“Nice hotel, great location, Friendly staff! Breakfast could be better.”

Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Nice hotel, great location, Friendly staff! Breakfast could be better.”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Overall this is quite a nice hotel and well-managed hotel in Downtown Vancouver. The location is in my opinion so convenient because it is closer to English Bay instead of the water front at Coal Harbor (where the cruise ships arrive). This puts the hotel right in the middle of all the important stuff in Vancouver. It gives you easy access (walking distance, or short bus ride) to both the heart of downtown (Robson Square, Coal Harbor, Stanley Park etc.) the hip and picturesque Yaletown area (also walking distance down Davie Street) and even the beautiful districts around English Bay such as Kitsilano or the tourist hot spot Granville Island. It might be a ten to fifteen minute walk if you want to get to the Skytrain station or other train links but the buses down Burrard Street (2 min walk) or Davie take you anywhere you want in no time. Besides Vancouver is perfect for walking and distances are really much shorter than they seem on the map!

The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful and will always provide you with whatever information you may require. I would like to thank Mr. Mike especially who repeatedly went out of his way to give me and my family valuable information about the city, getting around, and also great advice about the hotel in general (which rooms to ask for, breakfast, laundry and so on). We stayed here for 16 days and he was always a pleasure to talk to and made sure everything was as good as it could possibly be!

The only thing that was unfortunately below standard at the Residence Inn was the breakfast buffet (which was included in the room rate). This was a very limited and disappointing 'selection' of unhealthy foods, which could hardly be put together to form some sort of a good breakfast. Quite a sad and disappointing sight, especially if you're from Europe and were looking forward to the famous North American breakfast standards!
The breakfast area was also quite overcrowded at times, although the friendly staff did everything they could to get everything cleaned up.

So overall if you're looking for a conveniently located, modern hotel with good facilities (pool, gym, laundry, rooms with kitchens available etc.), free wifi and most importantly helpful and friendly staff, the Residence Inn will not disappoint!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view, on a higher floor, gives you less street noise and beautiful scener...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear TravelTimur16,

What a great explanation of how Vancouver is laid out and how to get around. I'm sure our future guests will be very grateful for your first-hand details. I'm delighted that you loved our location and service - and thank you for recognizing Mike at the Front Desk.

I'd love to hear specific feedback on what you'd like to see added or removed from the breakfast buffet. We offer fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, fresh breads, as well as eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes and daily features.

Kind Regards, Suzanne Allemeier, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights pre-cruise to Alaska. Great location, easy to walk to most everywhere. The hop-on/hop-off trolley stops right in front of the hotel. Breakfast buffet was typical, and it was kept stocked. This is a great place for families so there were lots of children running around during breakfast. Pool is nice, but hot tub doesn't work. Front desk staff were helpful. Even gave us an umbrella to use when it rained.

The room was large, as was the bathroom. Very updated, modern kitchen, bathroom had lots of storage. Now this is a minor complaint....decor was quite dark and I found the layout of the furniture really quite odd. The bed was right in in front of the entry and was pushed up to the closet. The night stand literally touched the doors to the closet. The closet doors could not be closed as there was a large safe in the closet which was deeper than the closet so both sliding doors were pushed to one side. Iron and ironing board were on the side of the closet where the doors were pushed to, so I had to climb on top of the safe to get the ironing board out. The sofa was slid into a corner of the room when it could have easily been pulled out for a better arrangement. The room was on the 3rd floor on front of the hotel, right over the front desk. The view wasn't pleasant at all, (see photo) and just a tad bit noisy at busy times of the day. However, did not interfere with our sleep. If view is important to you, ask for a room on the back.

Room Tip: If view is important to you, ask for a room on the back.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear J6333,

Thank you for your review. I'm always pleased to see reviews from guests who enjoyed their time in the hotel. Our location is constantly recognized as being wonderful, and as you noted in your comments and picture, we ARE downtown.

Thank you for the detailed feedback on your room design and furniture placement. I will make sure to review the set up again to see if we can make improvements in flow and access.

Could you please let me know in more detail what the concern with the hot tub was? It has not been out of service recently, except for our weekly maintenance closure on Wednesdays from 8am to noon.

Scotland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We visited this hotel in May on our return from a cruise to Alaska. We were travelling with our 1 year old son. When we arrived the night manager was quite curt when I asked for a travel cot. He stated they were only available in full service Marriotts. Following further discussion we managed to get one as I was told I should have used the word crib rather than cot. Disappointing that manager was rude.
The room was large, clean and spacious. Bed was very comfortable. Lots of pillows and good topper. Lots of space for wee one.
Breakfast was a bit of a battle to get a table and a high chair. Very busy and only 1 chair available for all to use. Waitress quite rude. Sitting feeding baby on knee while trying to eat own breakfast was not easy. Second day we ate in our bedroom as less hassle.
The accommodation is superb but the service could do with some improvement. With a more happy and engaged team along with a less chaotic breakfast I would rate as excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ShipsDoctor
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear ShipsDoctor,

While I'm very happy to hear the accommodation and hotel services exceeded your expectations, I am very sorry to hear your comments on the service you received. Associate engagement of the positive kind is the area we receive the most compliments on. I will share your comments with the team and know they will be very disappointed to see this review.

Due to our room configuration, we do not provide rollaway beds - which are also known as cots - but we definitely do have baby cribs and high chairs available for our smallest guests.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the deficiencies in service you experienced. I'd very much appreciate discussing the details with you personally. Please feel free to contact me at sallemeier@silverbirchhotels.com.

Kind Regards,

Suzanne Allemeier, General Manager
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booked a room with two queen beds on a Marriott free night certificate. Upon checking in, the receptionist asked how many people we had and I said four (my wife, son, and step-son). She said she would need to charge $40 extra ($20/person). I told her I had asked Marriott at the time of reservation if the certificate was good for a room of four people and was told it was good for a King room or a room with two queen beds. After arriving at my room, I get a call from a young man claiming to be the manager who stated that we could not stay in the room as the fire marshal would only allow three people in the room. When I told him that he could assign me to a room that could accommodate four people he said I would need to purchase an additional room as no rooms accommodating four people was available. I went down to talk face to face. He now changed to it was "hotel policy" to not allow four people in the room. He basically stated we could go find lodging elsewhere and they would do nothing to compensate us for the inconvenience of getting kicked out of the hotel where we had a reservation for months. Long story short - I agreed to pay $20 just to get it behind us. I guess I should have tipped him for contacting the 'fire marshal' so that four of us could 'legally' stay in a room with two queen size beds. HA

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JeffH232
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Jeff H,

I’m so very sorry that your stay with us was fraught with complications and misunderstandings.

I have researched your reservation and found that you were reserved a room for 2 people with one queen bed for your stay.

At the time of your arrival and discovering that the reservation contained an error in the number of people, we unfortunately did not have a room available that would comfortably or safely accommodate 4 people. At that moment our option was to offer a second room at a discount for you and your family.

We strive to provide our guests with accurate information when reserving with us and our website clearly indicates the maximum occupancy on our rooms as well as the space and additional person charges.

I can assure you that there was no attempt at deception regarding your stay nor our policies for maximum occupancy. I do apologize that you felt you were lied to - it was certainly not our intent. The safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority and our maximum occupancies help us serve our guests better on a daily basis as well as in the case of an emergency.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you to the Residence Inn by Marriott Vancouver Downtown again in the future.

Pueblo
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This Marriott Residence Inn is terrific. Nice sized rooms, small complete kitchen, free breakfast, laundry facilities, excellent and gracious staff. It's close to downtown (on Granville Island), close to Stanley Park, safe underground parking, about a 20 minute drive to the Museum of Anthropology and UBC. It's a very new and well run hotel, we would stay here again. No complaints.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, and there was very little street noise. We hardly heard our neighbors f...
Green Features: Good, they offer the option to save towels and there are energy saving lights in room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Pueblochick,

This review is terrific! Thank you. Our location is one of our best features and one that our guests love. Downtown is at our doorstep and walkable, with easy access to other areas of Vancouver by car or transit.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Liphook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Started our vacation in Vancouver at the Residence before our tour of the Rockies and then came back to the Residence on our return to Vancouver. Both stays were excellent, the rooms were spacious/comfortable and very clean and offered great facilities including a well equipped kitchenette and super bathroom. All staff were helpful and very pleasant / cheerful. Slight hiccup with the car parking - only used the car park one day but charged for 3. The error was sorted without any issue. The breakfast was excellent, albeit with a full hotel needed to get there early rather than late to avoid the crowds, albeit the kitchen staff were very efficient in clearing tables and replenishing the food. Hotel in a great location for waking to Stanley Park (1/2 hr) and great restaurants in the opposite direction. All-in-all a super place to stay.

Green Features: Food bin plus general recycling bins in the room - excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear FamilyTravel4X4,

I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your first AND second stay with us. Thank you for sharing the information about Stanley Park and restaurant locations. Davie Street, Robson Street and Yaletown are all foodie meccas and all within a few steps or blocks from the hotel. Good to hear the parking error was resolved quickly, and yes, its more relaxing to have breakfast prior to the last 1/2 hour - Good call!

western Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

What a great place to spend a one week vacation!!! Clean, bright rooms. Helpful staff. Awesome breakfast. We walked everywhere without trouble.
Bike rental just down the street also great. Loved the non smoking!!!! Pool and hot tub got a bit dirty on the weekend, but was clear by Tuesday.

• Stayed July 2014
Suzanne A, General Manager at Residence Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Chillinsmokefree,

All Marriott Hotels are 100% non-smoking in North America, and Vancouver has a Clean Air bylaw that doesnt allow smoking on balconies or within 20 feet or air intakes (windows/doorways, etc), so you can enjoy our clean air!

Our location is perfect for walking around, and if you're so inclined, you can rent bikes across the street and take advantage of the many dedicated bike lanes around downtown and the city - there's even one right in front of the hotel.

Great to hear you had such a good time. Hope to see you back on your next trip to Vancouver.

Kind Regards,