“Met all our expectations”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #63 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Durham, United Kingdom
“Met all our expectations”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Great location, room facilities good, pool great, staff exceptionally helpful. Only downside is noise from the extractor fan above the night club next door - just stay on the pool side or high up then there's no problem - staff happy to change rooms. Gives you the option of self catering right in the heart of Vancouver. Overall very good - we would use again.

1 Thank Baly50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Seattle Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Only stayed 1 night, 17 July. Room was on 23rd floor facing the water , no complaints about that for sure. Check in was smooth, happy to say all 3 elevators working after reading of issues with them in earlier reviews. Room was very nice, hardwood floor in "kitchen" area and carpet in bedroom. Kitchen had all the niceties and along with coffee maker also had a separate hot pot for tea and anything else. Two TV's , 1 in bedroom. Bathroom was small as has been previous noted but nothing to complain about. Room also had combo washer/dryer, I tried to dry some pants but they got semi washed for some reason. If I was staying more than 1 day I would have asked the desk to look into it, see if it was me or the machine.

Parking for checking in is located behind the hotel, and the parking garage is there also. If you take the stairs from the lobby to the garage it is very easy to come out on wrong floor, just a lot of doors to go through. When walking to Robinson Street for shopping, take the 1st street to the west of the lobby, very nice tree lined 10 min walk , when its hot it is much nicer walking back up the hill in the shade.

I would say the room was ideal for 2 adults, if you had more it could get a little close depending how much time you spent there. Small children would be ok on a lower floor, the balcony is certainly sturdy and well built, but I'm sure some parents would be uneasy that high up.

Overall a very good deal, I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Finland
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We booked the hotel based mainly on the reviews here on Tripadvisor, the price and the services (kitchenette, washing macine in the room).

I would agree with all the positive reviews posted previously:

- excellent view (at least from 16th floor)
- good location (walking distance to Stanley Park, English Bay, Granville Island, etc.) and buses run nearby
- Supermarkets and other groceries within 50m from the hotel
- VERY friendly and helpful staff at the reception
- The room was well equipped (modern kitchen and washing machine) and clean.
- lots of good restaurants within 200m
- the surrounding area is a very pleasent with small houses and a relaxed atmosphere.

There are no more homeless people around Davie St. than anywhere else in Vancouver, but someone might feel uncomfortable about the hotel being in the middle of a gay district.

The streetlife is a bit noisy in the night but so is the aircon in the bedroom, so the outside noice shouldn't bother one too much. I would certainly stay here again if I travelled to Vancouver once more.

knebworth, herts. UK
Reviewed 13 June 2009

After mixed reviews my girlfriend and I opted for this property due to a great price for 7 nights. Any apprehension was lost from the start. We were greeted with a smile and at just on 13:00 our room was ready! One of 3 elevators did not work for the week we were there but the other 2 were ok. There are over 20 floors to service so it takes time!

Our stay on the 15th floor was great. The view was incredible and inside the suite was not bad either! Full modern stylish kitchen facilities including dish washer and washer/dryer were at our disposal. Large TV and Wi-fi, it had it all. The bedroom sported another large TV and air-con unit. Throughout the suite, plenty of hanging space and complimentary bath robes.

Davie st. has a great community spirit with many bars, restaurants and clubs nearby. Also 2 supermarkets meant everything was to hand. Public transport on doorstep and easy walking in any direction contributed to a great stay.

An excellent though pricey Moxie's grill bar/restaurant on site also provided room service. A complimentary safety deposit box was also a nice touch. Staff were very helpful and answered all my questions. Davie st. might not be for everybody since it has a large gay community with after dark noise, might pose a problem fo families.
Overall, it was tops! this property really enhanced our stay in this magnificent city.

1 Thank brian17
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Booked this hotel with reservations after reading reviews. I arrived early from Whistler, the front desk manager Justin, checked me right in. I had concerns over my car, as Vancouver does have a homeless problem and they like to break into cars. he said it was an issue, but to park my car on the lowest level of parking away from the gates. It was fine my whole stay, 3 levels down, the hotel is security locked also. He also gave me suggestions on what to do in the area, talked to him a few times, he was great.

The only issue was my room, it wasn't clean yet, this wasn't an issue to me though, as they checked me in early. Went back down and the manager Eugene was at the front desk, he was very concerned and apologized and I explained it was not a big deal to me ( as I checked in early), he immediately upgraded me to the Penthouse floor to a suite and offered to move my bags.

The room is great and have enjoyed it. Yes there are homeless, but all of Vancouver has this issue, just not this area, the elevators are slow, but whats 2 extra mins, yes there is street noise, IT'S A BIG CITY!. Everything is close, yaleville, shopping all close. This is a perfect hotel if your looking to be in the middle of the gay area of Vancouver.

Also try the restaurant, had lunch and drinks, the manager was friendly and the bartender Brian talked to me for hours about my 2 month long road trip and adventures he has taken. Food was great.

I would stay here again no problem......The high speed internet is free too

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank siucarnpb
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Hotel okay but we hated being approached for money every time we went out, and men sitting on sidewalk here and there with hats and signs out about needing money for food, and just in the two blocks by the hotel we'd often see 6-10 people in sleeping bags splayed on sidewalks. We were shocked, for Canada, or what we heard of Vancouver

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
SandmanSuitesOnDavie, Executive General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this review, 2 June 2009
First I would like to thank you for using Tripadvisor; it is guest feedback that encourages us to improve in areas that did not meet and exceed expectations.

I understand from your posting that you experienced pan handling and homelessness in Downtown Vancouver.

All future guests please know that we have 24hr security at the hotel and we do not permit pan handling on our property. We are located in the most popular area of Vancouver near English Bay Beach and Stanley Park. Vancouver is a very safe city with minimal homelessness and should you research our location you will find that it is very secure and inviting.

If anyone wishes to contact myself please call 604-681-7263.

Yours in hospitality,

Susan Anderson
Executive General Manager
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Stopped at the Sandman in February this year as part of our second trip to Vancouver. Compared to other hotels this was a fairly reasonably priced hotel. the rooms were nicely sized, and as we were ski-ing the washing machine came in handy.

We had room service on one occasion and this was very nice too.

Overall a good budget option of yuowant to be abel to cater for yourself.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple