“Very Dirty-Don't Let The Lobby Fool You”

Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #45 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
vancouver
“Very Dirty-Don't Let The Lobby Fool You”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

We booked a king, smoking room, when we got into the room, the smell was like nothing I have ever smelled in my life, I looked for a dead body in the closet. The King room looked like a crack den and smelled no better, very very dirty from top to bottom...We called the front desk and they changed our room to a non smoking suite, which was still dirty, but miles better than the first room.

They gave us a coupon to use in the restaurant (as part of the deal when we booked)...the restaurant was booked to capacity with 2 different christmas parties so we were not able to use our coupon.

The one good thing I have to say about this hotel is the staff...they were second to none, very very accommodating with our room change and my constant phone calls for towels, glasses, ice etc.

Lastly, the pool area....FILTHY, FILTHY FILTHY...change rooms, no towels, terrible showers and again...FILTHY.

• Liked — the front desk staff
  • Disliked — the cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgal067
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
To guests that my be reading this review for the first time, all of our guests rooms and suites have been re-painted and have had their mattresses and carpets replaced, as well as most furniture. All of our One bedroom and executive suites have been completely re furbished and our 70 One Bedroom Suites now boast 42" flat screen televisions. Our pool area has also been completely re-modeled. We are very proud to now be a 100% completely non smoking hotel as well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dublin Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

On my third visit to this hotel I was greeted by a surly receptionist with no acknowledgement of my being a return client. Our rooms were, as others have mentioned, very shabby and old fashioned. What is this hotel playing at? The front looks terrible with paper covering windows of what may at some time be a new coffee shop...when??? The reception and restaurant are smart so why aren't the rooms improved? I was horrifed to see that you can easily open the window on the 17th floor - children beware!

It is good value for money and the breakfast is good. I would prefer a much better quality of bedroom - rumours of upgraded rooms have been circulating for the last two years - who gets these if there are any? Looking at the outside of the hotel you can see that a lot of the rooms are not in use as there are mattresses leaning against the windows.

Not an experience I will repeat as there are plenty of hotels to choose from in Vancouver.

Stayed December 2008
To guests that may be reading this review for the first time. Service at our hotel is paramount and we recognize that to maintain a successful operation, first and foremost, our guests come first.

We've since hired an entirely new front office team as well as having our new management perform regular performance reviews of our employees. We've found this approach to be successful and it has dramatically increased our levels of guest satisfaction.

Since the time of this review, all of our guests rooms and suites have been re-painted and have had their mattresses and carpets replaced, as well as most furniture. All of our One bedroom and executive suites have been completely re furbished and our 70 One Bedroom Suites now boast 42" flat screen televisions.

Our pool, restaurant and cafe have all since been re-modeled as well and we are now a 100% completely smoke free property.
Powell River, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

I needed to travel from a small town to Vancouver to have my 6 month checkup for my new valve at the hospital nearby. I was excited to see the hotel after having read reviews both good and bad on the net and stared at all the pictures. I was not surprised neither with the convenience of in-and-out parking right there nor the shining beauty of the comfortable lobby-then they told me I was being upgraded for nothing to the honeymoon suite on the 21st floor. Well, what can I say? i had to be dragged off the balcony where I watched twinkling xmas lights, city lights, ships on the water-my own little Shangrila! In the morning I was back there staring into the daylight world and ordered in a very reasonably priced breakfast. The coffee in the room was good. I can't wait for my next checkup- I stepped out a side door of the hotel and into the side door of the hosital right across the street,

PS photos to follow.

Stayed December 2008
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2008

This place is horrible, don't get fooled by the reception, the restaurant and the website. Everything in the first floor is nice and new but once you get to your room everything is very old and smelly, the comforter on the beds like they never been washed.. the fridge stinks, the sofas are so dirty and smell bad absolutely bad. don't go there.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Maritza79

All of our common areas including our cafe, pool and restaurant have all been remodeled, and we are now proud to be a 100% non smoking property.
Northampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

I have to commend the staff for being very polite at the check in. However, when I had to speak to a manager regarding an issue, he used strong words and had his security involved which escalated the situation. For the $200 I spent to book the night, I was only allowed to stay for 3 hours and a refund wasn't offered. Having travelled many countries around the world, I've never encountered this kind of treatment especially in the hospitality industry. I can't justify the success of this establishment under the management of Denis --.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank narfgirl

Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here as well as two other couples. We had a standard room, one other couple had a junior suite and the other had the executive king. we were all generally happy with our stay with a few issues.
The carpets could definitely use a cleaning, you have to go all the way to the lobby with your ice bucket and get ice from the restaurant there. They charge you for each local call out of the hotel. It looks like there's complimentary water for you on the counter and in the fridge but if you read the tag on the bottles it says you will be charged $3.50 each if you drink them, so don't just get all excited and start opening one up like my friend did. Every suite has a kitchen but no dishes. you get glasses and cutlery though.
Overall it was a typical stay for the off season prices but I can't see it being worth full price. Great location and the views are outstanding.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty carpets
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Paradise Valley AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

I think all rooms are suites - we had a comlete apartment with livingroom, full kitchen & eating area, seperate bdrm. Little dated, but i think they are doing renoations. Close to everything: grocery store, starbuck's, shopping, central downtown location, stanely park, bridges to north van & residential vancouver & easy acess to hwy to exit city.

Stayed October 2008