“Platinum member receives nothing”

Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #19 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Platinum member receives nothing”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Per Marriott website, one of the benefits of being a Platinum member is "Guaranteed Platinum arrival gift":

Get more when you check in. As a Platinum member, you’ll receive a special gift upon arrival at all participating hotels, offering you a choice of an amenity gift or bonus points. (Amenity gift not available at The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION and Marriott Vacation Club locations.) If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies. [PLATINUM ONLY]

At Residence Inn, Platinum member will have a choice of either 200 points or Food/Drink. (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi)

At the time when I checked-in, the front desk didn't mention this to me, and I forgot that either due to long-haul flight and it was almost 12AM. Last night I just realized this benefit. So this morning I walked to front desk (still during my stay) and reminded them failure delivery of "Platinum arrival gift". Then I was surprised: the answer from the staff was like this, "We never do this to any platinum, and it's been a long time"...

Then I told him to check on Marriott's website. He said not necessarily, but I will give you a box of chocolate, as little treatment, for this time only. It is really a tiny tiny tiny box of chocolate. Obviously, I denied. First of all, I should have the choice, but you only offer me a chocolate. Secondly, you failed to deliver what a platinum member should get at the beginning. Then I reminded you on different day, but you are not willing to double check Marriott's policy. Thirdly, according to what he said, I believe most platinum members who had stayed at this property missed the benefit.

Are you kidding me, this happens to a Marriott property that has 4.5 rating on TripAdvisor, with only 1 poor review?!!!

Essentially the front desk just does not know the very basic stuff. They shouldn't qualify and need to go back to training.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tonywush
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear TonyWush,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. More importantly, I would like to extend an apology for the lack of recognition and benefits you received.

I have shared your comments with the Front Desk team and required a person by person acknowledgement of what our loyal Marriott Rewards guests can expect as benefits of their membership and loyalty.

I invite you to contact me directly about this experience as I would like to get more detail about the dates of your stay to ensure I have all the details to fully address this issue.

Suzanne Allemeier, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hudson, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently traveled to the Pacific Northwest with my children with a two day stop in Vancouver. Due to unforseen circumstances, I had to make a change in my reservation at this hotel. The General Manager Suzanne, went over and above to help me with the change...customer service you just don't see any more. The property is beautiful, modern, clean, and in a great location (3 blocks from the water taxi that takes you to Granville Island). The pool, workout room, and restaurant are excellent as well. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Lori,

Thanks so much for the great review and kind words. I'm so glad we were able to assist, and that you enjoyed your stay and time in Vancouver.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked a 2 Queen Studio room - beautiful, large room with small kitchen, good refrigerator, new decoration, good bathroom. Good space. All clean.
Check in very smooth even though we arrived before the check in time.
Free breakfast was good. On mondays (due to Cruise Ship sail aways, it is a bit overcrowded)
Free wireless internet in our room was great fand really worked.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thanks for the review and for providing great feedback on the wifi and breakfast.

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked a King Studio room - beautiful, large room with small kitchen.
Bed was so comfortable - we want to buy one.
Check in very smooth even though we arrived after midnight.
Free breakfast was great - fresh fruit, yogurts, cereal, breads and hot food selection.
Good value for money overall.
Location was great for getting into city centre or sea front.
Computers and printers were great for printing off from IPads and IPhones.
Free wireless internet in our room was great for keeping in contact with home

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter - try to get one high up
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
It's lovely to read that you slept so comfortably in the hotel, and loved breakfast and our business centre computers. I want to buy one of our beds too - they are the best I've slept in!

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I travelled to Vancouver for two nights with our daughter. I booked two rooms (studios in Residence Inn parlance) and requested that they be adjoining. The website said the configuration existed. You probably already know what happened when we arrived at the front desk. Though we booked a month ahead, and I have Marriott Gold status, the best that could be offered was rooms at opposite ends of the floor, which admittedly are not that long in this vertical building. Tired from a frustrating wait to get through the tunnel on the way in to the city, we were disappointed that our request could not be honored. Only when we got to our floor did we discover that the furnishings were slightly different. Our daughter ended up in the room with a couch, and my husband and I had a single chair.
Price--not inexpensive, despite my review title, but then nothing in Vancouver is. We appreciated having a good sized refrigerator and microwave plus a counter with two bar stools. Since we were three, one of us ate at the desk. Parking is available by the hotel for a fee. We parked our car and left it, walking, cabbing, and taking the trolley tour. Other reviewers cover the ample breakfast, where hot and cold food were nicely presented and refreshed regularly. The staff was prompt about closing it down at the appointed hour so don't be a latecomer.
Location--appreciated being by Davie Street where we could find affordable, ethnic restaurants and close to the seawall where people were enjoying the summer evenings.
Overall, staying at this Residence Inn is a pretty good choice when you are in Vancouver.

2 Thank RuthMcc
Thank you for such a detailed review. I'm delighted you enjoyed the hotel and the location.

I'm sorry we were not able to accommodate your adjoining room request. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee room placement requests due to constantly changing room inventory availability. One tip, though, is to call the hotel directly and make the request in person - while it still cannot be guaranteed, it helps in the forward planning and room assigning, and increases the chances of the hotel being able to meet the request.

Slough
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for two nights, single occupancy. Used Booking.com to book a Skyline room, which is one with a guaranteed view and above the 14th floor, a week in advance. Rang the morning of my visit to say I might be late checking in due to ferry timings. When I arrived at 9pm they had "sold out" of the rooms I'd booked. How?! I'd reserved it. They appear to have different standards to the rest of us.

Anyway, the room they gave me was a king sized room on the 12 floor with a view of the parking lots opposite (See Google Earth, etc). The room itself was fine, no issues at all with it, apart from the view.

The staff were all excellent. They even lent me an ethernet cable as the free internet is wired only, in the rooms, wireless in the lobby.

The complimentary breakfast was a reasonable standard with plenty to choose from.

Parking was interesting but ok. You have to drive round the back and then through two sets of gates, but both are controlled with your room card which is some sort of NFC affair.

On the whole I thought it was expensive for a single occupancy two night stay and I would probably not have booked this venue had there been others available at the time. But for what it is, it's pretty good.

Room Tip: If you want a definite skyline room then you have to pay when you make your reservation or they'...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your review and comments. I'm very sorry we were not able to accommodate the room type you booked. This is very unusual. Please rest assured that it makes no difference whether you pay in advance or not as to how this is treated by the hotel. If you would like to contact me directly with more details, I'd like to review in more detail.

In regard to the internet, all internet access in the hotel is complimentary and high speed. We offer wireless throughout the hotel, and wired access points in the guest suites. In order to use the wired access points, as you noted, we provide an ethernet connection cable for guests to use while in the hotel.

San Jose
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here at the end of the cruise prior to returning home the next day. The rooms are huge; standard Residence Inn breakfast with plentiful food and constant re-stocking/clearing of tables. Lobby very open and comfortable (large TV to watch the world cup) with the computers/printers nearby. It's on the West-end of downtown (gay community), so the walking around was easy enough for us to walk everywhere: The Lookout at Harbour Centre Tower; to the BC Place (Stadium); to Yaletown (quaint area with restaurants), then back to the hotel. We also walked to a local Mexican restaurant for dinner and then walked around the Pacfic Centre shopping center (underground mall). The front desk folks were very helpful in directing us to the nearest ATM around the corner from the hotel and then storing our luggage;the taxi service is plentiful to take us to the Vancouver Aquarium and back to the hotel. When we returned, the hotel front desk retrieved our luggage and called the taxi service (that would accommodate our party of 3 plus luggage) to the airport.

1 Thank Disneylovers
Sounds like you had a great time in Vancouver and proved the reviews about what a great city it is to walk around in.

Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown,