“The most terrible hotel I ever been!”

Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites
Ranked #86 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 3 December 2010

The room is cold even when you maximize the heater and the room service is so irregular and irresponsible!
The gym equipment are half broken!
The laundry is too expensive, $4 for washing and $4 for drying!
The hotel manager is an impolite person, so don't get shocked if you find him talking to you rudely (he is absolutely uncultured!). Be careful he will look for fake damages in the room to take away money from your deposit when you check out!
The room's view sucks!
The room and parking keys are not working properly due to its magnetic failure, You'll need to ask the front desk to recharge them almost everyday, and you may get stuck entering the parking sometimes which is really annoying!
Some rooms have a stove but they have no hood, so even if you cook lightly the smell will go around, and opening the windows wont help!

As a friendly advice, try other hotels nearby if you respect your privacy and comfort!

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank Traveler101021
robsonstrasse, Manager at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2010

I have read this review and let me provide some clarification on this guest complaint. The registered guest wanted a monthly accommodation for his parents coming from Iran. The son was advised of all the rules and regulations regarding long term stays. We specifically cater to guests that have have allergen related medical issues. The son came in to view the Suite, a month in advance and was informed that certain types of food preparation and smoking were NOT permitted in the building and rooms I personally suggested an alternated hotel if that be the case. He liked the viewed room and agreed that his parents would abide to the rules and regulations. Immediately after checking into room parents starting cooking heavy spicy laden food that emitted a heavy "foul smelling odor" that offended many of our exiting guests on that floor. The family was told that they were to open the window and minimize the type of spices they used in preparation of food. They agreed, but continued to cook in the original manner. The son was informed when he visited the parents in the evening for dinner. He was an attending university student and agreed that he would make sure the parents would respect the rules as agreed upon. Unfortunately, they ignored rules altogether. I was spoke with the son repeatedly and not much came of it. I believe,the son had little influence on the parents action , the parents were very traditional minded in their mannerism and as such they were accustomed to their traditional way of preparing their meals. Furthermore, since the son was a university student I believe the parents wanted to provide the son with a traditional home cooked meal everyday during his daily 5pm visit.
I told the son please at least inform your parents to open the windows during the preparation and cooking .
At the end of the month the parents were ready to check out. When I viewed the room with the son it was really messy with "yellow greasy food coloring stains on all the kitchen appliances and all the furniture. The carpet had food dropping everywhere.
There was garbage bags stacked under the sink cabinet The parents were supposed to bring their daily garbage to the bin located downstairs in the garage, which they never did. The housekeeping maid brought it down on their maid service days .This compounded the smell The son was informed that he would loose a substantial portion of his security deposit as a result. We found a cigarette lighter and burnt incense sticks everywhere that further compounded the smell issue.
It took the maintenance/housekeeping dept 3 days in total to clean this entire room. They had to wash all the walls with enzymatic organic chemicals, shampoo the carpet, dry clean all the fabrics and ozone the room as a final precaution remedy.
Our hotel specializes in room for people who suffer from airborne allergens, such as smoke smell hay fever, perfumes, or aerosols. Our existing guests on the floor were very thankful that the parents in that room had checked out. We had to offer a future complementary discount voucher to all the guests on that floor that had to deal with the smell ordeal for the entire month.
We strive to provide a unique service to all our specialty guests and will continue to do so in the future. Our policies are strictly adhered to and admired by many who have stayed with and complimented us for mandating such a policy.
Ashif
GM

Reviewed 4 September 2010

As usual the Robsonstrasse and it's happy staff never disappoint me. My sister and I decided to travel out to the wonderfully green city of Vancouver once again and as is the norm for me now we stayed at the Robsonstrasse. We were greeted with warm smiles from the ever helpful staff who upgraded us to a larger suit (for the same price) just, because I am a return guest.
I never get this treatment at any of the other hotels I stay at. If I upgrade at any other hotel I have been charged applicably for it....not much, but still charged none the less.

I was pleasantly shocked when I arrived at the hotel this time around as they have apparently given the building a bit of a make-over. A whole new coat of paint (nice and bright) and a brand new sign (time and all included). Not only that, but even the rooms have been renewed and are even better than my last stay. The beds have spring, the appliances are shiny and new and there is now free WiFi!
All this and the wonderful staff just added up to a superb stay!

I shall return again.
They will never be rid of me. :)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Possibly the worst hotel in terms of value that I have ever been to. The lobby hadn't been vacuumed in well over a week, there were piles junk everywhere (I have the pictures to prove it) and our two room suite only had one window unit air conditioner. I had to sleep on the floor in the room with the air conditioner because the other room was so hot. I've stayed in better hotels for $50 a night, let alone the $239 they charged us. We left after one night.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank MikeF21
Reviewed 16 August 2010

The Robsonstrasse exceeded my expectations, providing a spacious room, comfortable bed, VERY clean hotel, and excellent location. If you're looking for a boutique-type hotel (and are okay with sacrificing large resort-type amenities), this is probably Vancouver's best option.

The staff is very friendly, and they operate with the goal of obtaining guest loyalty. After returning home, I had a question about my bill and emailed the hotel; they returned my message within twenty minutes and we were able to resolve my confusion.

The Robsonstrasse is a great deal for travelers, and I will be returning!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Hotel cancelled our large group reservation despite having written confirmation. We had sent emails and phoned to verify that everything would be great with our reservations which were made months ahead of time, but when we arrived our reservations had been cancelled. No explanation was offered and staff were completely ignorant. The Hotel manager and booking agents in particular do not help you at all. They didn't offer to help us in any way or compensate us for the problems and said they were now fully booked.

I had read the bad reviews but since it was cheap and in a good location, decided to go ahead anyways- Don't!
Do not even bother to waste your time despite what any other review or the 'hotel manager' who comments on these reviews says.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank Calgarygaytravel
robsonstrasse, General Manager at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

The have reviewed this complaint and according yo our records. This guest booked for 2 rooms for a group 4 and 5 persons. , respectively .The maximum allowable ( fire regulations ) is 4 in a standard room or Deluxe Studio ( with Stove ). The reservation was made for 4 nights each. The guest wanted to shorten his stay length reservation to 3 nights. The Front Desk reservation informed the guest that if the reservation was made online , the reservation would have to be modified online. The guest tried to modify the reservation and inadvertently cancelled it. According to the web site tech support, the reservation has a minimum stay requirement ( 4 nights ) for this room type and as such it could not be modified and instead the guest had to be re-book it as a new reservation. Having said that, the cancelled reservation is added to the general availability inventory. The reservation dates were during the fire works and the Pride Parade . The rooms were no longer available due to heavy busy dates. We apologized and said we had no standard rooms , deluxe studio available. We had larger suites to offer , however the guest would accept the rate structure and wanted the original rates of the standard room and deluxe studio and would not reconsider any other options. We tried our best however the guest was being very difficult to communicate and really upset. We tired to an amicable resolution to no avail. Our policies to accommodate all our guest. All our guests refers us to other by word of mouth with the utmost praise and compliments. We are sorry that this guest suffered the inconvenience due to issues beyond our control. However we did attempt to resolve it to the best of our abilities.
Karim
GM

Reviewed 4 July 2010

We loved our stay, my husband and I had come to Vancouver to do a workshop at the wellness show. Friends of ours had told us about this hotel, but we had no idea what it would be like, we just knew it was close to downtown. When we arrived we were welcomed warmly, there was free, secure parking for our vehicle, and our room was all ready for us. It was delighful. The room was very clean, quiet, lots of hot water. Anything we needed was available we just had to phone the desk.

The hotel is a perfect location for touring Vancouver, we walked everywhere, including around Stanley Park that evening. We had a wonderful time, and would definitely stay there again.

Thank you all for making our weekend so perfect.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I always stay at the Robsonstrasse when I'm in Vancouver. It is clean and affordable. They have upgraded me a few times, at no extra charge, because I am a regular customer. It is right on Robson Street, so the location is great. Taxi service is easy to find also. Parking is in a secure place and is watched by video. Your room key is needed to Access the elevator so that makes visitors feel secure. Rooms are air conditioned.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends