“Great location, but hotel needs work”

Empire Landmark Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #68 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Hamilton, Canada
“Great location, but hotel needs work”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel, and we got an excellent deal on the price through Hotwire. The hotel is in a great location right on Robson and many things you want to see are within walking distance. The buses are easy to catch to get anywhere else you want to go. We had a 17th floor view which was beautiful. The windows are big and the curtains block the light completely when needed. The hotel suited our purposes (just to visit friends and see Vancouver), but there are a few drawbacks you should be aware of before you book. There is no free WiFi in your room, the walls are worn and the bathroom is very out of date. There were some stains on the curtains as well as the carpet, and when I plugged the hairdryer in the lights in the bathroom went out. The tiles and the mirror had cracks. In short, the hotel is outdated and needs to be refurbished.
This is just our experience, and maybe it has been different for others, but the food at the restaurant was just awful. We went for a very overpriced breakfast and were sorely disappointed. The buffet was cold and completely unappetizing, and we left hungry. The staff was friendly and I have no complaints about the service, but I strongly suggest you do not eat the food there.
Again, this is just our experience and maybe the other rooms/meals are better. If the hotel was refurbished I would stay there again, but I would not go back to the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor you can get. The elevators are fast, and the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Drunen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 August 2014

For modern standards this hotel is poor, but not bad. The hotel has a promising name, but the rooms are ready for refurbishment. The carpets are dirty, the wall outlets are worn out so that your adapter will drop. There is also no free WiFi in your room. The bathroom is very poor and not clean. The tiles almost come of the wall, after a few minutes of showering the pressure drops so far that showering stops. Mirrors are broken, the tap from the sink is so worn out that it has two positions, off or maximum, which will make you wet.

The restaurant has a beautiful location on the 42th floor, but the food is poor and too expensive. The meat is fat, the salmon dry, the amount of vegetables is so little you still will be hungry.

Positive are the fast elevators and good location, near Stanley park and the city center. My opinion is based upon rooms 1808 and 1810, I have no complaints about the staff.

The owner really should refurbish this hotel, it’s needed and worth it I think. Oh yes, do something about your cooking.

Room Tip: High, less noise from the city
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RedBora

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I really liked this hotel. The location is fantastic, the rooms are spacious, with balconies, and there is a revolving restaurant on top (42nd floor). All at a down to earth price. I stayed here twice in this vacation, the first time on the 32nd floor looking North, and the second time on the 17th floor looking South.
LOCATION
Right there!... on Robson, shopping, tons of restaurants, close to everything, walk anywhere. Fantastic. I walked everywhere, got lots of exercise. I did use a car2go once, it was right around the corner. And, WHAT A VIEW!... we could see the fireworks from the balcony.
THE COMMON AREAS
Very classy, for the price of the room, there is no other hotel as nice.
THE ROOM
A large, bright room with wall to wall windows. When you pull the curtains, the room is completely dark. It had a wet bar, fridge and microwave, dresser and a large closet. I thought that the decor was very nice, not dated and the air conditioning worked well. There is also a table, chairs and a coffee table in front o the TV.
OVERALL
When making the reservations I had asked for a room high up. I got the 32 floor the first time, but when I came back after a short trip to Victoria, they gave me the 17th floor. I thought it was great, but the Hotel sent a fruit basket with a card explaining that due to the busy weekend that was the highest they had. I would definitely stay here next time.

Room Tip: Try to get a high room, I don't know if it costs more, either North or South, the views are amaz...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I'll do the fast part of the review... Location wise, it's great. Right as downtown as one could want, and certainly easy walking to many restaurants, as well as Stanley Park, English bay etc.
Service was mediocre at best, staff reticent to be of any help. Housekeeping was tidy enough, but the room needs some freshening up... long strands of carpet hanging out of the transition strip at the bathroom? I can only speak of course to my experience, and it was bad. I'm a business traveller and certainly there are some amenities I appreciate. Soon as I got to the room, it was back to the future... it's 2014 and there is a "Mr.Coffee" and a "Clock Radio" (huge thing with such emblazoned across the top of it..whirring and clunking away) in the room, and a TANNING lamp in the bathroom!... Lucky there was a flat screen TV tho, which kept me from thinking i had entered a parallel universe... as the decor is basically.. mirrors.. and more mirrors... and mirrors. The bed was like a plank on two sawhorses (and I can pretty much sleep anywhere) and the big treat was... if i opened the sliding door onto the balcony, everyone smoking out on THEIR balconies was kind enough to share their smoke break with me. Even with the slider closed, it seeped in. Too much seriously..40 floor hotel with 1 ice machine on the 22nd floor... wth ... I do long days of meetings, with a variety of clients and want a bit of rest when I have finally fought my way back through traffic to the hotel. This is the first place I have reviewed and not even given it an 'average' ... to recap, if you want to be downtown, the location can't be knocked, but the most important aspect for any traveller, business or pleasure... is a bit higher level of comfort than just the fact you are indoors and not under a tree. Again my experience, but it was sorely lacking.

Room Tip: Easy one.... Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ferenc V
Washington, DC
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in a deluxe double with water views on the 39th floor. The room was slightly dated in decor, yet the spaciousness and view more than made up for it.

The location has plenty of walking access to restaurants and it's about a 20-25 minute walk to Steam town. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and it was a great place to spend a couple nights after my road trip through the Canadian Rockies. For about $195USD/ni, I think it's a pretty nice value and if I were to be in Vancouver, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Water view on a high floor!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Don N
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We loved staying right downtown in Vancouver and loved our view from our room on one of the top floors. The hotel was very old and not well cared for. The room was tiny and the bed was hard and uncomfortable. I'm not sure what the thread count was on the bed sheets, but I've never slept on anything as course as these. We booked another hotel for our second night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FMJulie
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was slepping in the west faced and was horrible sleep well because there are a big fan in the parking, it´s really noisy.
Is true that the room was really clean and the food is good but for me is really important sleep well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple