“Everything was wonderful except the lay out of our room”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Suites
Ranked #27 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Kimberley, Canada
“Everything was wonderful except the lay out of our room”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Wonderful hotel, GREAT STAFF, clean, spacious, good room service food. I was however very taken back by the layout of our room. I felt a bit like a mouse in a maze, it had a very narrow hallway and several turns within the room. The two armchairs weren't very comfortable to watch TV in the main space. I probably wouldn't stay here again, only because I felt the room was so disjointed and hard to relax in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Justin P, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Suites, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay. It makes me happy to here that you received great service from our staff. We do have other alternatives in room design, most with a more open design. We hope to have you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 August 2013

If I have to sum up my review with two words, it's "impeccable service".

It was my first time in Vancouver and I was able to secure a 3-night stay for my family in a 2 double-bed Signature suite in a very busy weekend for cruise ship travelers. This included free breakfast in the morning and hors d'oeuvre in the afternoon. Despite a busy weekend, I went downstairs at the front desk to extend our stay for two more nights and asked if she can help me with my problem. Not only did she solved my problem, she offered another similar room at the top of the hotel, a corner room with amazing view of the city and ah, part of the harbor. (OK, I must admit the Harbor Center, a building across the street, has a viewing platform and is in the way of the harbor view). Despite the restricted view of the harbor, the corner suite provided me a front-view of downtown Vancouver, with its glass-covered tall buildings and shining lights at night.

The club concierge staff were the best hotel staff I have ever encountered during my travels! Not only did they personalize your stay with helpful tips and stories, they take care of the food presentation, offer you food, offer you drinks, and some more! Breakfast could be brunch with a selection of bread, main dish, ham, cheese, cereal, yogurt, and fruits. Non-alcoholic drinks are always free until 11 PM at the club. The hors d'oeuvre could be your dinner at times. They rotate the food so you get a variety, at least during our 5-night stay. With the stories they tell, you feel like they could be your best friend! I feel very much at home. You look forward to their smiles!

When one of the staff knew that we were there for a Pokemon Worlds tournament, he wrote up a "good luck" card and gave my kids some treats of M&Ms, chocolate eclair, and candies. Now, treats are great; being surprised with a nice treat is way better! Another staff heard that it was one of my son's birthday and gave us a birthday card too. We never felt this kind of service since we stayed at the Ritz a few years back!

The cleaning staff was all smiles as well. They offered us free water bottles and Lindt's chocolate bars. Extra towels are ready for our children. Our rooms were well groomed when we came back at night. Excellent.

The bell staff was attentive and helpful as well. A phone call away, he immediately assisted my wife and youngest son move our suit cases from the original 2-double bed room to the corner suite. He kept our luggage in a safe place after we checked out that Sunday for a few hours before we went back to the States. I did not even have to ask him to assist in loading the luggage to the van. It just flows naturally. Superb!

Normally I wouldn't write a review but the service I received from this hotel is so excellent, I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to acknowledge the service.

PS
OK, I must say though that the hotel is showing its age, especially the carpeting on the hallways and rooms. Perhaps a renovation is planned soon?

The location is very close to the harbor, Pacific Center mall, Gastown, Canada Place, and the Waterfront station (about 5 minute walk), which from there you can take the SkyTrain and pretty much cover all of Vancouver. Bus stops are just around the corner, very accessible.

Room Tip: High-floors have fantastic view of the City. The Signature suites offer the best value for your mone...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RTW_Traveler_2012
Orianna K, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I will pass it along to our team, they love getting guests feedback! So glad you enjoyed your time here in Vancouver and we would love to have you back anytime.
Reviewed 18 August 2013

First time in my life that I checked into a hotel and then checked out 30 minutes later.

Bottom line, this should not be rated as a four star hotel. I booked through Hotwire who guaranteed a four star hotel of good quality, that is not what I found here.

Upon arriving an hour past check in time I was told the room was not ready and that they were busy and I would have to wait. After waiting in the worn and somewhat dirty lobby I was told my room was ready. Service wasn't great, but I expect more professionalism at a four star hotel.

After I got to my room there was a strange odor, rips in the carpet, and a generally worn out overused room greeting me.

The staff offered another room, but by then I'd seen the real hotel and knew it wasn't what I paid for.

I've been burned by Priceline in the past, and now Hotwire. Skip this place, skip Hotwire, and go with a more established hotel name that has a reputation to protect. Or, if you're happy paying four star prices for a two and a half maybe three star hotel, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Madente
Thank you for giving us your feedback, Its through comments such your own that we are able to improve our product.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a week ago for three nights. We were in a signature suite which is very nice having a sitting room separate from bedroom. Being in a corner room we had lots of windows which gave us a wide view of downtown (and condo in one corner). The cleaning staff were very friendly and had nice conversations with them. The television reception was not good but we weren't there to watch much.
The signature lounge was kept spotless and always something to drink and choices of fruit. Breakfast was okay and did not go without eating something. The outside terrace area is quite lovely to sit at.
The check-in staff were very helpful and enjoyed getting a cookie to munch on at check-in.
The two complaints we had was that the restaurant isn't open on Sundays at all and not for dinner any night. Not everyone wants to head out to eat and found out that room service isn't available on Sundays either. When you aren't familiar with the area, having to head out to try and find some place to eat is a bit of a bother (especially when raining!). Also had to pay for parking.
Overall, would we stay here again? Probably.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buddiesCalglary
Bryan M, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Suites, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Thank you for your comments and the 4 star review. We appreciate your feedback! We are currently taking the necessary steps to upgrade our TV reception in the very near future. I'm sorry that you were affected by this during your stay. Hopefully we can welcome you back again and you can enjoy a full HD signal!
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel was a one nighter prior to heading off on the cruise of the inside passage.

The service on check in was fantastic, fast & friendly. Unfortunately the rooms are a little tired & require a bit of updating to bring it in line with the service.

A great central location, easy walk to the cruise terminal, shopping malls & restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aus_Trav_88
SLDeltaDVS, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Suites, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our service and our location, we do have different layouts with our room product and we will be sure to get a room that meets your expectations when you return.

Salesh
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

A delicate mix of contemporary and traditional decor and themes finds this establishment an excellent choice. After a long haul flight from Australia it was a pleasant two night experience from check-in to check-out. Fabulous location comfy beds, tidy, reasonable price and helpful staff made this a most enjoyable entree to our Alaskan cruise. Cannot fault its position whether it be the cruise ship terminal or the train station or the shops and restaurants. We would without hesitation return for another stay. A very pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your nice comments about your stay.

Salesh
Toronto
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here 1 night before and after our Alaskan cruise. The location was great. It was an easy 2 minute walk from the Waterfront skytrain station (make sure you exit at the Granville exit from this station, it is closer to the hotel). It was a 7 min walk to the cruise port or a $5 cab ride. It was also close enough, that we could easily walk around downtown.
The room was clean and spacious as there was a bedroom and a sitting area. However, there was only one chair and a chair for the desk. It would have been much more comfortable to have had a couch.
We got to the hotel early each time we stayed there, but our room was never ready, so they had to store our luggage for us. They did however, give us a fresh chocolate chip cookie on check-in.
Do not eat breakfast at the hotel. It was really slow and a rip-off. The portions were tiny and expensive. There was a great breakfast place two blocks away called Scoozis.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelvoice836
Justin P, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Vancouver Suites, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write the experience you had at our hotel! Thank you for the feedback regarding the preference of furniture in the living room and the experience you had at breakfast, I will pass your feedback on to our leadership team and food and beverage team. I am glad to hear you still had an enjoyable stay at our property though. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to call our hotel at (604)899-3032. We hope to have you back soon!