“Beautiful venue, some terrible staff”
Review of Orpheum Theatre

and up
Downtown Vancouver Ghost Walking Tour
Ranked #49 of 349 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1927, this restored theater is home to the Vancouver Symphony.
“Beautiful venue, some terrible staff”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

During a concert a wonderful opening band was playing, and usually nobody stands for opening bands so they decided to call out and tell us to jump on our feet and dance. Ofcourse, like every other concert I've been to, the audience makes their way to the front to wave their hands and sing along. I got to the very front, I was very pleased with how everything was going. Surprisingly, majority of people were calm with their surroundings and it was going very well. But within minutes, a certain security guard starts yelling at the others, telling them to push everyone back to their seats because in their rules it's a fire hazard (which is strange because other venues I go to never call an audience a fire hazard). I can understand an entire audience can be difficult to deal with but to shove my friend and I to the very back of the floor (rather than our purchased seats in the very middle row) is very harsh. Being short, i couldn't get a good view AT ALL of my favorite band. Everytime I tried to get back to my seat, I was once again pushed to the back by security. It's gonna be difficult for me to ever purchase tickets for a band at this venue again.
Keep in mind, it was not just my friend and I, it was everyone in or near the front

Visited October 2013

Edmonton, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great venue for eyes and ears”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Close to public transit and a joy to be in while listening to a performance. Don't be afraid to book front row for symphony. What you lose in overall perspective you gain in being up close to all the action.

Visited April 2014
Halfmoon Bay, Canada
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great Architecture but very cramped”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This theatre dates back to the early 1900's. It has amazing architecture inside and out. Unfortunately, the seat pitch is very small and you can very likely have knees touching the seat in front of you.

Visited May 2014
British Columbia, Canada
425 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 356 helpful votes
“Grand Ol' Dame stands the test of time”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Chris Botti and guests with the VSO -- fabulous music in a venue that has stood the test of time. Awesome. On intermission take a walk and study the pictures of the Who' s Who of dignitaries who have graced her stage. Downside? Lower balcony was built for people whose stature was common for that bygone era, not so much for us or maybe just yours truly who is 6'. Not zero leg room, actually have-to-cross-your-legs-to-fit-in leg room. If you are up there pay the extra $ for Dress Circle instead. Yes the acoustics are phenomenal (in this instance handling a blend of jazz and a symphony orchestra) but it is kind of like comparing that great restored 57 Chevy with something today utilizing better technology. (e.g nostalgia is great but so too is ABS.) If you want acoustic perfection, go to the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville TN (recommended by a person who is not at all a Country fan). Lastly, for the price of booze, could they possibly make the glass sizes any smaller? Call me a sentimental old fool, but I actually know what constitutes a pint (or if not specifically called that, a decent pour) and am lately shaking my head for the prices on the board and the thimbles people are carrying around. Personally I hit the Irish Lennox pub a couple of blocks away rather than join the pre-show queue. Cheers : )

Visited June 2014
Thank Codiak!
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Eddie Izzard”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Orpheum has long been a favourite venue. The interior is absolutely beautiful, the acoustics amazing. Seats are comfortable. Lovely venue with a timeless elegance

Visited December 2013