“Great location and value but...”
Review of Barclay Hotel

Barclay Hotel
Ranked #71 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This could have been a very nice hotel except for one or two glaring details. The hotel is in a very nice location - very close to Stanley Park and the surrounding residential area. Parking is limited to a couple of outside spaces in the back alley. Your room key does not unlock the back door so one has to travel to the front of the building to get back inside. No bell staff or elevators will make you rethink your decision to pack a large suitcase as the rooms are accessible only by one of the two staircases.
Large, wide marble hallways guide you to the room but then the first surprise awaits. A nice bed, small but acceptable flat-screen TV and nice décor are totally ruined by the most filthy, worn-out carpet I have ever encountered. It seems such a shame that everything else in the room seems new when the carpeting completely destroys the effort put into renovating the rest of the space. If I could have lugged a steam cleaner up the stairs, it would have been worth the potential muscle strain I would have endured.
Our room was small but not un-expected for an inner-city location. The views are of the building across the alley. This brings me to the second surprise. In an obvious design flaw, the air-conditioner sits behind the window curtains. One then has to make a choice. Cool the room with the curtains open, allowing others to see inside your room and have the lights from the outside illuminate the space or enjoy your privacy in a room that is too warm.
If there are any other criticisms of the hotel it would be of the low-quality pillows. Otherwise, clean bathrooms and an efficient and helpful staff make for a good budget stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skuds

Reviewed 17 July 2013

After reading several other reviews on this place, I was expecting the worst. The outside of the hotel and the lobby both look quite outdated so I figured the room would probably be the same. When I initially booked I had ask for a renovated room because I had heard that only some were. I'm not sure if that's true but I was assigned room 202 and when we walked through the door I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was fairly small but it was clean & very cute with a newly refurbished bathroom (although it was super tiny). If you're on a budget I would definitely suggest staying here because you can't beat the price. Make sure you ask for a renovated room though because I don't know what the other rooms are like. I've seen pictures and they don't look great. Loved the location and overall it was a great stay. I would absolutely stay again but only if I was guaranteed the same room or another renovated one.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised. After seeing the reviews I had very low expectations but needed a cheap place to rest my head for an extra night in town. The room was too warm when we arrived but we turned on the air on and went out for a drink and it was fine when we returned. They use actual door keys and there isn't a do not disturb door hanger, just a dead bolt that let's those outside the room know if it's engaged or not. With that and no safely the room, I didn't feel comfortable leaving valuables in the room. But it was clean, and comfortable for the price. It's good for a short stay, but I wouldn't do a long stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Mindy F
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I spent a long weekend in Vancouver, but didn't want to pay the high prices you could expect paying in a standard hotel in a similar location. Finding Barclay Hotel made my life easier! The prices are fantastic and you can't wish for a better location. HOWEVER, you need to be aware of that you of course won't get a higher standard than you pay for.

The rooms are furnished with old furniture that is a little worn down, the room is very small (stayed in a single) and the breakfast is not very exciting.. For me, all this was OK - I travelled alone and didn't plan to spend a lot of time in the hotel and definitely didn't want to pay a lot for it. Barclay hotel gives you a clean room in a good location for a better price than you can find anywhere else. I would book it again if I went back alone or with a friend with the same preferences, but I wouldn't book it if I went with my girlfriend on a romantic trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank SwedishTravelPro
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I have a closet bigger then the room we were in, you had to stand in the shower to close the bathroom door. There was a 4 inch cut in the sheet. The air conditioner was hidden behind the drapes, to get air you needed to open the drapes the window was facing the street and street level.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank CFraize
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Ok, first of all let me set the record straight. It is off-season, so prices may be much better than usual, but for this price, you really can't get more value for your money!

I traveled to Vancouver on personal business and this is the fourth time I have stayed at the Barclay.

When I phoned up to make a reservation, a very friendly agent named Bob greeted me and pleasantly completed the booking. He was even kind enough to offer a 10% discount for my repeat business!

Upon check-in, I was told that I had been given a complimentary upgrade to one of the newly renovated queen bedrooms - Room 202 (I had booked a single room, as I was travelling alone).

The Barclay was always good value for money, but has gotten much better over the years, and now with the renovations, I guarantee you that I will return over and over again.

They also offer free wi-fi, with a very strong signal, which was imperative for me, as I could get some work done and also plan some leisure activities on my Android tablet.

To all other reviewers out there who have given the Barclay terrible reviews due to bed bugs, bugs, noise and other issues, I can only say: "shame on you!"

Staff is friendly, service is great, prices are right.

In the world we live in, even the Hyatts, Marriotts Fairmonts and Hiltons are going to have issues like these! People travel lots, and in a diverse town like Vancouver, we are prone to encounter bug infestations of any sort!

This still does not mean the Barclay is not doing their job against such problems. The newly renovated rooms are fantastic and as clean as I have seen in years!

Come-on over and give it a try!

For the record, I have absolutely no affiliation with this hotel's staff, or management, but having worked in the Hospitality Industry for the past 10 years, I know how important opinions are, so here we are: " you've got mine!"

Thank you Barclay crew for another terrific stay!

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank Gazpacho16
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We had bugs in our room. When we brought this up with the front desk, they were rude and said there was nothing they could do. We took the loss of our money and booked into another hotel for the next two nights. It's a very old hotel with little upgrades, so the infestation is not a surprise. Stay clear. There are a lot of nice places to stay in Vancouver.

Room Tip: A room at another hotel!