“Nice stay - perfect for families”
Review of Carmana Plaza

Carmana Plaza
Ranked #43 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Had a very pleasant stay at the Carmana in April. The hotel resembles more a condo than a hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite (4 adults and one toddler). There was plenty of room for all of us - a double bed in one room, 2 twins in the other, and a pull out sofa bed. The rooms were clean and well kept. Only complaint is the bedsheets were really thin, but that is a very minor issue. The kitchen came in very handy as we were able to make breakfast in the morning and keep milk and fruit in the fridge for our 2 year old. The location was also great, right next to Robson Street with lots of shopping and restaurants close by. Staff in the lobby were very friendly. Highly recommend the hotel for families.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank skeToronto

Reviewed 23 April 2008

I have stayed at the Carmana for a consistent 5 months on Business. This has become my 2nd home for that period. The staff is super friendly and always say hello when passing the front desk. It is clean and modern and the housekeeping staff is always friendly. There is a coin-op laundry on the third floor, and one huge perk is that they do your dry cleaning for free (there is a $5.00 daily accrual I think). The fitness centre is a joke however. Fintess Worls is a block away on Bute / W. Georgia.

It is more like condo living as opposed to a hotel, but with daily maid service. The basic suite could use a better TV and a DVD player. I am amused that they still provide a VCR and want to charge a daily rate for a DVD player. The internet is free, but not wireless. Overall very comfortable, and FREE PARKING. not that you would need it, you can walk to everything. Another perk is the liquor store is right downstairs. Just plug your nose when passing Tim Horton's downstairs also. The many local bums use the sidewalk for a toilet, and the scent is noticable.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank jtthunder
Reviewed 21 April 2008

this was a good apartment base to explore Vancouver before we went on to ski at whistler.

It was a good size with everything we needed. The staff were very helpful and its location meant that you could reach all the different tourist locations easily using local transport or just by walking

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ramjudd
Reviewed 19 February 2008

My husband and I and our 1 year old stayed in a standard one bedroom suite at the Carmana for a weekend. We checked in on a Sat. and left on Monday. It was our first time in Vancouver and we wanted a place downtown that would have a separate bedroom (so we could still hang out while our daughter slept) and be under $200. The Carmana Plaza exceeded our expectations. We got a corner room on the 11th floor. It was gorgeous - very clean, spacious and the view of the city from our floor to ceiling window in the living room was awesome. We checked in at around 5:30pm and freshened up a bit before going to Red Robin for dinner (literally a 2 min. walk). With a one year old in tow, Red Robin is our kind of place! We then walked up and down Robson street and enjoyed people watching and window shopping. The next day, after our daughter took her morning nap, we spent the day walking through Stanley Park (about a mile away) and enjoying the aquarium. We then had dinner at Lombard, a great casual Pizzeria on Burrard St. We loved that the hotel was so close to everything we needed (restaurants, shopping, entertainment). There is also a 7-11 (where we could get milk for our toddler) just down the street and a drugstore on Robson street. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. We got some help lugging all our luggage to the parking area when we checked out. The only thing we didn't like about the Carmana was that we had to pay for parking (15$ a day) and also for internet connection (10$ a day). But I guess that is how they can keep the rates low. Also, they only give you one key even if 2 adults were staying in the room. However, my husband and I were always together so it didn't matter and perhaps they would've given us a second key had we asked. All in all, we had a wonderful time and we are considering staying there again next time we are in Vancouver. We would book a 2 bedroom suite then since we would bring one set of grandparents along with us!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Erika_s_Mama
Reviewed 28 November 2007

I stayed at the Carmana on and off for approximately 3 months for work. I travel a lot for work and this is my favorite hotel. The rooms are extremely spacious, the property is clean and everything is very private. You get free internet access and full cable and maid services.
This does feel way more like an apartment than a hotel though but I found it far more comfortable. Being able to make my own food and have a lot of space was a definite plus.
Be warned though on the Robson side of the building it can be noisy since a lot of dump trucks go through here.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank jac2028
Reviewed 30 October 2007

Stayed at the Carmana Plaza September 30, 2007 for three nights with my wife and 13yr old son. Booked hotel for three persons in a one bedroom apartment expecting to have a sofa or pull out bed for the boy. On arrival I was shocked after being advised that I had to pay and extra $15.00 a night for the pull out bed! After my expressions of dissapointment and embarassment in the main foyer I requested that I speak to the manager who saw that I was not impressed and offered the sofa bed all inclusive. I must say though that apart from the attempted rip off, I would stay again as the hotel was very clean, well located and serviced.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2007

We travelled as a family of 4 and stayed in 3 different hotels in Vancouver (Times Square & Pacific Plaisades). This was our favourite for comfort, location and value. We had a very large 2 bed suite on 30th floor with small balcony. There were 2 bathrooms full of soaps etc , good kitchen with all amenities, TV , Hi-fis etc all over the place and very stylish minimalist decor. The hotel is right in the heart of the busy Robson St area and can be noisy with the windows open but is fun if you want to go for a stroll in the evening and be in the middle of the action. Also good for shopping, restaurants etc In fact you can walk almost anywhere. The lobby is also comfortable and stylish if you need to wait around and there are 3 lifts which get you to your room without having to wait. All in all a high quality suites/hotel which i wouldn't hesitate to recommend in its price range.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family