“Homely and friendly”

and 1 more site!
O Canada House
Ranked #4 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Could not have picked a better B n B close to downtown. This is an old heritage residential bungalow converted to a bnb. The place is warm, homely and convenient. The staff are a friendly lot and make us feel at home. We got the queen room with patio outside the main house, it was small but well furnished and had many personal touches. However it lacked natural light since there were no windows and winters could be really gloomy. Breakfast was between 8-9 and this I felt was a bit inconvenient for travellers. The hang out in the main house with all the goodies round the clock was memorable and I could receive my guests with ease. I had a relaxing stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from Vancouver & our fabulous stay at the 'O Canada' House B & B on Barclay St. We enjoyed our extra-long weekend stay as our 'base-of-operations' to take in many of the sights, sounds & tastes that downtown Vancouver has to offer.

Our hosts were much more than staff; they became true friends during this time......friendly, courteous, and above all, professional. The 'House' is an old Victorian home.....cozy, wonderfully laid out and filled with antiques and quality furnishings; taking the delicious & generous breakfasts in the main Dining Room was the perfect way to start the day.

We are extremely grateful to our hosts for making us feel so at home and for making our stay in Vancouver one we'll always remember. Although this was our first time staying here, it will definitely not be our last.

The 'House' is also conveniently located only 2 blocks from the heart of Downtown in a 'tony' residential neighbourhood of lovely old Victorian homes, stately tree-lined streets & one block from the gem that is Nelson Park.

To sum up, the 'House' is synergetically wonderful.....greater than the sum of its parts!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Master Suite on the ground floor, and would highly recommend it for other couples.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed for a week at O' Canada House and it felt like home almost immediately. It was ringing outside and I was welcomed with an offer to warm myself by the living rom fireplace while my bags were brought upstairs. There also were chocolates and complimentary sherry in the living room and access to a host of snacks -- some fresh-baked -- in the kitchen pantry area.

My room had a comfy, cozy king bed and a bathroom with shower AND claw foot tub. That bath was wonderful on several occasions when I needed to sooth aching muscles after a day in damp, brisk weather or miles of wandering throughout downtown Vancouver and Granville Island.

The inn is well-situated, in close proximity to the False Creek ferries, great restaurants, Stanley Park, wonderful walking leading to all parts of downtown and their respective sights.

Susanne, the manager of the inn is both friendly and knowledgeable, offering helpful suggestions on all Vancouver has to offer. And the breakfasts, made by innkeeper/ chef were off the charts delicious and filling. Made to spec for those with food allergies or special needs, the flavors and thought that went into each creation offered mouthwatering dining each and every morning, as well as reinforced the desire to get out and walk, hike, or bike -- all of which are fun activities to do in Vancouver.

During my lengthy stay, I saw other guests come and go, and at least two RETURN for another stay. If you'll be in Vancouver, O'Canada House is your destination for the very best in hospitality. (Do not be fooled by their non-#1 rating. That is completely misleading and unwarranted.) I'd stay there again anytime I find myself in Vancouver.

Room Tip: The North Room where I stayed is the only with a bathtub, a wonderful luxury if you like that kind o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at O Canada House Bed & Breakfast in Vancouver this week for 3 nights.
Best breakfast was served each morning, the room was large, full of character, with a perfect bed.
Very close to the center of the city, in a quiet street. During our stay we felt like we are visiting family who are happy to see us. We stayed in the North Suite facing the street, and even there it was very quiet. Staff were treating us in an extremely friendly, open manner. Do yourself a favour, stay there when in Vancouver.

Room Tip: We stayed at the North suite facing the street, but the South suite is just as good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A really friendly place, in 1890's colonial style but all the amenities. Plenty of complementary cake, cookies, tea/coffee and a relaxed parlour to sit in.

The room was very comfortable (we had the East Suite) with plenty of wardrobe space, nice bathroom (shower) and huge, comfortable bed (simply the best night's sleep we've had anywhere other than home!). We had a two week stay in Vancouver and spent it all at O Canada House and found it a perfect place to set up basecamp. It's close to the harbour front, all the attractions, it was only a short stroll to Stanley Park, or any of a wide range of places to eat, and for anything further afield, it's a few minutes walk to Burrard where you can benefit from Vancouver's excellent public transport system.

The crew running the place were simply excellent. Friendly, helpful, they couldn't have been nicer. Particularly Danny and his breakfast masterpieces! Believe me, if I wrote down the components that went into his dishes, you probably wouldn't believe it, (for an Englishman used to his tea and toast, with occasional bacon...) but his palette is sound and they all work together to create something tasty and filling (and memorable!). They all dealt marvellously with my wife's allergies, with Danny again coming up trumps to make sure the breakfasts were suitable and still fabulous. Essentially they made us feel like part of the family, which being so far from home was really appreciated.

The best I can say is we were sad to leave. Again, thanks.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My sweetheart and I had been planning a nice little get-a-way to the San Juan Islands and then on up into Vancouver for several months. Depending on how you look at it, we either fortunately, or unfortunately did not plan far enough in advance. O Canada House was not our first choice, but actually our third choice of a Bed and Breakfast. That being said however, it does not mean that we were disappointed! Although we had really hoped to find a room with a view, we ended up being very happy with our choice of O Canada House.

This was only my second visit to Vancouver and I was not familiar at all with the lay out of the city. One thing I did not realize is how difficult it is to find parking in the city. Other than Stanley Park (which I highly recommend visiting) it is really hard to find a place to park. Fortunately, O Canada House has pretty much overcome this obstacle.

Danny is the chef extraordinaire and also the chief bottle washer/doer of all things. He tells me that although they actually have more rooms available than they have parking spaces available, it has only ever been a problem for them twice in the years that he has been on premises.

O Canada House happens to be the only actual house on the entire street. All of the other buildings seem to be apartments or condos. As such, it is almost impossible to find street parking, or even a place to load/unload in front of the establishment itself. While the street it is located on (Barclay) is relatively quiet, there is sufficient traffic that you can't stop for more than a minute in front. Fortunately, they have 4 guest parking spots out in back. Consequently, I would highly recommending just driving around the block and parking in one of their spots in the alley on arrival. It makes everything so much easier.

I know I got carried away talking about parking right off, but it made a big impression on me and I wanted to be sure to pass it on.

They ask that you give them notice as to your expected arrival time so that they can be sure to be there to greet you. Since we were driving up from the States, we called them from the border, which gave them about 45 minutes notice. Consequently the hostess was there to greet us upon arrival and quickly got us oriented to the alley parking.

The house itself is charming. It is in good repair and is very pleasant. I thought the interior color scheme was a little understated in beige (another word for boring), but I am sure it is meant to please the most number of people while offending no one.

We were promptly shown around the facility and invited to partake of some of Danny's delicious treats. He had prepared a delightful nut-bread and at least two different homemade cookies for our enjoyment. Also provided are a variety of soft drinks, tea and coffee and a very nice afternoon sherry. Danny, if you are reading this, something I forgot to pass on is that several of the sherry glasses had been used and replaced without being washed. Just something for you to keep an eye on.

We had made arrangements for the very spacious Penthouse suite. When I say spacious, I mean that the two king size beds were almost lost up there! The room is huge. It is also very quiet. We could not have been more pleased. The beds had excellent linens and were extremely comfortable. Just one word of caution if you rent the Penthouse Suite. It is on the third floor and there is no elevator! So pack light! I would suggest having one small suitcase to carry up there if possible! It just so happens that I had hurt my foot two days before and it was excruciating going up and down those steps. But that was my fault, not theirs!

The only small disappointment in our suite was the size of the shower and the water pressure. It was adequate. That is the most I can say about it. The bathroom itself was sufficiently large, only the shower was somewhat cramped and the pressure somewhat dismal.

Her is one of the best things I found about O Canada House! Danny makes a superb breakfast! I mean one of the best I have had at a B&B. He is very creative without being weird about it. And, this is very important to me, Danny does not carb load your breakfast! You know how so many B&B's fill you up with baked goods and you walk away from breakfast with a dazed look and a sugar high? Not so here. We were treated to a round of a very nice fresh fruit cup with a yogurt topping to get things started. We also had fresh squeezed orange juice and high quality coffee and tea, with real cream. Next came a wonderful creation of toast, poached egg, sausage and spinach. It was simply delightful. The second morning was an equally wonderful creation.

In summary, while not our first choice, we were very pleased with the outcome of our stay at O Canada House. Danny is one of those people who really "gets" how to run a B&B. It is centrally located, very quiet, easy to navigate to/from and the food is way above par. We would absolutely go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N701AZ
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at O Canada house while attending the Pacific Dental Conference. I must say that it was THE BEST home away from home I have ever had. It was an easy walk to the Vancouver Convention Centre, the bed was soooo comfortable (I was in south suite), it was quiet quiet quiet, so close to great restaurants and shopping, and Danny (chef and host) made the best omelettes (organic farm fresh eggs)! I wanted to move in and stay forever!

• Stayed: March 2014