“Good Value Hotel”

Ranked #80 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Kelowna, Canada
“Good Value Hotel”
Reviewed 26 September 2007

We have just stayed one night before an early flight we booked because it was the cheapest hotel that we could find that included 7 days parking. $80 Great Value after reading all the reviews I was a little sceptical,but we arrived 10.30pm to a smiling receptionist, yes a pretty dated hotel but perfectly clean nice big room very clean bathroom tiny towels hard mattress horrible pillows .But its one night perfectly adequate,free Muffin or Toast and coffee at the attached restuarant ,Shuttle arrive exactly the time indicated nice cheerful driver, overall a very nice experience for the price of parking my car at the Park & Fly----we will return these rooms have a fridge hotplate with cutlery and pots and pans etc so if your here for a few days or with children its pretty convienant.

• Liked — Great Value for money
  • Disliked — hard bed,small Towels,hard Pillows
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Kelowna, BC
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We travel to Mexico every winter leaving in November and returning in April. Each way we spend a few days in Vancouver and like to be close to the airport, and have a reliable shuttle, a good restaurant, walking distance to the Casino and shopping centers and most important the ability to store our winter clothes until we return. This hotel is the only one that has all of these things. That is why we have stayed here both coming and going for several years.

Last year we thought we would try something different but found all of the highly rated places either did not have a restaurant were badly located or were terribly expensive. None of the places we checked would let us check our stuff for the 5 1/2 months we are away.We have always found the staff here to be very helpful and pleasant.

The restaurant has wonderful food and reasonable prices as well as very friendly and helpful (information wise) owners and staff, only downside is they are not open for lunch.

This facility is old and was built in the 1970's or earlier. It's history is very interesting. We understand that the Indo-Canadian family which owns it were among those people who IDI AMIN forced to leave Uganda with 48 hours notice in the 1970's. When they came to Canada this hotel was their original business. Since then they have expanded the chain owning or operating 17 four star hotels and the group is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. While the Executive Inn Express is not a four star facility we are told they have kept it to remind them of their beginnings.

We have always found our room with two beds and a kitchenette to be clean and comfortable. We have always had non-smoking rooms with no smoke smell. When one walks past a smoking room one can sometimes smell smoke if the door has just been opened, but the hall way is open air so it (the smoke)does not spread to other rooms.

The owners are in the process of progressively renovating, and we are looking forward to seeing the result.

Our only complaint is that the hallway which is open air on one side has a ceramic tile floor and so it is very noisy when one pulls a suitcase or pushes a baggage cart. Also, it would be nice to have a bellhop as at our age a 50 lb bag is pretty heavy.

Don't know what all of these people are complaining about. It seems they want a five star hotel for two star prices, or, maybe they are born complainers.

• Liked — Location, price, service and the ability to store our belongings long term.
  • Disliked — No bellhop and ceramic tile hallway
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 2 April 2007

I recently stayed at the Executive Inn Express Richmond the night before a flight out of the Vancouver Airport. It was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had and I travel a lot. To start, I walked into the lobby of the hotel and the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. This is in a city where smoking is not allowed in businesses. Then, I was told that they had no record of my reservation. I had forgotten to print out my reservation before I left the house so I asked if they had WIFI so I could look it up using my laptop computer. They did not have WIFI so I was told I could pay to use the internet kiosk and look it up there. I had no other choice but to pay to use their internet kiosk. Once I had retrieved the reservation number, the person at the desk tried looking the reservation up using that. I was told once again that there was no record of the reservation. At this point, a group of people walked in, smelled the lobby, and loudly complained about the smell before leaving to find another hotel. The person at the desk asked what the rate I had booked was. I told him and he looked at me like I was trying to steal from the hotel and reluctantly agreed to honor it. I was given a key to the room and went to find it. The room was on the third floor. The halway outside of the room was completely unheated (so it felt like it was outside) and it was January so it was really chilly. The hallway also smelled like a gym locker room. Fortunately the room did not smell bad like that and was heated. However, the bathroom was not very clean - the toilet had some dirt on the seat and there were hairs in the bathtub. The room was very big though and there was a kitchen in it which was great. I had booked a park-and-fly rate so I could leave my car parked at the hotel while I was away. At some point while it was parked at the hotel, someone tried to steal my car by trying to pull the lock out of the door. They almost completely destroyed the driver's side door with a crowbar. The hotel was completely unhelpful when I told them about it and didn't even appologize. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — Big room
  • Disliked — Everything but the room size
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank VicGirl123

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

MN
Reviewed 25 September 2006

We flew into Vancouver around midnight last week and decided to stay close to the airport for the night. Even though there were mixed reviews, I decided to book a room at this hotel and I think it was not a bad decision, The hotel is very close to the airport and the room was decent. The hallway however was dingy and a little scary/shady. Anyway the room was clean and comfortable with two queen beds. It was a surprise that they offered us free breakfast (OK, not a big spread, but enough to get you started - we ordered additional stuff and paid for it). For what we paid - $69 - it was pretty good. We stayed there for the night and stayed elsewhere for the rest of our trip.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank rsv
BC, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2006

Stayed here for one night in August 2006. Hotel is close to the Vancouver airport but is in major need of an overhaul. The lobby smells badly and has scruffy furniture, the rooms are dirty and old, and the entrance to the lobby consists of your choice of a large number of stairs or a badly-designed rampway (difficult to manouever a luggage cart in). Paid $89 CDN for our room--would recommend looking around for another hotel in the area. The elevator is very dirty, and it seems the hotel has not been cleaned in a long time.

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank John D
San Francisco
Reviewed 31 May 2006

I actually found my experience at this hotel to be comfortable and well worth what I paid for my stay of 5 nights. When I checked in, the staff were friendly and were more than willing to answer all my questions about Vancouver tours and local malls. They also recommended a car rental agency for me and called them on my behalf. They arranged for the car rental to come and pick me up too! The room was spacious and I was told that I had a newly remodelled room and it looked new to me. Everything was clean and bright. I also visited their restaurant for dinner and was amazed by the presentation and quality of the steak and it was very reasonable as well. Breakfasts were also very tasty with nice fluffy omelettes. I would recommend this place to my friends as I found my experience positive and well worth what I paid. I had checked around for rates and this was the most reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Tamara T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 February 2006

The hotel may look okay from the outside for $70 a night but it was definitely not worth it inside. I needed an express hotel that had the airport shuttle and I should have stayed down the road at one of the other 3 hotels that were about the same price. The elevator smelled like kitty litter. The first room they gave us had a really strong odor of paint. They changed rooms for us and the first thing you see is a bed that is barely above the floor and sagging in the middle of the mattress. THe light fixture was coming off the wall, there were big cracks up the side of the wall and your room's front door felt like it used to be a motel door (outside) that had recent glass put up to make it feel inside. It looks like it had been an average hotel (like a Holiday Inn)in its prime but now looks like something from the bad side of town.

We had pre-paid two nights, one on each end of our trip to Mexico. When we came back our flight was a little early and we actually picked up our car with our 4 year old daughter and hurried to catch the last ferry to Vancouver Island at 10:45pm even though it meant driving until 2am to get home to Victoria just to sleep in our own beds and not experience that awful hotel again.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Bridgeport
Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport

Been to Executive Inn Express Richmond? Share your experiences!