“Good hotel in a bad location.”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #63 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in a bad location.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Got the skytrain from the airport to downtown and wasn't aware you could get the 6 bus from there to the hotel, but still the hotel is nowhere near a skytrain stop, which is what I'd have preferred.

I'm not someone who likes to pay taxis for such obscene amounts. So decided to walk to the hotel, a 20 min walk with luggage is not going to set you off in a good way.

1. Nice suite was offered with reliable wifi, watches some sport streams during our stay.
2. Shower instructions not provided, so had to speak to the desk about that.
3. Good cooling and heating feature in the room, fan was powerful and kept us cool in the hot weather.
4. Terrible location as already mentioned. Yes it's in a shopping district, but what use is that if it's so far from a sky train stop.
5. Clean room and bed, but a smallish bathroom in comparison.
6. Very slow lifts. Standards had been set by two other hotels during our trip to Canada.
7. Breakfast was not varied. We ordered continental and were given enough to last us till lunch, but come on, would it hurt to give us some variety?
8. $200 dollars were placed on hold for the stay, negotiated down from $300, much too high to justify.

Overall happy with the stay itself, but I didn't like the location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndianaB0nes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This was not our first experience at the Sandman on Davie. The room and service was very good, unchanged from our last visit a year ago. Everything was clean and the room was serviced well. We choose this hotel because it is a short walk to English Bay, Stanley Park, and downtown. The bake shop and a fruit market nearby makes picking up snacks convenient. There is a bus stop a few doors down, and the Yaletown Canada Line station is a short cab ride straight down Davie. Next trip, I will stay at the Sandman

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cousinkk
Abbotsford, BC
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel has a fabulous location and if you have an ocean view (and it’s nice weather) it’s really beautiful. However, this property needs updating badly. The bathroom was tacky and I couldn’t tell if it wasn’t clean, or it needs painting. Actually the entire suite could have done with a coat of paint. As for the fold out sofa-bed, can you say army cot? The suite is cramped, especially in the bedroom. The TV in the living space wasn’t working, the elevators are slow, and the underground parking is hideous.

My nephew had upgraded our room and he was charged two nights for it, though we were there only one. Good thing he noticed. When we checked out and went to our vehicle, we had a $100.00 parking ticket because the desk clerk had forgotten to put the charge on our bill and give us the pass to put on our dash. I don’t work in a hotel so I’m not familiar with the drill; I assume they know their job. She certainly knew on check-in we had a vehicle and had parked there because I complained about how low the clearance is – we drive a Van.

The Sandman seems to be building a number of new hotels, my suggestion would be to renovate some of the properties they already own.

Room Tip: I would definitely find out on booking if they have any rooms that have been updated recently. Also...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 482Cat

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Do hotel owners think people are stupid? Do they think that somehow magically they won't hear the thumping bass music from a nearby club that starts at 09:30 and finishes near daybreak? And do they think they won't be absolutely pissed off like I am take every possible measure using social media to warn people about this issue? Why not be honest and up front with people - there's a radical suggestion. People will at least appreciate your honesty; unlike me and others who will simply broadcast to the world to stay away at all costs. I am on the 20th floor, my second night of no sleep whatsoever because of non-stop bass that reverberates through the place and makes it impossible to get any peace, let alone sleep. At check-in you get the 'we've upgraded you to a harbour view, we hope you enjoy the beautiful view'. So far so good; but of course no mention that we apologise in advance, that you are unlikely to get any sleep unless your are deaf as the music will make it impossible. And if that wasn't enough, the place is tired, run down and the neighbourhood is best described as 'dodgy', at worse 'possibly dangerous after dark'. It's dirty, smelly and full of questionable characters. I'm sorry, there has to be much better than this in Vancouver at this price. My travel agent will be warned to never, ever put people in this dump again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, if this place is the last resort, demand a room where the noise from the club...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank samoht103
Valentina T, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy our location - in the heart of Davie Village and walking distance to Stanley Park, Robson Street, and the beach at English Bay. Davie Village is a vibrant neighbourhood with nightlife and lots of good restaurants amidst a prime residential community. Quite unlike the ghost-town that many downtown locations become after business hours.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stay, well used to stay, at the Sandman on Davie very often for both business and leisure. I have always found it a clean and relatively comfortable hotel. Customer service was never truly stellar but, I learned to avoid the desk. This last visit was by far the worst. The double lock on the door didn't work (wouldn't lock), no workable remote for the bedroom TV, and a bracket on the wall with a missing hairdryer that I cut my fingers on (it was close to the bathroom light switch). After complaining and being told by the Asst. manager he couldn't do anything because my room was prepaid and that he could give me his GM's card he finally offered to have his GM call me. It's over a week later and I'm still waiting...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MJAVictoria
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay. Unfortunately we were not given the opportunity to correct the deficiencies during your stay, or move you to another room. Our hotel team is very focused on customer service, and will always do their best to resolve any issues our guests may have during their stay.

You had stayed with the Sandman Suites on Davie multiple times in the past and we value your repeated patronage. We hope you will return to our hotel again in the near future so we may meet your expectations once again.
Woodstock
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Clean room, pleasant staff, comfortable room. A bit run down but still nice. Good location. Lots of options for breakfast close by. A short walk to the ferries. Nice to have a kitchen in the room so you can stock up on a few meals and snacks. One elevator was out of order for two of our three days there, leading to long,frustrating waits.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Overall this was a really good hotel. It was well-located in the West End, with tons of restaurants around, and a brisk ten minute walk to Robson St. I might have preferred to be more centrally located, but it wasn't an issue at all. Front desk was mostly really friendly, and we got a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view suite on the 18th floor, after we unexpectedly had to stay an extra night. Ocean view was awesome!

Price was very reasonable for a one bedroom suite with a pull out couch (about 160USD per night). Loved the amenities in the rooms - the washer/dryer, the kitchenette, etc. The bedding was amazing.

Would recommend. The only snafu was that one lift wasn't working during our first two nights, which was horrendous - it was a 15 minute wait for a lift - we ended up taking the stairs most of the time. The last night, it had been fixed, and waits for the lift were much more reasonable and quick.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Valentina T, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your positive review of the Sandman Suites on Davie. Our hotel is also just 3 blocks from English Bay and the AquaBus to Granville Island, and 10 minute walk to Stanley Park.

My apologies for the elevator wait time. One of the elevator cars was shut down for 2 days as it needed parts, and the hotel was close to full capacity. I am happy to report that everything is back in normal operation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sandman Suites on Davie soon.