Barclay Hotel
Ranked #69 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I needed a room for one night in Vancouver and booked a single room at the Barclay Hotel before reading the TripAdvisor reviews. Obviously the experiences of other reviewers vary, depending on what room you got, so I can't say my experience was typical but I felt lucky. Pre-booked for a single room @$50/night; I was upgraded on check-in for a suite. I loved the charm and old-fashioned feel of the Barclay, and the updated, very plush room I stayed in. Great bed, great reno with very modern bathroom and soothing neutral room colours. So I wasn't aware that other rooms might be much smaller or less modern; I was happy. Until 1 am, when, sound asleep, I got two insistent knocks on the door. Too short to use the peephole, I opened the door and I don't know who was more surprised, me or what appeared to be a transvestite hooker! "Oh they gave me the wrong room number - how embarrassing!" she said as she walked very noisily down the marble tiled hallway in her stiletto heels. Management reaction? "It happens from time to time." Maybe that's how they keep the prices so low? Anyway, in retrospect, a memorable laugh out loud story to share. Will repeat what others say - no elevator, many steps. Management very helpful and offered to take all my luggage to my room, but I asked them to store most of it. Apparently, stored luggage is more secure than the hallways! I'd stay here again - close to public transit, great variety of ethnic restaurants, convenience shops. If you want the chain box stores like GAP, just head right instead of left out the entrance. I really loved the proximity to Stanley Park and English Bay Beach where I walked for hours in quiet solitude, seeing turtles, geese, ducks, and two great blue herons. Great deal for such a location, and surely beats an airport hotel if you don't have a really early am flight to catch!

Room Tip: I was in the West 400 wing which seems to be one of the renovated areas. But be aware of marble floo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank nishamah

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

booked this hotel for 4 nights in leui of a backpackers as it worked out cheaper and far more convenient with a private bathroom. For $60/night we were not disappointed! The room was small but we weren't as cramped as we thought we'd be, and in the great city of Vancouver we spent far more time out of the room than in it. The location is great, Robson st has so many eating and shopping options and is walkable to Stanley Park and downtown. Everything was clean and rooms are serviced daily. Would definitely recommend for those on a budget.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Tatestheword
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here in Oct 2005. Wasnt that cheap, but lower than some others in Van City. The service was ok, nothing special.
Room was small, air con didnt work correctly and there was bonking couples above and birds out side in the under well kept court yard, which was the poor view from my window.
Wouldnt stay again, this place needs a face lift!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Rob F
Reviewed 15 March 2014

we stayed at this hotel in November of 2013 and after a night of drinking me and my friends proceeded to check out of the hotel, the lady said she was going to check our rooms. She checked our room and told us that we had put three holes in the wall which we did not. we went upstairs to investige and there was literally to pin holes covered by plaster and one tiny Pin hole with left unplastered and she said that we created the hole and tried to keep our damage deposit I will never stay here again and they didn't even give us a continental breakfast that was included with the price we paid and service that s*** was really noisy and crummy ill never go there again.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Amanda-Marie L
Reviewed 14 March 2014

If you are going to be in Vancouver for tourist or business purposes, and as such won't need to be spending lots of time in your hotel, then this is a great place to stay. Not because it is dire in any way, but because it doesn't come with those things like a grandiose foyer, swimming pool etc that some people want out of a hotel.

This is a solid budget option - the prices are good and the service is great. I'd probably say this was like a 3-star hotel, but the service is 4-star. Room service is the most efficient I have seen - maybe they put the CCTV in the passageways to use - because on some days I'd put the 'Please Clean My Room' sign on as I went out for breakfast and would be back in like 45 minutes, and it was done. Some other, more pricey, hotels often don't get around to servicing a room until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. This place did it fast and did it well.

Please note there are no stairs in this three-level establishment. Though they do offer at front desk to help with luggage in/out, but for everyday mobility that might be a consideration for some people. Inside the room, it's basic but functional. Bed, mounted telly, an empty bar fridge which actually has room for you to put things in (good for me, bad for anyone who expects a mini bar), a bathroom and a small clothing rack which (weirdly) hovers above the bar fridge but oh well, when space is tight, needs must!

The heating is very impressive; cooling tends to be via the open louvred window option, which was fine for me in Feb, not sure how that would fare in the summer months. I had a room at the end of the hall which was good. Be mindful that the walls are thin, so any exuberant moments of passion from next door are easily audible. Sleep is easy to come by if your room faces inwards, as mine did, so maybe ask for that as Robson Street-facing rooms may be more exposed to noise.

Dining options exist but aren't really needed - they offer a breakfast for $6.50 which is continental, and they have a bar for drinking and then dining but in the week that I was either staying there on in the area, I never saw a soul. They really could convert that to something else.

Checkout was fast and efficient and their luggage storage option is brilliant - yes it was just i the back room, but I was heading for a short trip to Whistler and so needed to leave a bag there for a weekend. They accommodated. I can't rate that highly enough as a great example of the service you can get at this place.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room if you have mobility issues as there are no elevators. Request an inwa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Cheemar
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is a good budget hotel in a convenient location. Housed in a traditional building in downtown Vancouver close to shops and restaurants and near to Stanley Park. We were upgraded to a suite after a flight delay and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. The suite was clean and comfortable but probably best to say that it is a hotel for the those looking for a good deal. Would also recommend Stepho's, the Greek restaurant across the street.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RKfamily
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is an honest hotel.

It's a budget hotel at a budget price with budget level facilities. And that's a good thing for downtown Vancouver.

I'm here in January 2014 in a basic first floor room at $50/day plus taxes. The room is a small, basic, clean, comfortable place. It has a tiny TV that gets enough channels to make me happy. The WIFI has a strong signal and is fast enough. And it's only a 5 minute walk to the +$250/night Bayshore where my conference is being held.

If you read the reviews back at least a year, you'll find the good reviews are after a major recent renovation. It is still an old building and a facelift only goes so far. The Barclay shows it's age under the new paint and tile. But always judge a place by what you pay and location it gives you. The Barclay works for me on both those points.

It's on Robson Street basically in the middle of the West End. If overspending on designer clothes and other brand name crap is your thing...fill your boots. The overpriced junk is spread like fungus along Robson Street just a block from the hotel.

Starbucks is on the corner, a grocery store is 2 blocks away, fast food joints and most other services are within a 5 minute walk. Location, location, location.

The Barclay has wonderful tiles in the hallways since it's recent renovations. The downside to that is the noise and echoing that is normally trapped in carpeted halls bounces down the halls. I'm used to Latin American hotels with lots of tile. I don't mind it but the noise of early risers and late night arrivals might bother some light sleepers.

Parking is a bit sketchy with a few spots available in the alley for $10/day or in a nearby parkade for $15. But remember...parking ANYWHERE in Vancouver is an invitation to lose anything you leave in your car. Empty your car completely, including documents and leave the console and glovebox open so the a--h-l- punks and crackheads can see there is nothing in there to take. I even leave a sheet of paper saying “There is nothing in here!” Car break-ins are epidemic in Vancouver. Don't blame the hotel. Blame the city, blame society, blame a weak justice system or blame yourself for leaving anything in your car.

I'm on a tight budget this trip so the Barclay has turned out to be great. When things in my industry take a turn for the better, I'll likely stay elsewhere in a bigger room with art on the walls, maybe a fridge to keep my beer cold, a clothes iron and a bigger bill at the end.

But for now, the Barclay is an honest deal.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor with tiled hallways near the front desk. If you are a light sleeper, ask i...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business