We just got back from Vancouver after spending 3 nights at The Buchan Hotel. There are positives and negatives that i thought would be helpful to share.
First, the positives:
- great location in the West End-- you can walk to Stanley Park and all the stores near by, including a great Safeway supermarket
- Haro street is very quiet and picturesque
- the Hotel staff were very accomodating ( more about that below)
- there is a wonderful restaurant next door, the Adesso. They serve Northern Italian food which is delicious. Not cheap but nice for a special treat!
- there is a nice sitting room across from the front desk- a cozy place to read, etc. Newspapers are provided as is hot water and tea bags.
Now the negatives:
- There is no elevator in the hotel so if you're on the third floor, you have to lug your bags up
- There is no a/c which for our week, was a problem because it was particularly warm. There were ceiling fans but they didn't cool the room down much. After one sweltering night, we requested 2 rooms on the first floor. The staff had us pack up our bags and they moved them downstairs for us.
Another strange thing in the bathrooms..you have to step up into them because they're not even with the floor. My daughter tripped one time because they didn't warn us about this|!
- the bathrooms smelled funky and are in need of renovation- the glaze on our tub was coming off. (this was on the third floor)
- no phones or clock radios in any of the rooms. Was a pain when you needed the time or to phone- there is a pay phone by the front desk but calls are obviously, no privacy!
I would recommend this hotel to someone who doesn't mind a bare-bones establishement. The price and location are the best things.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Buchan Hotel is an economically priced 3 story walk up hotel ideal for travelers seeking clean, quiet, and comfortable accomodation. The Buchan hotel is located in a residential area of Vancouver's downtown West End, one block from Stanley Park, and three blocks from English Bay Beach. The Buchan hotel is 100% non smoking to ensure your comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Buchan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.