“Excellent budget hotel ...with obliging staff”
Review of Barclay Hotel

Barclay Hotel
Ranked #66 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Australia
“Excellent budget hotel ...with obliging staff”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I checked into this hotel after one terrible night's stay at a ghastly hotel, directly across the street.

Thankfully "The Barclay" proved a great and most convenient "find!" Clean and pleasant foyer; perhaps more functional than beautiful ( although I noticed a chandelier was being installed during my stay).

My room was in excellent condition and very clean. Bathroom was also excellent and virtually brand new with a great bath which I much appreciated! Free wifi too.

The lack of an elevator was not an issue whatsoever, despite the fact I had a very heavy and large suitcase (after 8 weeks of travel and cruising) as the gentleman at reception was quick to take charge of this. (The same prompt and very friendly service on departure too. )

Breakfast was available at the hotel should I have wanted this.

I can highly recommend this hotel and and felt that the staff made a genuine effort to make the guests' visits enjoyable and solve any problems or travel difficulties.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank frequentsinglediner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014

When travelling overseas we expect things to be not quite the same as home. We look for location, cleanliness, comfortable beds, reasonably quiet, helpful/polite staff and cost.
All of this we received at the Barclay! There was no lift, however staff carried our bags up/down.
From the airport we took the train (have to cross over to elevator outside exit from airport) to Vancouver City Center Station, walked 15 min. to Hotel (can take No.005 bus).
Bus stop to down town areas was in the next block to hotel, eating places all around, quality shopping along Robson St.
We prefer to walk to get the "feel" of the place by walking - Canada Place 15 min. and downtown 10 min.
We stayed at the Barclay on several occasions in June 2014 and endorse all of the positive comments from the other reviewers.
Definitely recommend the Barclay.

Room Tip: ask for " cooler" side if staying high summer months.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin c
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Braclay is an understated, old but oversized and well maintained hotel on a nondescript part of Robson St. with a couple of other hotels close by. We were greeted by a helpful, friendly front desk reception who insisted I look at the room first (that hasnt happened in quite a while) then walked me out to the back parking to ensure we found it.

I looked at the continental breakfast which offered bagels, cereal, toast, scones, juice, coffee etc. (reasonable choice) But we needed a dose of fried eggs.

The room had two couches, almost big enough to do hand stands! Much room around both sides of the bed. The bathroom was away from the bed area and off to the side (probably renovated in the last 12 months) was fresh and clean. It was a complete separate room so that any early morning trips would not interfere with your significant other waking up. Good value for $130 and we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne M
Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, was a fantastic price, very clean, comfortable and plenty of room for 3 people. The location was perfect. With a good selection of restaurants and shops on the doorstep. Big supermarket just a 5 minute walk - very convenient.
Definitely would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank katiez6
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here due to the price and parking availability. I thought it was very well situated for my needs with a perfect parking spot out back. The rooms have been redone and are very comfortable. There is a wee bit of street noise at the front of the hotel but nothing that kept me up or woke me in the morning. The bathroom is small but normal for european styles and very adequate. Everything was clean and well mannered. No elevator but again this is normal for more european guests. The staff were very welcoming and really friendly. I booked online but the hotel would have offered me the same price. Also, the parking was very affordable considering. There is a lovely restaurant just up the street, Forage, which I highly recommend.

Overall the stay was great. Very close to Stanley Park so great for walkers! There were some reviews that complained about all the Asian restaurants etc but I didn't mind. If you do like SE Asian food then you have plenty to choose from.

Room Tip: If you really don't like street noise then ask for a room to the side or the rear of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Shilohw25
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The room was very small, but clean and comfortable. Great location.The hotel lies a half-way between the city centre and the Stanley Park. Lots of possibilities to eat nerby. Friendly staff and a good Wi-Fi connection.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ania R
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here two nights so we could spend just a few days exploring the city. It's a historical building that's been restored relatively recently, so it's sparse, but bright and clean. There isn't much in the way of services and no elevator so we took our own bags up several flights of stairs. But we're young and able-bodied and it was a great deal for our purposes.

We had a decent room to stay in and the location is excellent. We were able to walk all over from the hotel without taking a car. Since we went in the winter months when the rates are much lower, it was an absolute steal! This is a great place for students or anyone else on a budget.

Parking is in a garage accessible through the building next door.

Room Tip: No elevator. So, if mobility is an issue for you, pick a lower floor. The rooms are also half-price...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple