“One of my Favourite Hotels”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #63 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed at the Sandman Suites several times when I come to Vancouver, and plan to continue each time I return. I stay in a room quite high up (20-22 floor) and it's one of my favourite things to roll a chair out onto the balcony and gaze out over both the city lights and English Bay.
The rooms themselves have always been impeccably clean, with friendly and polite staff all around. I am always impressed by how many features there are in the rooms...full stove and fridge, clothes washer and dryer, nice toiletries, etc...
I love the wood floors and the way the rooms are laid out. The hotel itself is in a nice location...I always walk down to the path along the Bay, and the Vancouver Aquarium is also a nice trip if you are a good walker. This most recent time I walked to Gastown, and was that much more grateful I was staying in the West End...it was far too touristy for my taste in Gastown, whereas the West End feels pretty normal (although I am not over the moon about some of the "specialty" toy and video shops nearby). If you take the Canada Line from YVR, the walk is a bit of jaunt (especially since it's mostly uphill) but I personally enjoy that after a long flight.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The location is terrific. Right in heart of Davie; just a 10 minute walk to Robson and 10 minutes to English Bay/Stanley Park. Moxies in hotel is amazing. Great city views. Be sure to go for a high floor with a view. Worth the extra.

Room Tip: take a high floor with view....worth it
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

The room was nice enough but I do travel alot and always check the mattress! Alittle freaked with hairs and other things stuck on mattress! The suite needs a really good clean....couch too and windows and mirror closet doors showing quite a layer! Also dusty and yes a $200 deposit on our room which in all of my many years of travel have never had that done before!?? Like a valid Gold visa isn't enough!? Also we had to ask why are room was so expensive...otherwise we were not given any "heads up" re-guarding this $200 deposit? The Suite is nice like a little condo just needs yes a good clean...not just a quick wipe always. So yes the deposit? I could understand if no credit card or we looked rowdy but my Mom and I are both seniors!? Anyways the iffy cleanliness of room and deposit are my only complaints!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We were booked to stay here two nights and checked out after the first night. Went to have a shower the first morning and there was a used washcloth and the bathroom smelled of urine. Addressed it with the front desk and checked out. Also elevator was very slow as one wasn't working. Location is great but housekeeping needs an overhaul...don't understand how you can miss a dirty washcloth hanging from the curtain rod...
Not impressed.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank islandlexie
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

If you feel like waiting 15 min (no kidding) for the slowest elevator system I've experienced, then I guess this is a perfect hotel for you.
Also there's only 1-glas windows. Now in summertime it's ok. But it must be freeezing in wintertime.

• Stayed: June 2014
Valentina T, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I am sorry that you experienced some long waits for elevators during your stay. One of the elevators was being serviced and upgraded over the period of your stay, hence there were only 2 elevators running causing some delays during the peak hours.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to your visit again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very good west end location, close to the parks, and Granville island. Very walkable area. "Gay west end location". Rooms adequate,. Top floors have great views. A lot of bars and restaurants near by. Price was reasonable. Overall average hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for high room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 66jammer
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very comfortable and good location lifts very unreliable but staff very helpful. We got upgraded to penthouse suite on the third time we returned in a two week period. Complimentary breakfast was a bit hit and miss but as it wasn't being paid for we didn't care.Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BIGTREV_11

Thank you for being a repeat guest of the Sandman Suites on Davie. The restaurant is not operated by the hotel, but we will certainly pass on your comments to them. We are on an upgrade project with our elevators so there will be significant improvement soon.

We hope to welcome you back to the Sandman Suites on Davie again in the near future.