever headed over to Van for a concert with friends, request 501. It has 5 single beds, an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura J
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is definitely a big step up from the Y's of my youth. The makeover has been done well. The rooms are not large but are adequate and you can't beat the location at this price. I like the kitchens although having to get all the plates, utensils and so on from reception was a pain.

Good basic hotel at a fair price for Vancouver and clean. We'll stay again, even though the WiFi is not free..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We enjoyed the stay at the hotel and it is quite near to the skytrain station. The price is also reasonable for a hotel stay near the downtime. A point to highlight is the yellow cab direct line is not the best way to get a cab. You would do better to download the yellow cab mobile app to book a cab.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014

YWCA is located in Downtown Vancouver still away from the noise and activity of busy streets around. Walk for half a minute and you are there on busy street like Robson Street! YWCA is little less expensive (abt 25 to 30%) than the hotel around the area. What makes them click in spite of concept like 'shared bathroom' between some rooms or really small rooms with pvt bath ( we had one) is their exquisite service with a smile! Each and every person at the reception makes you feel as if you have come to your own house! I will specially mention Ms Hong with whom we interacted the most. In spite of very busy reception, they listen to you with maximum interest and also guide you perfectly for 'things to do' in beautiful Vancouver. I have given one less star only for the small size of the room and bath room. But looking at the overall picture, I would stay at the same hotel if i travel to the city again... free wifi and free parking available...full kitchen facilities available on 10th floor and also coin operated laundry...

Room Tip: try to take higher floors...on our request we got 9th floor...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family