“not bad, great views and location”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
York, United Kingdom
“not bad, great views and location”
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I stayed here with various members of my family last year. We had 3 rooms, each with one bedroom, a foldaway bed in the lounge area and a kitchenette also in the lounge area, en suite. I stayed in a room facing the sea, which was fantastic as the views were lovely and we had a small balcony. My brother stayed in a room facing the opposite direction, which still had great views but if you have a choice then go for the rooms facing English Bay. The kitchen was fine, however I dont think that the water was drinkable, whether it was that we just happened to have some problems with it or that it is always like that Im not sure, but it was a bit of a pain. However the staff were very helpful and professional. The Sandman was fine, good in fact. It didn't impress me to the point where I can rave about it but I would stay there again. It is located on Davie Street which is what you could call the gay quarter - it is very central and the street is buzzing and interesting, but not really upmarket. I would recommend this hotel, perhaps even just for its location - close to the city centre, Stanley Park and English Bay, with easy links to other areas of Vancouver.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2010

The location and service were the best qualities at this hotel. The property is located on Davie Street, right in the heart of Vancouver's Gay Village. Near-by their are many ethnic and fast food restaurants, as well as a Moxies on-site, grocery stores, 24 hour pharmacy, convenience stores, an Internet cafe and many night clubs. Robson Street, the one of the city's prime shopping areas, is within walking distance, and public transportation taking you to the other areas of Vancouver is also near by.

The staff were excellent; very friendly and helpful, and the manager seemed to have a great deal of knowledge on the city's attractions.

The suites are excellent for the price you pay for them. They come equipped with a fair-sized fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer, coffee maker and even utensils and cooking equipment. The beds and bedding can use a bit of updating, but apart from that, I had no real complaints about it.

However, my one complaint about this property was the hit and miss connections with the free Internet. It would work fine sometimes, but some nights they were so bad, I would have to go to the Internet cafe down the road just to check my e-mail.

This hotel met my expectations to various levels, but I would be more than likely to return here if and when I come back to the Vancouver area.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ThisIsNotMe
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2010

pre-booked before going to Canada so was much cheaper than walking in to book. Well equipped apartment with a fab view of the ocean, brilliant restaurant downstairs which you could bill to your room - the food was amazing, the environment was great and service was top class, we ended up eating there nearly every night of our stay. I couldn't fault this accommodation, will stay there again when we go back.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kangercol
Vancouver
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Every suite feels like a private apartment -- in-suite laundry, kitchens, balconies, etc. The fitness centre has new equipment. Loads of restaurants and shops right at the doorstep. Sunset Beach/English Bay and seawall within walking distance. It's located on Davie Street, which is not exactly a touristy location -- you'll see the "real" Vancouver here, at its best and worst. But you're within easy walking distance of the Robson shopping strip, the funky/trendy Denman Street, Stanley Park, and the seawall and beaches.

The reason the hotel turned out so nicely was almost an accident. It was once a hotel under another name and a bit dumpy. A new developer bought it and tried illegally to convert the hotel into rental apartments. After fixing up the new digs, the city refused the request to change the license from hotel to apartments. Sandman came in and bought it and runs it as a hotel. Since then, a lot of new businesses have opened around the hotel and improved the neighbourhood substantially (organic grocer, coffee shops, restaurants, lounges). Though I lived in Vancouver, I moved for a couple of years and stayed here on a visit for two weeks, and family members have stayed a few times. Although not luxurious, it's a very comfortable, homey place to stay.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 1 December 2009

My partner and I stayed in Penthouse #6 for 3 nights over the last weekend in November. It was, without a doubt, an amazing room with a spectacular view of English Bay and the North Shore. From the jacuzzi tub, to the ultra-comfy bed, neat shower and the spacious room with a small kitchenette....it was worth every penny and more.

Price-wise, for this wonderful room, this was much more affordable than any other penthouse suite in the city (trust me, I did my homework). The location could not have been better, as we walked all over the city, throughout Stanley Park and enjoyed all the wonderful coffee shops & cafes that Davie Street had to offer.

The hotel staff were super friendly, real people, with diverse personalities and backgrounds (a true reflection of Vancouver). Housekeeping did a wonderful job each morning - Zoe deserves kudos for keeping our room super clean and neat. The Australian man that checked us in was so nice and helpful. I hope he has a wonderful trip back home this month.

Being from Vancouver, this vacation at home was made extra special by our stay at the Sandman Suites. My boyfriend, from Arizona, was super impressed with the room and location. Without any hesitation, I would stay here again and again. Thank you Sandman Suites and staff.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rwongcga
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 30 November 2009

My fiancee and I decided to escape American Thanksgiving by spending it in Vancouver. I decided to stay at the Sandman Suites on Davie based on other reviews. The hotel lives up to the review.
Incredible staff, very friendly, respectful and eager to help. They're also very knowledgeable of the area. I asked the front desk for recommendation and he pointed me to Tojo restaurant (the best Omakase experience I ever tried)
Chris, front desk, was extremely helpful when there were some problems with my credit charges. kudos to him
Definitely would come back to this hotel if I came back to Vancouver again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heou87
Ucluelet, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I stayed at the Sandman Suites for 3 nights in October. The entire experience at the hotel was a great one. The front desk check in was quick and easy with knowledgeable staff. (Though the decor in the lobby is quite strange, but it's personal taste.)
We got up to our room on the 18th floor and the view was amazing! We had the perfect view of the north shore mountains on one side and English Bay on the other (it made for a beautiful photograph).
The room was moderately spaced but was decorated beautifully and everything looked brand new. The bed was extremely comfortable, which is very important in what everyone looks for in a hotel!
The housekeeping service was excellent and fast and very accommodating with when to return to have the room made up.
The only complaint I have with this hotel was the bathroom was fairly tiny...it was clean and everything worked perfectly, just not so spacious.
The spa at the hotel was very nice. The staff were friendly and welcoming and put you at ease as soon as you walk in the door.
All in all, we had an excellent stay and would love to go back again for our next trip.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple