“Six days of business in Vancouver”
Review of Barclay Hotel

Barclay Hotel
Ranked #67 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Avery good hotel very close to the business center, in walking distance to most locations. Lots of varied eating near Hotel. Not a good location for souvenirs, surprising but cheaper and better selection at airport.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 555Dusty555
There are newer reviews for Barclay Hotel

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Barclay Hotel and were surprised by the size of the room for 3. It was massive!! We had 2 double beds, 2 sofas and the suit consisted of 3 rooms joined together. The bed-/ bathroom were clean and the beds comfortable, we even had 4 pillows to choose from.
We didn't really enjoy the breakfast (paid separately) but there are coffee shops and a wonderful bakery just around the corner. The hotel's location is perfect for everybody who wants to do some touristy things like Stanley Park and such. Bars, restaurants, coffee - all around the corner. I can recommend staying at the Barclay Hotel- if you don't need a fancy hotel! Refrigerator in the room, too. No elevator - but helpful stuff offered to carry our suitcase.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fran_abroad_1912
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We booked this hotel for our one night in Vancouver based on previous reviews and we were not disappointed. The room was pleasant and clean. There were stairs with no elevator, but the staff helped us with our luggage. The location was great -- right on a main street with plenty to do and walking distance to Stanley Park. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank 99Rena
Reviewed 1 November 2013

So clearly there are various kinds of rooms at the Barclay. I was in room 423 which was a double-bedded twin room, with a fold down leather sofa that also made into a third twin bed. This room was not on the fourth floor, but in the west wing, which involved climbing a few stairs crossing a little bridge thing, and going down some more. I did not see an elevator. I did see someone from the front desk helping another traveler with their bags. The room was a really decent size, not huge, but not cramped either, with a writing desk and chair (and aforementioned leather sofa). The bathroom was nicely done with granite counter tops for the vanity and a new marble surround in the shower. There was a small stain on the carpet inside the door. I made my reservation through Booking.com and paid including taxes $75CAD for the night. Clearly it is not the Ritz, but you really cannot beat its location. When I checked in, I was told I was being upgraded so I have no idea what kind of room I would have seen. The room also had an in-window air conditioner as well as a small fridge with a freezer compartment. There were drinking glasses wrapped in paper and toiletries in the bathroom (the usual stuff - soap, shampoo etc.). On the wall was a 32-inch flat screen TV. No sign of bugs. I did not have the continental breakfast for $6.30 but it was a good-sized spread and looked quite good. The only downside to my experience was there was some noise from the hall (minimal) because the floors are marble (ie not carpeted) so when people walked or were pulling suitcases, you could hear them. But that was infrequent. The other downside was there was some neon light visible if I left the drapes open, but once shut, it was not a problem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Bradley M
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Barclay hotel looks good from the outside, but the rooms look pretty old-fashioned, and they're very small. I hardly had any space to put my suitcase in the room. The room smelled very dusty and didn't seem to be very clean either. It was very hot inside and I needed to keep the aircon on all night to be able to sleep. There were holes in the walls (and even wires sticking out of them) and ceiling and coat hangers didn't seem very sturdy... just as the towel rack in the bathroom, which fell apart when I put a towel on it. The towels had holes in them... very very poor quality! The bed was comfortable enough though. The hotel is also well located near downtown Vancouver... which also means it's quite noisy. The staff was friendly and helpful, but overall, I wouldn't recommend staying in this hotel because of the many shortcomings.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank sofke8868b
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We arrived at the Barclay at 8:30pm wondering if they still had a room reserved for us. We were pleasantly surprised when they upgraded us to a king suite---wonderful bed and pillows. The room was huge and nicely remodeled. Nice bathroom--actual tub with shower head. Refrigerator, which we didn't need, but would be handy for visitors on a longer stay. Two futons could be used for extra bedding. Large dresser and large desk; mirrored closet. This room was in the back of the hotel so we heard no street noise. Only downfall is that the hotel has no elevator (older building remodeled but couldn't put in an elevator) and there are several sets of steps; one set as soon as you open the lobby door. Staff was very friendly and helped us carry our luggage to the second floor.

Robson Street is a very happening place---lots of stores and eateries. Try Breka's Bakery and Café just a few blocks up and right on Bute Street. Great location for bus stops. We enjoyed walking to the cruise ship terminal and window shopping all along the way.

Since this is such a reasonable hotel right in the heart of town, we would definitely stay here next time and hope to enjoy a much longer visit to this great city in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dela
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed 2 nights in early September. Friendly staff and great location. I was even able to park out front on the street overnight for free. We had a large street side room that was clean, bright and comfortable. Our room had a window AC to drown out street noise below. There must be variation in the room sizes so if that is important ask first. Great value for those not requiring luxury.

Room Tip: Street side room was very large but requires AC to drown city noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple