“Terrible Facility”

Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #67 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Besides the view, this hotel really has very little to offer.

Pros: Fast WiFi, great view, conveniently located downtown, staff are helpful and friendly

Cons: Noisy, uncomfortable bed, fuzzy television, no free newspaper, parking, or breakfast, facility needs renovations

We were awoken both nights of our stay at 2:00 a.m. by people returning from the bar and yelling loudly, the bathroom fan didn't work and neither did the remote control, and $15 a day for parking makes up for the expenses you save on the room. Also, when anyone uses the water in an adjacent room, you'll hear it in yours.

Room Tip: The higher the better, the get away from traffic noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MARC G
There are newer reviews for Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having read the other reviews of this hotel, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Yes, the carpet on our room was worn, the furniture had a few scratches and the bathroom could do with a refurb. But i think if all of these were done, they would probably charge twice the price and it would put it out of our reach! As it was, we had a huge room, like a mini suite, with a sitting area and a sleeping area, fully equipped with fridge, microwave, coffee maker and kitchen sink. A big balcony. A fabulous view over the harbour. And everything was clean and comfortable. Good toiletries, plenty of fluffy towels and an efficient shower in an adequate bathroom was fine for me!
We didn't eat in the restaurant on the 42nd floor, but we did enjoy a couple of drinks there. A bit pricey, but, hey, your in a revolving room with views over the whole city! What do you expect? It wasn't as expensive as the drinks in the Banff Springs (where I refused to pay 16 dollars for a gin and tonic)! All in all, I thought this place was a bargain. And the location is excellent for a walk to the Waterfront, or even Gastown.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. The views are fabulous.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I thought this was a very nice place to stay. I'll definitely look at it again when I go back to Vancouver.

When I arrived, the check-in line was a little long, but it moved incredibly fast. But it didn't feel like the desk clerks were rushing you either. Mine offered me a map of the city and circled some tourist sights. I got to my room and was blown away by the view. Every room has a balcony, and from mine I could see Stanley Park, Coal Harbour, and English Bay. Just beautiful.

The bed was comfy, if not new. The room was very clean with all of the standard amenities. A lot of reviewers have said that the rooms are dated, but mine was fine. It certainly wasn't a boutique hotel, but it wasn't Grandma's bedroom, either. The TV was a 42" LCD, but I didn't really use it. There was a mini-fridge, which was nice. And the heat lamp in the bathroom was nice, too!

The wifi was free, which was a nice surprise, because the website says there is a fee for it. The downside is that every single time you want to use it, you have to enter the code on the log-in page. That got very annoying very quickly, but again, it was free when I was expecting it to be $9/day.

My one complaint was the very large deposit that I had to put on a credit card. The website mentions a deposit that was much smaller. My main concern was that my bank would charge an international transaction fee for it, but they didn't. Just something to be prepared for, though, if you're traveling on a budget or have a fee-happy bank.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joshua Q
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Empire Landmark hotel in Vancouver downtown. We are frequent visitors to the city & this time around did not want to splurge on an expensive hotel but also wanted to stay right in downtown. Empire hotel met both the criteria. We were on a higher floor and the view was unexpectedly amazing! We saw the harbor and sunset views that would have cost a fortune in other expensive hotels. The room was clean & spacious though clearly outdated but not bad at all for a short stay. They also have a balcony to hang out in but possibly not very kid friendly. If you are looking for a value deal this is a good choice. Would not recommend to anyone looking for a luxury experience.

Room Tip: Get a corner room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I enjoyed the location and beautiful view (at least, from my high floor) and while the room wasn't luxurious, it was clean. If you are on a romantic vacation, maybe splurge elsewhere, but for me it was a great choice (and, with a coffee maker and balcony and Vancouver sunshine, I did in fact enjoy some time in the room).

Room Tip: high floor (mine was on the 28th) if possible, facing English Bay
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank tripman24
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I booked this hotel even though I read the reviews on Tripadvisor, thinking how bad can it be. Well let me tell you I will NEVER make that mistake again. We started our trip to Vancouver from the east coast of the United States in the morning. Three airplane rides later we arrived in Vancouver, but did not get to the hotel until after midnight pacific time. We were not happy with our room, but we were exhausted. Our room was on the 37th floor with a magnificent view, but it was very small. The furnishings were very old, but the TV was new. There was a table and 2 chairs, but if you pulled out one of the chairs it hit the side of the dresser. On the bathroom mirror there was some kind of crud that would not come off, the counter had chipped edges and the fixtures were so old that the finish was worn off. And finally the concrete on the balcony above us is beginning to crumble (pictures provided).
On the good side, great location and I guess you get what you pay for!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel. If you want a good room pick another hotel
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked a one-night stay through an online booking agency. There were only Smoking rooms available at that time but I requested a move to non-smoking if possible.
One of the main attractions of this property is the upper level revolving restaurant which provides a spectacular view of Vancouver. I called beforehand to see if the restaurant is open for breakfast/lunch because I knew that with the event we were attending, we wouldn't be able to get there for dinner. I was told that they're closed for lunch, but that they serve breakfast. (odd). So, on departure morning, we got a late start, and then did some last-minute computer work so were after 10:15 getting out of the room, taking our bags with us so that we wouldn't be late checking out of the room.
Had a fairly lengthy wait for the elevator to the top floor. Got there at 10:25am. All lights were off, there were ropes across the entry, and the staff were cashing out. YOU'RE KIDDING ME?!?!? We were looking so forward to having a nice relaxing breakfast with a fabulous view. NOT impressed that they closed early. Never even crossed my mind that a major hotel restaurant would close before 11:00am! And there wasn't a soul around, which told us that they shooed everyone out of there well before the 10:30 closing time. Very poor!
We ended up having to walk several blocks, carrying luggage, to find breakfast on a Saturday.
On the plus side though, they honored our request for a non-smoking room and even upgraded us to a king bed. We were on the 21st floor, so about half way up, and had a decent view with a tiny balcony. The bed was hard as a rock and a bit lumpy, but the linens were crisp, clean & modern with a very warm duvet.
I would rate the room 4-star but the restaurant 2-star.