“Dissapointing stay”

Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We picked this hotel for our honeymoon mainly on price, but also due to the fact it has a comedy club and a spa. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations.

The lobby is fairly recently refurbished but as soon as you get into the lifts you realise that the renovations stopped on the ground floor. We had an executive king suite on the 25th floor, which was outdated and a bit grubby. There were small rips and chips in the furniture, the coffee machine leaked, the paint was scuffed and and marked, the tiles were chipped and cracked, the tap in the bathroom was loose from the wall and the room wasn't very clean. The single glazed windows let in all the city noise and the outdated 'tube' style tv wasn't set to view widescreen images (very annoying). These are all things that wouldn't bother me in my own home, but considering the price that I payed for the room I expected it to be nicer. The decor could do with being updated, and all the furnishings replaced.

However the room was huge, view from our balcony was great, the bed was comfortable and the location was good. This could be a fantastic hotel if you redecorated the rooms.

I visited the spa whilst staying here. It was good if a little overpriced. The mix comedy club was also good. The pool was nice, however it also could do with a little tlc. Seeing that these were the things I booked the hotel for I didn't actually use them very much. I probably wouldn't prioritise these the next time I'm booking a hotel.

Overall we tried not to spend a lot of time in our room during our stay. I feel for the condition of the room we could have got a cheaper hotel, or a nicer hotel for the same price. This hotel would be good for a bunch of friends staying together, or maybe a family. Unfortunately it was not a nice hotel for a romantic getaway. I would not book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise. Also the hospital next door is pretty loud. I asked for a room away f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank milispike
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear Milispike,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel! We're glad you were able to enjoy the nice views and our award winning amenities!

We're sorry that you were disappointed by the street noise. Being a downtown hotel with such a great location does mean that there will be city noise from time to time that can be bothersome to some of our guests. We are happy to move any of our guests to quieter rooms on the West side of the hotel when requested, however. We understand that our guests have different tastes and preferences for decor. The particular room you were in was completely renovated in 2010 however you are right in that it does not have a flat screen TV. Currently only our 1 bedroom suites have flat screen TV's, however we are working on putting them into all of our rooms in the near future and our Executive King Suites are next on the list!

We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a great stay the next time you are in Vancouver. Please contact us directly if we can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Marshall
manager@century-plaza.com

There are newer reviews for Century Plaza Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 17 May 2012

we stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. Rooms are modern and comfortable and location is pretty good too, fairly central to everywhere. would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Apart from the brilliant location, 10-15 mins from the main down town shops as well the beach, and the fact that supermarkets, 7-11s and coffee shops as well as plenty of independent shops are on the door step, apart from all of that and the reasonable costs, there is so much more to this wonderful hotel.
The best asset is the people every single one from checking in staff, housekeeping, concierge, reservations and restaurant & coffee shop staff were pleasant, many uber friendly.
The facilities are ace including the pool and the room is just gorgeous. I've not stayed here and not had a view and this time I was at the top, literally felt like the top of the world. On top of this, I know all the rooms are different but we had a gorgeous 2 person jacuzzi bath and double shower with steam plus a refurbished kitchen.
One my favourite aspects of this hotel is it's green policy - never seen anyone else go to the lengths they do. And all the suites are big, some huge!
Of course Vancouver is, in my mind the best city in the world so all in all, a spectacular 9 days that can not be bettered. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: All the rooms above the fourth floor have a view I believe and the view is good which ever direction...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed at the Century Plaza in Vancouver on May 4 for 2 nights. The hotel is excellent. Clean, rooom is very spacious and centrally located. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I will stay at this hotel again when I return to Vancouver.

Room Tip: In the higher floors you have a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sonia614
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The Century Plaza is a very nice property in downtown Vancouver. Close to good shopping, and a 15 minute walk from the waterfront. The staff is helpful and very pleasant.

We upgraded to a corner room on the 21st floor and had great views of the city with the mountains in the background. I would recommend getting a room on a higher floor just for the great scenery.

We ate in the restaurant and the lounge and enjoyed them both. Our only disappointment was when we ordered room service breakfast by putting a card on the door of our room one night. The next morning the card was still there, which we did not discover until after the time we had requested the breakfast. A call to the restaurant was handled promptly, but still caused a late start to the day's activities. They apologized but didn't seem overly troubled by the oversight.

Overall, though, a very pleasant stay. We hope to return to Vancouver in the near future and would definitely stay at the Century Plaza again.

Room Tip: A corner room on a higher floor is a good idea. Room 2108 is a very large corner room, with a differ...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

This hotel is kind of random. It has super modern lobby, an overpriced (IMO) spa, and the rooms are huge. I was in a room that had not been refurbished, I believe, although it did have a giant flat screen. I also liked that the room had a kitchenette and a whole sitting area. I got a great deal on hotwire, so I was extra happy. And the staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect. We could walk to dinner in Yaletown. I would definitely stay here again. Great products in the bathroom!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank haparev
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in April 2012 due to day surgery at St.Paul's hospital. As soon as we entered, the smell of the spa instantly relaxed me. The room was spacious and the products in the bathroom (shampoo etc) are of high quality. The staff are amazing here and went above and beyond to help make the stay memorable. Our dog was able to stay with us, and there was a dog friendly park right close by. The food at the hotel was awesome, and the waiters were full of jokes and smiles. The only drawback to this hotel is the ambulances- our first night there were barely any, but the second night I noticed it a little more. Nevertheless, the beds are super comfy and the sheets so soft- I slept better here than I sometimes do at home! There is no gym, but the pool is one of the nicest I have been in and the steam room is to die for!!!! Great great great stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple