“Not very impressed.”

and up
Vancouver Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #77 of 349 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: The city's largest theater complex is home to the Vancouver Opera and sponsors a variety of different performances.
Las Vegas
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Not very impressed.”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Spent the evening at the opening night of Vancouver Opera's "Don Giavonni," and by intermission we decided we had had enough. Upon arriving it seemed like mass confusion, and appeared the theatre did not have enough staff to deal with the crowd. After finally finding our way through the see of confusion, we found our seats. At first it seemed every seat in the house was going to be good, but as the opera began, we found out that was not going to be the case.

First of all, the seats are very close together. Secondly, the offset in the heights of the seats are off (what I mean by this is... I'm 5'11 and if I sit straight up in a chair I should be able to look over the top of a 5'5 women's head who is seated below me....not the case.) Lastly, the sound within the theatre is very poor. There were times, when the performers would be at a certain location on the stage and you could not hear them singing. Not to mention the person who was assigned to run the overhead (which provides the translation of the song) must have been asleep. There were times we must have went three to five verses in a song with NO translation. Then to top it off, there were a lot of misspelled words. By the time we got to intermission, we both agreed it was time to go and get something to eat.

So I'll close by saying, if you're looking for a night were you can't really see the performance, hear the performance, understand the performance but want to be seen around the Who's Who of the city, this is the place for you. My wife and I both agreed, being from Vegas, we must be spoiled to the quality of shows we see on a regular basis.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank OneHappyCouple2007

Maple Ridge, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic Venue”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

West Side Story at Queen Elizabeth was fantastic. The venue is spacious. Acoustics are great, the staff are friendly and very helpful. Great seats throughout the entire facility. Only down part was basement floor bathrooms are hard for disabled persons to get to.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank RAVENBRAN20
British Columbia, Canada
277 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“good to be back!”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I haven't attended an event here for a very long time. I was in town and happened to see that the ballet "Romeo and Juliet" by the royal winnipeg ballet was on. I managed to get a ticket and the show was wonderful! the queen e looked to be in pretty good shape also! when I lived in Vancouver 40 years ago I went to a number of events then and over the years also, so all felt familiar. good energy, friendly staff, clean, comfortable seats. I was very happy to be back and hope the next time won't be so long!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank jarmwr40
Revelstoke, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Yuen Shen”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We attended this event at the QE theatre, which was my first visit there. The show was great, we had great seats to watch the show. The sound when the orchestra played, was also great.

Visited January 2014
Burnaby, Canada
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 267 helpful votes
“Ballet BC presents - Alberta Ballet 'The Nutcracker'.”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We attended a performance of Alberta Ballet's 'The Nutcracker' at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in late-December 2013, and were totally "wowed" by the sights and sounds!!! With our seats in the first row of the dress circle, we had unobstructed views of the stage, and the orchestra as well -- thus, very much-enriching our total experience.

The Nutcracker was bright and beautiful - with the fine sets, wonderful costumes, and lovely choreographies. And the Tchaikovsky score, in hands of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra was simply glorious. Delightful sights and sounds, and those two senses were sure given a great workout!!

Thanks to Ballet BC, Alberta Ballet, and the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, we were able to much-enjoy another wonderful event of the holiday season.

Visited December 2013