“Good location, but hotel a bit lacking..”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #63 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Mundesley, United Kingdom
“Good location, but hotel a bit lacking..”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We found the hotel easily enough, the car park however was a bit of a nightmare. We ended up stopping outside the front doors (make sure someone stays with the car though, traffic wardens are quick!) and asking at reception. The car park entrance is actually through an alley at the back. But once checked in we hoped our stress levels would drop. But it took over 10 minutes for a lift to take us to the 9th floor. And that was the quickest we got! Three lifts but only one working for the 2 nights we were there. It wasn't too bad walking down the 9 floors to get out, but a real pain waiting every time for a lift back up. And looking at previous reviews, it appears a regular occurrence. And for that alone I don't think we'd stay again. If you know there's a problem....FIX IT!
The room was adequate if a little dated. But nice to have a little kitchen and separate sitting area. Moxies bar & restaurant next door however was a delight. Good food and good service. And very reasonably priced. When we return in a few months we will certainly have another meal in Moxies; the hotel however will not be on our list.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poppyland3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed at the Sandman Suites several times when I come to Vancouver, and plan to continue each time I return. I stay in a room quite high up (20-22 floor) and it's one of my favourite things to roll a chair out onto the balcony and gaze out over both the city lights and English Bay.
The rooms themselves have always been impeccably clean, with friendly and polite staff all around. I am always impressed by how many features there are in the rooms...full stove and fridge, clothes washer and dryer, nice toiletries, etc...
I love the wood floors and the way the rooms are laid out. The hotel itself is in a nice location...I always walk down to the path along the Bay, and the Vancouver Aquarium is also a nice trip if you are a good walker. This most recent time I walked to Gastown, and was that much more grateful I was staying in the West End...it was far too touristy for my taste in Gastown, whereas the West End feels pretty normal (although I am not over the moon about some of the "specialty" toy and video shops nearby). If you take the Canada Line from YVR, the walk is a bit of jaunt (especially since it's mostly uphill) but I personally enjoy that after a long flight.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Kelowna
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The location is terrific. Right in heart of Davie; just a 10 minute walk to Robson and 10 minutes to English Bay/Stanley Park. Moxies in hotel is amazing. Great city views. Be sure to go for a high floor with a view. Worth the extra.

Room Tip: take a high floor with view....worth it
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

The room was nice enough but I do travel alot and always check the mattress! Alittle freaked with hairs and other things stuck on mattress! The suite needs a really good clean....couch too and windows and mirror closet doors showing quite a layer! Also dusty and yes a $200 deposit on our room which in all of my many years of travel have never had that done before!?? Like a valid Gold visa isn't enough!? Also we had to ask why are room was so expensive...otherwise we were not given any "heads up" re-guarding this $200 deposit? The Suite is nice like a little condo just needs yes a good clean...not just a quick wipe always. So yes the deposit? I could understand if no credit card or we looked rowdy but my Mom and I are both seniors!? Anyways the iffy cleanliness of room and deposit are my only complaints!

• Stayed June 2014
Kingston, ON
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We were booked to stay here two nights and checked out after the first night. Went to have a shower the first morning and there was a used washcloth and the bathroom smelled of urine. Addressed it with the front desk and checked out. Also elevator was very slow as one wasn't working. Location is great but housekeeping needs an overhaul...don't understand how you can miss a dirty washcloth hanging from the curtain rod...
Not impressed.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank islandlexie

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

If you feel like waiting 15 min (no kidding) for the slowest elevator system I've experienced, then I guess this is a perfect hotel for you.
Also there's only 1-glas windows. Now in summertime it's ok. But it must be freeezing in wintertime.

• Stayed June 2014
Valentina T, General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I am sorry that you experienced some long waits for elevators during your stay. One of the elevators was being serviced and upgraded over the period of your stay, hence there were only 2 elevators running causing some delays during the peak hours.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to your visit again.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very good west end location, close to the parks, and Granville island. Very walkable area. "Gay west end location". Rooms adequate,. Top floors have great views. A lot of bars and restaurants near by. Price was reasonable. Overall average hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for high room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends