“really NOT impressed...”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Don't be fooled by the super-glamour hall of this hotel...soon you will discover that the rooms are equipped with plywood furniture and that they would need a refurbishment. We had to ask for help beacause we were not able to open the french window but it turned out that it was blocked, so we had to move to another room because we needed some fresh air inside the room.
The kitchenette and the washing machine are very handy, and the view form the window is really nice, but all in all we would not come back in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mista-go
SandmanSuitesOnDavie, Executive General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2009

Thank you for staying at Sandman Suites on Davie. I apologize if we did not meet and exceed your expectations. I assure all readers that our hotel is fresh and new! The hotel opened in 2005 and has had numerous yearly renovations. Regarding the small window over the kitchen sink this does not open however all of our Suites have large balconies with sliding doors so you can enjoy the fresh air and panoramic views of Vancouvers spectacular mountains, city, and ocean!

If you have any questions please call me.

Yours in hospitality,

Susan Anderson
Executive General Manager

Reviewed 26 July 2009

Great location, room facilities good, pool great, staff exceptionally helpful. Only downside is noise from the extractor fan above the night club next door - just stay on the pool side or high up then there's no problem - staff happy to change rooms. Gives you the option of self catering right in the heart of Vancouver. Overall very good - we would use again.

1  Thank Baly50
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Only stayed 1 night, 17 July. Room was on 23rd floor facing the water , no complaints about that for sure. Check in was smooth, happy to say all 3 elevators working after reading of issues with them in earlier reviews. Room was very nice, hardwood floor in "kitchen" area and carpet in bedroom. Kitchen had all the niceties and along with coffee maker also had a separate hot pot for tea and anything else. Two TV's , 1 in bedroom. Bathroom was small as has been previous noted but nothing to complain about. Room also had combo washer/dryer, I tried to dry some pants but they got semi washed for some reason. If I was staying more than 1 day I would have asked the desk to look into it, see if it was me or the machine.

Parking for checking in is located behind the hotel, and the parking garage is there also. If you take the stairs from the lobby to the garage it is very easy to come out on wrong floor, just a lot of doors to go through. When walking to Robinson Street for shopping, take the 1st street to the west of the lobby, very nice tree lined 10 min walk , when its hot it is much nicer walking back up the hill in the shade.

I would say the room was ideal for 2 adults, if you had more it could get a little close depending how much time you spent there. Small children would be ok on a lower floor, the balcony is certainly sturdy and well built, but I'm sure some parents would be uneasy that high up.

Overall a very good deal, I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We booked the hotel based mainly on the reviews here on Tripadvisor, the price and the services (kitchenette, washing macine in the room).

I would agree with all the positive reviews posted previously:

- excellent view (at least from 16th floor)
- good location (walking distance to Stanley Park, English Bay, Granville Island, etc.) and buses run nearby
- Supermarkets and other groceries within 50m from the hotel
- VERY friendly and helpful staff at the reception
- The room was well equipped (modern kitchen and washing machine) and clean.
- lots of good restaurants within 200m
- the surrounding area is a very pleasent with small houses and a relaxed atmosphere.

There are no more homeless people around Davie St. than anywhere else in Vancouver, but someone might feel uncomfortable about the hotel being in the middle of a gay district.

The streetlife is a bit noisy in the night but so is the aircon in the bedroom, so the outside noice shouldn't bother one too much. I would certainly stay here again if I travelled to Vancouver once more.

Reviewed 13 June 2009

After mixed reviews my girlfriend and I opted for this property due to a great price for 7 nights. Any apprehension was lost from the start. We were greeted with a smile and at just on 13:00 our room was ready! One of 3 elevators did not work for the week we were there but the other 2 were ok. There are over 20 floors to service so it takes time!

Our stay on the 15th floor was great. The view was incredible and inside the suite was not bad either! Full modern stylish kitchen facilities including dish washer and washer/dryer were at our disposal. Large TV and Wi-fi, it had it all. The bedroom sported another large TV and air-con unit. Throughout the suite, plenty of hanging space and complimentary bath robes.

Davie st. has a great community spirit with many bars, restaurants and clubs nearby. Also 2 supermarkets meant everything was to hand. Public transport on doorstep and easy walking in any direction contributed to a great stay.

An excellent though pricey Moxie's grill bar/restaurant on site also provided room service. A complimentary safety deposit box was also a nice touch. Staff were very helpful and answered all my questions. Davie st. might not be for everybody since it has a large gay community with after dark noise, might pose a problem fo families.
Overall, it was tops! this property really enhanced our stay in this magnificent city.

1  Thank brian17
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Booked this hotel with reservations after reading reviews. I arrived early from Whistler, the front desk manager Justin, checked me right in. I had concerns over my car, as Vancouver does have a homeless problem and they like to break into cars. he said it was an issue, but to park my car on the lowest level of parking away from the gates. It was fine my whole stay, 3 levels down, the hotel is security locked also. He also gave me suggestions on what to do in the area, talked to him a few times, he was great.

The only issue was my room, it wasn't clean yet, this wasn't an issue to me though, as they checked me in early. Went back down and the manager Eugene was at the front desk, he was very concerned and apologized and I explained it was not a big deal to me ( as I checked in early), he immediately upgraded me to the Penthouse floor to a suite and offered to move my bags.

The room is great and have enjoyed it. Yes there are homeless, but all of Vancouver has this issue, just not this area, the elevators are slow, but whats 2 extra mins, yes there is street noise, IT'S A BIG CITY!. Everything is close, yaleville, shopping all close. This is a perfect hotel if your looking to be in the middle of the gay area of Vancouver.

Also try the restaurant, had lunch and drinks, the manager was friendly and the bartender Brian talked to me for hours about my 2 month long road trip and adventures he has taken. Food was great.

I would stay here again no problem......The high speed internet is free too

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank siucarnpb
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Hotel okay but we hated being approached for money every time we went out, and men sitting on sidewalk here and there with hats and signs out about needing money for food, and just in the two blocks by the hotel we'd often see 6-10 people in sleeping bags splayed on sidewalks. We were shocked, for Canada, or what we heard of Vancouver

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
SandmanSuitesOnDavie, Executive General Manager at Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2009

First I would like to thank you for using Tripadvisor; it is guest feedback that encourages us to improve in areas that did not meet and exceed expectations.

I understand from your posting that you experienced pan handling and homelessness in Downtown Vancouver.

All future guests please know that we have 24hr security at the hotel and we do not permit pan handling on our property. We are located in the most popular area of Vancouver near English Bay Beach and Stanley Park. Vancouver is a very safe city with minimal homelessness and should you research our location you will find that it is very secure and inviting.

If anyone wishes to contact myself please call 604-681-7263.

Yours in hospitality,