“A nice European hotel in Vancover's soho district”

Ranked #53 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I made my eight day paid in advance reservation with some trepidation as the reviews in TA were normally glowing but without details or hated the place but appeared overwrought. Overall its a clean and comfortable hotel in a kinda weird area and with a odd configuration.

Admittedly Vancouver brought a lot of things from Europe when it was build. Inadequate roads, high gas prices the french, and the plans for the Uptown. About half the rooms are normal sized rectangular rooms, some are quite a bit smaller and several are in odd configurations. My first room didn't have a fridge or microwave but the very nice front office staff was happy to move me. If you booked this hotel in London at these prices you would be tickled pink. If you are expecting normal american sized rooms you wont be happy.

the beds are semi firm but soft enough, large flat screens and crazy fast 30 mb wifi speed made it a deal for me.

Breakfast didn't vary much but there was enough to change it up day to day. four kinds of cold cereal, a nice pastry counter, breads, a hot meat, normally turkey bacon or sausage and pre made scrambled egg pucks. make it your self waffles and yogurt along with various beverages.

Yes the parking is crazy tight and weird pillars and angles make it difficult for all but the smallest of cars. my favorite became the space by the cardboard recycler dumpster, which gave you enough space to get out of the car. Some places the cement and bricks don't come together right and there is a parallel hall on the first floor, the narrow stairwells smell of carpet glue and the 16 foot ceilings on the forth floor that make you think the building was refurbished from the 30's but it was built in the 90's over a old taxi stand.

Overall its well cared for, comfortable and clean with a very friendly and helpful staff. It's in a mixed use area, light industrial, residential, a small mall and expensive condo units along with dive bars and the occasional hippy that talks to his dog, but overall i felt safe and comfortable (during the day) and the hotel was a great deal. I would stay again. Book a king or double room for the bigger rooms.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Owen S
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you very much for providing such an insightful review of the hotel, surrounding area and the city of Vancouver, I am happy to hear that your stay with us was pleasant and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We picked this place using frequent flyer miles and did not expect anything out of the ordinary. This is a no frills hotel with breakfast included. Our room was just spacious enough, our queen bed was comfortable, the place is clean and very quiet (no noise from the corridor or the street - even if it was full the whole time we were there). The staff is friendly and helpful.

Considering that we were not downtown and without car, we were a bit worried about location, but this was not an issue once we figured our way with the well organized public transit system in Vancouver. At the corner of Broadway and Kingsway/Main, the major advantage of this hotel is being close to main bus lines (for those who don't visit by car). You get wherever you want on the East-West axis using 009/099, the Canada Line is two bus stop west. It is a short 20 minutes ride to Canada Place, Gastown, City Centre via bus 019 or 008. There is also BC Cycle Rentals on Quebec Street/6th, a 10 minute walk from the hotel where you can rent good quality city bicycles and visit the city on two wheels (we highly recommend this safe option).

The only down point is the breakfast room. The continental breakfast choice is fine (eggs, sausage, bacon, pastries, yogurt, bread, bagels, cereals, fruits, juices and coffee) and well tended, however the room is a bit too cramped for its success. There was always some elbowing in the morning. A couple more square feet would help reduce the tension before the first coffee.

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet. There is no ice/vending machine on this floor - so you don't get ex...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such an informative review for our guests, I am very happy that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found the location to be very convenient. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was only here for 3 nights. I booked this hotel through priceline. The price was reasonable and the location was what I was looking for. We had a room on the first floor. Nothing fancy. The room (and bathroom) was clean, had internet and tv, and overall met our basic needs. They served breakfast every morning and had enough options to pick from so you could get through the morning.

The hotel is right off Kingsway, which is a pretty busy road, but the noise wasn't too bad. I really liked how you could just walk over to the restaurants/shops on Main Street in 5-10 minutes. There's an underground garage if you have a rental car, but parking was pretty tight down there.

Overall, average hotel experience with a good location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, in the near future the hotel will be undergoing a lot of changes and we hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I left after 3 hours and went to another hotel even though I prepaid for this dump. Run down, room and stairway smelled like 3 families of cats had been urinating there for years. The room I got on the 2nd floor was right above a very busy street with a traffic light and even with earplugs in and a pillow on my head was so loud I couldn't even imagine sleeping through. Do not stay here unless you are deaf.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank kevincanada
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Good day KevinCanada,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy our hotel, we realize that our property is not the optimal accommodation for everyone. However we take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and often receive compliments on how well kept it is. I would appreciate if you could provide me with an email detailing the issues you had incurred with our hotel so that I may look into these problems personally and have them corrected. As far as I know your only complaint made with the General Manager was due to the traffic noise from Kingsway for your troubles you were provided with a full refund despite the fact that you had booked a non-refundable reservation.

Our main goal is always guest satisfaction, as such we always do our best to be upfront with all of our guests. We do not deny that Kingsway is a major corridor in Vancouver, the hotel experiences advantages and disadvantages of its location on this street. However if a request is made in advance of check in and in most cases at the time of or shortly after check in we will gladly assign a room that is quieter for you. We have 66% of our rooms situated in the quieter regions of the hotel as such this allows us to address such requests at a fairly high success rate.

Thank you very much, we hope that you will continue to use Best Western for your accommodation needs in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

6 nights: This hotel was recommended to me by a Vancouver friend, and it was a great recommendation. I lost most of my eyesight on the flight in and by my first morning was pretty much blind. I spent a week here and the staff was nothing short of spectacular in helping me with my unexpected impairment, getting me to appointments and a couple of day surgeries, finding me another room and moving me when my stay had to be extended before I could fly home, etc., etc. They did everything I needed or wanted, and I felt like I was with professional people who looked out for me. My room(s) were a good size and quiet, and the hot breakfast was very enjoyable and I liked the ambiance- you could sit by yourself or converse with others. Room rates are very good and the location handy for most things too. I'm sure it was clean, but I couldn't really tell ;>) Best hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Blair R
Dave S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review of our hotel, it pleases me so much when a guest feels that the level of service we provided was outstanding. I am very happy to hear that all the staff was more then helpful especially considering your circumstances. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Every time I come to Vancouver, I stay at the Uptown. The staff is fantastic. Great quiet rooms and good breakfast! The location is convenient to public transportation or an easy drive from all directions. I highly recommend the Uptown!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you very much for the very kind words, I will be sure to pass on the compliments to the Front Desk staff. I am always happy to hear such reviews from repeat guests and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Spent 3 nights there.
Excellent clean quiet room, friendly helpful front desk staff, free wi-fi and free breakfast would most definitely stay there again.
Close to Broadway and trolley bus to all attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking your time to provide your review of our hotel, it always pleases me to hear that a guest has had an enjoyable experience here at our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.