“A great Hotel”

Sandman Suites Vancouver - Davie Street
Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We have just come back from 3 weeks in this hotel and I cannot fault the service we received. The rooms were clean and well appointed and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We found that reception was first class and could not do enough to help. Yes, it is in the gay district, but we never felt threatened or intimidated. We certainly intend to return next year. Well done Sandman!

1  Thank Alan1766Spain

Reviewed 29 October 2010

Located in a rough and downmarket area with lots of down and outs hanging around. When emailing my booking I asked for a quiet room because we are both light sleepers. I had an email back saying that if we paid to upgraded to a high floor this would be quieter for us and we would get a room with a view of the bay. This we did and again stressed that we did not want to be near a lift, drinks machines etc. On checking in I specifically asked the receptionist 'this is not near a lift is it' to which she replied ' no, its not near a lift'. Could not believe it when we found our room, not only was immediately situated next to the lift , but the backs of both lifts were on the other side of living room wall. Because we had walked round the area for 3 hours waiting for the room and were so tired we decided to give it a go but at 12.30 at night could not stand the noise of the lifts any longer, and asked to be moved. The only other room they could offer us was on a low ffloor on a corner, with 2 busy roads below us. We are really angry that they blatently misled us at reception and did not take in to account one bit our requests. Broken hairdryer in the room and had to make 4 requests for a replacement, which took an hour to arrive. Expensive parking.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alix51_10
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Overall we enjoyed our stay. First I'll elaborate on the title of my review though.

We stayed 3 nights but on the first night we arrived in Vancouver with a car. We checked in very late at night & the car was to be returned first thing the next morning. We were told leaving our car for just those few hours would be $18 (steep enough). Then when we checked out we were charged 35% tax on top of that! When we complained we were
apathetically told it's standard in Canada not to include taxes in prices. But this is 35%, not the standard 12%! Therefore I felt that we should have been told about the steep parking tax but the staff member was insinuating that we were stupid for not knowing about it. How were we to know that? We're tourists! So it worked out to be $25 for parking there for only 5-6 hours. Ridiculous!

That experience was luckily inconsistent with the rest of our stay which was otherwise good. Nice renovated apartment in a convenient location with an excellent city view from our balcony. It was great having a washing machine & dryer given how long we'd been travelling for. The lifts to the top levels can take a long time though. Wifi was fine. Lots of places to eat nearby or there's a supermarket directly opposite the hotel. Most staff were helpful with just the exception of the person who couldn't understand why we found their parking rate to be overpriced.

1  Thank laguida
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We got a deal via Expedia, whereby we paid under the odds for the suite. It still was over-priced. Staying here is like staying in a grubby, badly furnished student flat,
The area its in wasn't great, but this wasn't helped by the taxi driver dropping us off near the bins in the lane round the back. It was a poor first impression that didn't really improve a great deal.

Management response:Responded 21 October 2010

We do thank this guest for staying with us and see that in this case we have fallen short of expectations. We are sorry that the Taxi brought this guest to the hotel thru the back lanes. There is a nice front entry area that should have been used here. All suites at the hotel are fully furnished with all appliances and we have different category suites with different view options listed on Expedia. Suites with a view of the city a nicer and the suites with an ocean view are even nicer with a spectacular view. But even the most basic suite meets all standards and is equally well equiped. Since I do not have the suite number that this guest stayed in I will do a detailed walk thru our lower level non view suites to try and identify and correct the concern raised here.

Cyrus Merchant

Reviewed 17 October 2010

If you don't care about wifi this would be an awesome place to stay. If you need to run the occasional ssh session though you should look at other options.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband and I just spent four nights at the Sandman on Davie and loved it. We have been to Vancouver many times and have stayed at a lot of different hotels but now we've found 'the one'. The location couldn't be better. As previously stated it's very close to everything you could want. The suites are very well appointed, and the kitchen is well stocked with everything you need to prepare a meal if you choose to. Having the option of a washer and dryer was an added bonus. We chose the ocean view suite when we booked and were very happy that we did, the view was amazing and well worth the extra cost.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

First time in Canada- and I went alone. I was a bit apprehensive about the whole thing- but it was a great area. Sandman suites on Davie was alright; the elevators have a mind of their own. W/in 2 blocks there are 2 Starbucks, a Greek deli (yummy pitas) Stepho's Greek restaurant (good calamari), Moxie's next door, a grocery store, a pharmacy, Kinko's, 2 french bakeries, 2 Indian- 2 sushi restaurants and a great produce store a few steps from the entrance of the hotel; you really don't have to go far for a lot of variety in food. The bus runs on Davie street which is convenient; and Robson street isn't far where there are a lot of apparel stores (& there's a Mall about a mile away). I took an amazing sight-seeing tour that picked me up from my hotel, and I felt plenty safe walking around looking for bookstores and restaurants at night by myself. Sandman definitely isn't the Marriott or Embassy Suites, but it suited me just fine for a trip alone. The hotel staff are OK, some are pretty nice & others act like they are there cause they have to pay their bills (they move pretty slow- but I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't let them stress me- until I needed toilet tissue and it took them 50 minutes to bring it to my room). The bedroom in the standard room is pretty small. I wouldn't have wanted to sleep there w/ another person; would have felt a bit claustrophobic. Was there for the sight seeing and that made it a great trip.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo