“Wow - What an oversized room!”
Review of Barclay Hotel

Barclay Hotel
Ranked #67 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Braclay is an understated, old but oversized and well maintained hotel on a nondescript part of Robson St. with a couple of other hotels close by. We were greeted by a helpful, friendly front desk reception who insisted I look at the room first (that hasnt happened in quite a while) then walked me out to the back parking to ensure we found it.

I looked at the continental breakfast which offered bagels, cereal, toast, scones, juice, coffee etc. (reasonable choice) But we needed a dose of fried eggs.

The room had two couches, almost big enough to do hand stands! Much room around both sides of the bed. The bathroom was away from the bed area and off to the side (probably renovated in the last 12 months) was fresh and clean. It was a complete separate room so that any early morning trips would not interfere with your significant other waking up. Good value for $130 and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne M

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, was a fantastic price, very clean, comfortable and plenty of room for 3 people. The location was perfect. With a good selection of restaurants and shops on the doorstep. Big supermarket just a 5 minute walk - very convenient.
Definitely would stay again.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank katiez6
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here due to the price and parking availability. I thought it was very well situated for my needs with a perfect parking spot out back. The rooms have been redone and are very comfortable. There is a wee bit of street noise at the front of the hotel but nothing that kept me up or woke me in the morning. The bathroom is small but normal for european styles and very adequate. Everything was clean and well mannered. No elevator but again this is normal for more european guests. The staff were very welcoming and really friendly. I booked online but the hotel would have offered me the same price. Also, the parking was very affordable considering. There is a lovely restaurant just up the street, Forage, which I highly recommend.

Overall the stay was great. Very close to Stanley Park so great for walkers! There were some reviews that complained about all the Asian restaurants etc but I didn't mind. If you do like SE Asian food then you have plenty to choose from.

Room Tip: If you really don't like street noise then ask for a room to the side or the rear of the hotel...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Shilohw25
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The room was very small, but clean and comfortable. Great location.The hotel lies a half-way between the city centre and the Stanley Park. Lots of possibilities to eat nerby. Friendly staff and a good Wi-Fi connection.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ania R
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here two nights so we could spend just a few days exploring the city. It's a historical building that's been restored relatively recently, so it's sparse, but bright and clean. There isn't much in the way of services and no elevator so we took our own bags up several flights of stairs. But we're young and able-bodied and it was a great deal for our purposes.

We had a decent room to stay in and the location is excellent. We were able to walk all over from the hotel without taking a car. Since we went in the winter months when the rates are much lower, it was an absolute steal! This is a great place for students or anyone else on a budget.

Parking is in a garage accessible through the building next door.

Room Tip: No elevator. So, if mobility is an issue for you, pick a lower floor. The rooms are also half-price...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EmItoku
Reviewed 6 June 2014

You can't beat the location. Budget friendly, no amenities, helpful staff, no luxury.
If your plan is to explore the city and just have a place to sleep, this is the place.
We had a good experience overall!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myideaofheaven
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed only 1 night

Cons
-side side traffic
-no elevator
-curtains could be a little more effective for the early sleepers...

Pros
-very kind staff, one of which helped me to carry my very heavy bags up the flight of stairs at the entrance of the hotel.
-nice clean rooms
-very comfy beds

Overall, I had a good stay at Barclay. The staff were very accommodating to my requests, and I had a great sleep. That's all you pretty much need for a nice last minute 1 night stay...

• Stayed: June 2014