“Do not stay in hot weather.”
Review of Buchan Hotel

Buchan Hotel
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Good location, but there is no a/c or sufficient accommodations for heat (also no concern or even proper costumer service from the staff over our discomfort). Probably a decent deal during the cooler months but nearly unbearable otherwise. It would have been more comfortable trying to sleep in my car then to toss and turn in my own sweat. For the same or even lower price a hostel would have been a better choice.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank ABCtravelerXYZ
Buchanhotel, Manager at Buchan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I do agree with you, The Buchan can get very hot in the summer time. First off the bat, I do want to apologize for the seemingly poor customer service. That is not what I want or expect any of our customers to experience. I will have a discussion will all of our front desk staff about customer service.

With regards to the heat in the building, as someone who works at The Buchan Hotel, I know very well how warm it can get. One of the disadvantages of a 100 year old building is that putting in air conditioning is very expensive. During a record breaking heat wave like Vancouver is experiencing this July we're struggling to keep up. We do provide oscillating fans, and most of our rooms do have ceiling fans.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has what a traveler needs. It is close to Stanley Park, shopping, bike rentals, food, and great views. Room was clean, the bed was comfortable and water is drinkable from the tap. Only downside is that there is no elevator but you only need to carry your luggage up once so that shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

love the location and environment, cleanliness, free coffee and tea in hotel lobby, a lot of restaurants and 7-11 nearby, friendly staff. Good value hotel.
Stanley park and English bay is just 5-10 minute walk and close to free shuttle bus stop to Capilano bridge.

Room Tip: no elevator in the hotel. So, request for ground floor room if you have big luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nuttha K
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Buchan is marketed as a "Budget Hotel". In general you get what you pay for but in this case I feel you get more than you pay for. Location, Location Location! Minutes from Stanley park in a peaceful tree lined area this close to downtown - perfect location. We arrived early but they got us into our room anyway. When we booked months ago, we had originally wanted a "Family Room" but took a Double room instead as the Family room was not available. We knew it would be tight for a family of four and it was - but just fine for what we needed - a place to sleep. It was clean and functional (but don't expect a fridge, microwave etc - remember it is a budget hotel). Cons? Two - the room was very warm even with the fans going. Next time I think we would ask for a room on the North side as it might be cooler. Also there is a lack of usable outlets which was a pain given the need to recharge phones, tablet, camera batteries etc. Two double outlets easily available but with three things already plugged in. Third double outlet was behind the dresser so needed to move the dresser away from the wall. This could be easily fixed by a couple of extension cords/plugs.
So, go four or five blocks downtown if you want a room with AC, microwaves etc but be prepared to pay 3 or 4 times as much. The Buchan is a great budget hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side may be cooler.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Buchan Hotel is in a great location on a quiet residential street; just one block to Stanley Park and a couple of blocks to Denman Street and Robson Street. We (mature couple) had a corner room with ensuite bathroom; the room was spacious, clean, quiet, and simply furnished with an armchair, desk, wardrobe and television. We appreciated the free wi-fi, free coffee and free newspapers in the large lounge. The hotel is not luxurious; the bed was a little hard and the bathroom window woodwork needed painting, but the hotel is a great bargain in a great location, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 520Mel
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Took an Alaskan cruise that started in Vancouver three years ago. I happened onto the Buchan. I enjoyed my stay 3 years ago so much, that when I was doing the same cruise in June 2014, I immediately booked the Buchan again. The front desk is very helpful and friendly and the location right next to Stanley Park is great. Denman Street is an easy walk to find meals. The only thing wrong with this hotel is that there is no elevator. Travelling with MS and my 69 yr old mom with arthritis and a bunch of luggage. it makes a difference; but they do make it clear that there is no elevator.

Room Tip: Since no elevator, first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Teppers
Buchanhotel, Manager at Buchan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words, and we hope to see you back in Vancouver soon!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Vancouver is a beautiful but expensive city. That said, the Buchan is a great bargain. To begin with, its location is superb. You are only a couple blocks from Stanley Park (which is where you will want to spend as much time as possible). Denman Street is only a could blocks away as well. There you will find plenty of restaurants, coffee houses, food stores, etc. The accommodations aren't first class - but I didn't expect them to be. But the hotel definitely has character. The room was clean and it was very quiet inside the hotel. The staff were very friendly and took time to answer my questions and help me out. The only downside was I booked a room that didn't have a private bathroom. Still the bathrooms and shower facilities were very clean and located directly across my room. In short, I felt fortunate to have stayed here. I saved $$$ on a room and was able to explore some of Vancouver's top sites (Stanley Park, English Bay) with ease.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Adam K

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's always great to hear nice words about the staff, I know how hard they try, and it's great to see it recognized by others. A lot of travellers find themselves getting used to a shared bathroom pretty quickly, especially when they're traveling on a budget.