“very welcoming home-like atmosphere”
Review of English Bay Inn

English Bay Inn
Ranked #6 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We found this to be a real home away from home. The manager Mike could not have been more helpful or accomodating.One day we had to leave early so he made us a takeaway breakfast! Great position beside Stanley Park and within easy walking distance of the seawall and transport to the city. We stayed in 2 rooms which were both extremely clean and comfortable. The breakfasts which changed daily were all delicious and filling. Definitely the place to stay when you are so far away from home - in our case Australia

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 May 2010

This was our first visit to Vancouver and we were fortunate to find the English Bay Inn B&B. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival by the facilities manager and received a brief orientation on the area while enjoying a glass of sherry in the lovely sitting room which was very tastefully furnished with lovely antiques. Our room was very comfortable and clean with a view of the garden. Breakfast was excellent. The owner and manager were very communicative and made us feel at home. We look forward to staying here on our next visit to Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Very near Stanley Park in the West End, the English Bay Inn offers a stylish alternative to humdrum hotels. It's a well-appointed B&B, with lovely rooms, fascinating touches, a drop-dead gorgeous common sitting room, charming breakfast room--and an utterly delightful middle-aged owner-host. He trained as a chef, speaks many different languages (the ones I heard were Serbian, Italian, English, Polish, and Portuguese), is always ready with a smile and a quip, and also acts as a knowledgeable concierge.

Breakfasts are a thrill. Not only is the food fabulous--and plentiful--but your fellow guests may be from just about anywhere in the world. There seems to be a kind of informal fan club of the English Bay Inn, because a good many of the guests are repeat visitors. First-timers tell me that they picked the inn because of the location--but intend to come back because of, well, everything I've mentioned.

There are other delightful touches, such as your choice of music for breakfast, complimentary brandy and sherry in your room. And if you want a little taste of Serbian apricot brandy after breakfast, why you're more than welcome!

And you are welcome here--it's a quiet, homey, utterly charming getaway that's also just a couple blocks from Denman, the busy restaurant street and Robson, restaurants and shopping. No car in Vancouver. Stay here. No problem. Got a car? Park in back in a reserved space.

So I am writing this review with one reservation, and that is that the place may become so popular that I'll never be able to get back in. But I do love it. My wife and I stayed there in 2002 and then again October 2009. And I can't wait to go back (after the 2010 winter sports nuttiness is over).

There aren't that many rooms. I just hope there's one left.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Our five night stay at The English Bay Inn was a pleasure. Our room was comfortable and clean, the breakfasts, prepared and served in an attractive dining room setting by Greg, the Innkeeper, were ample and delicious. We appreciated the friendliness and attention to detail that Greg continually provided. The location couldn't have been better--just two blocks from the beach at English Bay, and close to Stanley Park. And, we were only a few minutes stroll to Denman Street, with its wonderful choices of International restaurants and cafes.

We highly recommend The English Bay Inn to fellow travelers looking for quiet comfort, and warm hospitality in a lovely setting.

Yuko and Mort,
Berkeley, California

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We spent 2 nights at the English Bay Inn with 2 other couples this month. The B&B is absolutely charming. There are lovely antiques, stained glass windows, and beautiful rooms.
The "mysterious Greg" was a fantastic host! He served a terrific breakfast of fresh fruit, yummy scone, and an entree each morning. I have an allergy, and he prepared a special meal for me. Endless coffee and juice completed the meal. The dining room was a beautiful room, and we had lively discussions with other guests at breakfast. (Ask Greg to tell you the story of the painting on the wall in that room.)

There was a music room, a lovely parlor, and a small room with newspapers, books, and guidebooks for your use. At night, you could serve yourself sherry or port.

The location was superb. We walked to English Bay beach, the ferry to Granville Island, Stanley Park, and Denman Street.

Thanks to Greg for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Staying at the English Bay Inn was just such a pleasure I can't think of staying anywhere else in Vancouver for future trips. After an arduous period of work I flew into Vancouver for a weekend getaway and effortlessly geared down the minute I walked in the door. Besides the great location in the center of town, in a charming quiet street, the welcoming feeling offered by the staff, the cleanliness of the rooms and the subtle wit and feeling of place created by the interior decor made it all seem like Vancouver was going to be home for a few days. Although I spent most of my time out and about walking or taking the bus to fascinating museums, eating out inexpensively and locally, or just taking in the breathtaking beauty of the mountains and ocean, it all seemed to continue in the character of my room. In what was a very comfortable bed I fell asleep replete with the ocean and the sun and woke up cradled by the sea air coming through my window, only to be offered the best breakfast I've ever had at a B & B: and I travel a lot.

With sincere courtesy the proprietor offered me his first name when I was greeted and that was followed by efficiency and service combining professionalism and an easy-going reasonableness. Any questions I had about how to get to places, what were the good local places to eat, or just about Vancouver itself were met with clear, specific and knowledgeable answers.

I think whatever questionable comments concerning the interior decor can be answered by saying that it exemplifies perhaps what a Vancouver home owned by a prosperous European immigrant in the early part of the twentieth century might have in the house: statuettes, paintings, and furniture that had the feel of a European past, memories, but would have easily been transported over a long distance so not of great monetary value. Actually as a PhD student in Art History, the decor offered me an agreeable diversion thinking about what early immigrants to Vancouver might have chosen to hold on to from their past, while making their way in a new place.

I would recommend to anyone I know, especially from Europe or the United States, to stay at the English Bay Inn and not even give a thought to whether or not it is value for money. It just is value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Our visit was terrific: location, personal attention, and charming decor. Never have we spent as much time lingering at breakfast due to the interesting conversations with Greg and other guests. This is facilitated by being seated at a large dinning room table as opposed to individual seating.
Greg accommodated our schedule with breakfast timing, food choice and help in suggesting activities and transportation. His warmth and friendliness enhanced our visit.
The only suggestion would be to freshen the paint and carpet.
We cannot stress enough the great location of the Inn. The park, beach, and Denman Street full of restaurants and public transportation lines are all at your doorstep.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple