See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 August 2011

As I write this review, I realize that I have stayed at the Robsonstrasse--infrequently--for more than ten years. Over all that time, I have never been disappointed.

"Dolly" and Ashif are a constant, hospitable presence, always seeking to maximize the comfort of their guests.

On this visit, a glitch in the online reservation system--combined with the inexperience of a front desk clerk--left me and two friends without rooms! (And this was on the evening of the International Fireworks to Music Competition!) With patience and diligence, both Ashif and "Dolly" worked to solve the immediate problem, as well as determining how to prevent the problem from ever happening in the future.

The bathroom and other facility renovations were new to me and a very positive addition. We were placed in a Robson Street-side room which was a bit noisy. I've always preferred the back rooms, despite their lack of a "view."

The Robsonstrasse is like an old friend. I'm always glad to be back in touch, always happy to share past experiences, always looking toward the comforts of familiarity--despite the fact that their hair might be mussed or that I don't agree with their choices in wardrobe.

I would agree with every positive thing said about the Robsonstrasse and would dispute the perceptions of those who speak negatively about my old pal.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed 3 nights and were glad we did. Staff were extremely helpful and nice.The manager was a real gentleman and nothing was too much trouble. Room was clean and comfortable if a little in need of renovation. In window AC was a bit noisy but it kept the room nice and cool for sleeping. Just what I would expect for the price.The key here being value and thats what you get. Location cant be beat for this wonderful walking city.
We asked and got a room away from the street as Robson can get a bit lively on a summers night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I booked a room, two months in advance, at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites (using the reservation tool on their website) ... 7 days before my arrival, their system has cancelled my reservation !!!
They argued that I had made a mistake with my credit card number. Even if true, how could I know ?... I received a confirmation from them after my booking !

5 days, 2 long distance calls and 10 emails later, they were still unable to solve that problem. So, I had to book somewhere else in 2 days notice...At a time when, among other things, a Conference of 8000 participants and a Stanley Cup finals were held in town - I was very close to do camping in Stanley Park!

They did not offer me another room.
They did not offer me compensation.
They did not even apologize for the inconvenience.

My advice: Do not trust them, book another hotel

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
9  Thank Mme_Leduc
Reviewed 20 February 2011

The hotel is in a good location, however all the places on Robson street seem to close fairly early. The hotel were particular with what you cooked which was explained to us when we moved in, however we werent aware how particular the management would be. The cooker in the room didnt have an extractor fan and therefore anything being cooked on the hob, in the oven or in the toaster would set off the smoke alarm on a near daily basis.
We were recommended the only way round this would be to open all the windows and switch the air conditioner on full blast, which in mid january is not ideal in your pyjamas!

While most of the staff were friendly and helpful, the old woman who works there (although we're not sure as we were told various stories of her role in this hotel by herself) really let this hotel down. On various occasions she was rude and said inappropriate and offensive(at times) statements. One such story was that her husband had died and the manager made her work all the hours he could, however about a week later she then told us that her and her husband ran this hotel as well as the hotel over the road. pretty impressive for a dead person! And another was discussing inappropriate 9/11 views which I found shocking and offensive.
Other than this it was a good place to stay for the month we spent in Vancouver.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stunew15
robsonstrasse, General Manager at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

I have read the review. I appreciate these guests had varied feedback and I would like to respond appropriately and accordingly with impartiality I had met these guests during their stay here at the hotel.
These guests were extended stay guests for 1 month period and they required cooking facilities. The unit these guests stayed in was a bachelor /studio and has an exposed kitchen, which does not require a fun hood.
Our standard policy is to advise all extended stay guests to open their room windows when preparing and cooking foods, particularly when using heavy laden spices.
We provide a Non-Smoking Hotel and provide NON-SMOKING rooms only . These guests were chronic smokers and even though, they smoked outside the building, the room has a built in sensitized cigarette smoke dictator and is only triggered when cigarette smoke is detected, which may explain why it constantly went off. We advised the guest that smoking is not permitted in the room - they assured us that they were not smoking in the room or the building.
A staff clerk may have advised them to turn the A/C re-circulating fan on during food preparation.

The mention of the "Old Lady" the Guest refer to, is Rosaria, one of the oldest, most respected, most valued, housekeeper. I hight doubt this housekeeper would say anything, I am not sure the purpose of the personal attack against Rosaria , but possibly , ccording, to Rosaria, her report filed to the Front Desk , she had reported that these guests had violated the Non-smoking policy and another incident sighted these Guests coming into the hotel at 3 am drunk and smoking. Rosaria stopped them at the elevator and ask them to put the cigarette out immediately and Rosaria would not let them enter the elevator until they put the cigarette out and discarded in the waste bin.
We strive to provide the best possible service to all our guests, while trying to maintain our policy standards. It is understandable that certain people do get offended by our policy, however,these guests do sign a contract which states our policy and we communicate our policy verbally prior to check-in time.
We will always continue to provide the best possible service to all our guests. What makes us so unique, is our ability to maintain and adhere our policy standards.
I appreciate the opportunity to respond in kind
Best Regards
Ashif
GM

Reviewed 16 December 2010

I have become a permanent fixture for this hotel and, though, I do not get to come out this way very often I always choose to stay at the Robsonstrasse. They have been nothing but amazing to me; the manager and all of the staff. I would not stay in any other hotel now that I've come to know the wonderful staff of this establishment and that's why it pains me to see all these horrible reviews geared towards this nice, but older, hotel.
People are so horribly vindictive when they do not get their way and or have been caught with their proverbial pants down.
I have felt nothing but safe and secure at the Robsonstrasse for any and all of my previous stays and every time I return they take excellent care of me to the best of their abilities. Now I understand everyone wants a five star treatment, but it is easy to understand that as a boutique styled hotel, that is in no way apart of some massive chain, they are limited in what they CAN do for their guests. However, they always make up for it with their clean, affordable rooms (if a little on the older side), upgrades for return guests (if they so desire) and a friendly atmosphere. Even their new day clerks gave their best in trying to assist me with restaurants to dine at and a few other sights I had not seen or even thought of to check.
Like I have mentioned in my other postings to this site; I will always return for a stay at the Robsonstrasse.
Thank you so much for, yet another, wonderful stay.
Do take care and I hope to be back again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo