“Pool ceiling is gorgeous!!”

Century Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I was hesitant to book because I read that the pool was closed.. I am a waterbaby and love to swim! But wow what a gorgeous ceiling they've put in place. It's all in silver, a sort of basket-weave effect. Very neat to look at when you're in there. I've attached a camera-phone pic.. it's a bit grainy but gives you the idea!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,913)

Reviewed 26 April 2009

The first room I got was very depressing and I couldn't imagine staying in it. I paid extra and got a refurbished suite on the 27th floor that was pretty good.(I think anything above the 25th floor is redone). Everything was new and it had a decent view with a balcony. If you have a fear of elevators you may not like the small rickety elevators, I know I didn't. The hotel is very mediocre considering you can stay across the street at the Sheraton for around the same price with ten times the ambiance and amenities. If you need a suite I guess it's OK and the location is good. It was clean but I have no desire to stay there again. I was booked for 7 nights but left after 2 because the pool was under construction.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ssbCalgary
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Great big room (however, furnitures not so modern) ! Nice restaurant/bar!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stayed at the Century Plaza this week because I had medical appt's at St. Pauls next door. First of all, they pre-authorized my credit card for $700 for a two night stay...although the room rate was supposed to be $89.
I am not a picky person but I refused the first room. The lobby is beautiful (what you see on the website) but the rooms are like a 1975 bacholer pad. We booked a one bedroom suite. The furniture was so dirty I refused to sit on the couch. I phone down stairs and they moved me to a 'renovated room' which as far as I could tell it meant it had a new couch and new bedding. Same old scuffed up furniture and curtians. Although it kitchenette with a full fridge and stove it didn't have any pots and pans to cook with.

I asked if I needed to put a parking pass in my window, they said no it is all electronic - yet I got a $75 parking ticket. (They agreed to take care of it.) I asked if I could have a leter check out because I was having tests done until 1:30 - they said there would be a $45 charge. I asked if I would be ok leaving my vehicle in the parkade past 12...they said yes, but the parking attendant said no.

Checkout...so when I down graded from a one bedroom suite to a renovated room they told me instead of $129 a night it would be $89. When I checked out I was charged $99 for one night and $109 for the other. They said that was because my room class was more for one night....I stayed in the same room with the same reservation both nights..The front dest staff said there was nothing they could do. I said I would pay $99 even though I was quoted $89 but I didn't want to pay $109....so I asked to talk to a manager. They said there is no manager on until 3 pm. Check out is at noon. I said how do you handle customer complaints...they said come back at 3....needless to say I was long gone by 3.

There is no fitness facility. The swimming pool was closed until further notice... When I tried to access the wireless internet 'century plaza' I was informed it was $9 per day. Grrr...who charges for wireless anymore?

Dirty, dated, horrible customer service. The restaurant was good with a very nice decor but overpriced.

I don't like to be negative but I wish I would have come here first. It took a stressful situation and made it much worse.

One plus is that yuk yuk's comedy club is in the basement...very good entertainment for about $10.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travelbugsCanada
Reviewed 23 January 2009

January 16th - I was attending a special conference in Vancouver and decided at the last moment to overnight in the city due to poor road and weather conditions. I found the Century Plaza website (this hotel was close to my event) and booked an available suite at the Seasonal Special Rate of $109.00 per night. I recorded my confirmation and customer numbers and looked forward to a nice relaxing stay.
January 17th - I called the hotel from the conference to inquire about parking and to confirm my reservation. I identified myself to the person that answered the phone, told him I would be checking in around 5pm and offered my confirmation info. He hurriedly told me he didn't require my confirmation numbers and that everything was taken of.
At 5:15pm (dinner break from the conference) I arrived to check-in.
There was no record of my reservation. I was told that the fax (?) was probably locked in the office which closed on Friday at 5pm so the desk didn't get it. There was a room available at a rate of $119.00 a night and I was given a $10 breakfast coupon. Tired and rushed I took the room and signed in.
Room 1605 reeked of smoke and other unsavoury things. The funishings were dated , broken and dirty. The linen was clean.
There was no Parking Valet on duty, so I had to park my car myself in the dark, seedy lot behind the hotel.
On check out the next day the bill seemed a bit high. When I asked about it I found out that I had been charged $129.00 for the room and because I had signed the check in and didn't notice the discrepancy nothing could be done.
The desk staff were at best indifferent and certainly not accomodating.
The breakfast was good, but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Sugar55Squamish
Century-Plaza-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Century Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

To guests that may be reading this review for the first time. Service at our hotel is paramount and we recognize that to maintain a successful operation, first and foremost, our guests come first.

We've taken extra steps to eliminate these kind of service issues. These steps include re-hiring an entirely new front office and reservations team as well as having our new management team perform regular performance reviews of our employees. We've found this approach to be successful and it has dramatically increased our levels of guest satisfaction.

Our reservations service is now 24 hours. So anybody making a last minute or late night booking will have no issues.

Unfortunately we do not offer valet service at the hotel, however our lot is serviced by a parking attendant and security personnel.

Reviewed 23 January 2009

I have stayed at the Century Plaza a few times over the years and it is definitely showing it's age. I agree with the other reviewers that once you get past the shiny reception area the aging of this hotel does show. I unfortunately stayed on the smoking floor, a very generous yield to my sisters vice. The smell of the floor hits you when the elevator doors open, thank goodness the stove in the kitchenette had a good overhead fan. The room was shabby and I never did figure out how to heat the chilly room, you could hear the wind whistling in around the windows and we were only on the 7th floor. There is wireless in room internet but it costs you. The joy of being situated around St Paul's never changes, the ambulance sirens lull you to sleep and you truly experience the despairing sight of homelessness and drug abuse. The restaurant was nice and the menu was a reasonable price and quality but we only ate breakfast there. The doorman is a nice but I am sure necessary touch as the elevators are not room card locked. This is probably the last time I will stay there, as someone has already said there are lots of hotels to choose from.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CathiM

Since the time of this review, all of our guests rooms and suites have been re-painted and have had their mattresses and carpets replaced, as well as most furniture. All of our One bedroom and executive suites have been completely re furbished and our 70 One Bedroom Suites now boast 42" flat screen televisions.

We are also proud to be a 100% completely non smoking hotel.

Reviewed 19 January 2009

My husband ended up in ICU at St Paul's just after Christmas and I needed a place to stay that was close, clean and reasonably priced. The staff at Century Plaza were excellent in getting me into a room that night and accommodating my subsequent 3 week stay. They gave me a preferred rate and waived the additional amount they would have made on a New Years rate. The staff were gracious, helpful and courteous. They made an extremely difficult time in my life and my childrens life easier. I cannot say enough good things about the people in this hotel from the housekeepers to the doormen to the front desk staff, all were fantastic. I will remember this hotel and refer it to all of my friends who come to town. Thank you Century Plaza!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family