Granville Island Hotel
Hotel BLU(Vancouver)
US$283
US$266
  • Pool
Blue Horizon Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$271
US$202
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
Sunset Inn and Suites(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$238
TripAdvisor
2,334 results
All reviewsdockside restaurantpublic marketgreat locationart gallerieswater viewthe penthouseboutique hotelfront desk staffeasy accessdowntown vancouversea wallwonderful hotelstanley parkcreekgiaquabuswedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Came to the hotel earlier in the week to scope out the rooms. Front desk staff were very accommodating in arranging for my personal tour with A.J. who was very helpful. Fell in love with room 307 with the beautiful view of False Creek and a southern exposure. The room has three private balconies to boot. Unfortunately, the room was already booked for the weekend. I booked room 107 with King bed and sitting area. Booked our stay for Friday and Saturday nights finishing up with a Mother's Day brunch on the Suday (May 13). The staff also assisted in arranging to have the champagne and ice cream on ice (Cherry Garcia - yum) I bought be put on ice. Also gave us a vase for the flowers for my kid's mom. Staff set up the champagne, flowers. ice cream and cheesy magazines in the sitting area. Well done. The room was quiet; the bed was comfortable. The staff were excellent and friendly. Needed help with resetting the cable for the television. Called for maintenance to come. Met him out in the hallway because he was heading back to the front desk to have them call my room. I had a DND sign on the door and hotel policy was not to knock on the door without being sure it would not disturb the guest.

Dockside patio was excellent and had great sun exposure during the day and heaters at night. Great food, great drinks and great staff at Docksides. The Mother's Day brunch was a fabulous spread - well done. Great value for the $55. Family enjoyed the time and the hotel. Really enjoyed the band the hotel had playing during the Mother's Day brunch.

Thanks for the wonderful getaway within my own city. Loved hanging out at the hotel and Granville Island for the weekend. The hotel is a piece of paradise within the heart of the city.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed at the Granville Island Hotel for one night at the conclusion of a 12 Night Hawaii to Vancouver Cruise on Royal Caribbean. When we arrived well before the normal check-in time on May 4th, the Front Desk quickly had rooms made up and we were able to stow our bags and start exploring Vancouver. The Front Desk personnel offered suggestions to a central location in Vancouver where we took a complimentary bus tour and also visited the Suspension Bridge Park. We took a taxi back to Granville Island and had a delicious late lunch at the Sand Bar Restaurant. During a visit to The Public Market we found wonderful meat, cheese, appetizer spreads, fresh breads & pastries that were paired with Red Wine & Champagne for a lovely evening picnic on the hotel patio. Later in the evening we had pizza, oysters & wine in the hotel bar that were all delicious and delivered very quickly. We had a king size bed, which was very comfortable. The rooms only have floor lamps, which made it a little difficult to read once the sun had gone down, but everything else in the room was great. Breakfast was in the hotel restaurant and consisted of the asian seafood omlette, white rice, spicy asian sauce & fresh fruit. Check-out was quick and easy the hotel was a 20 minute to the airport. I wish we had been able to spend more time on Granville Island and visit the surrounding area. If we visit Vancouver again I know where we will stay again.

Room Tip: The Front Desk has coupons to many Vancouver sights. A recommend a king size room if available.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My family and I have been staying at the GIH several times a year for many years now. Love being on the water, taking the water taxi over to Yaletown is so very easy and a good way to avoid the traffic of this very busy tourist location. Their web site gives a very true discription of all the rooms, you will not be disappointed. All the staff has always been very pleasant and helpful. Just ask, they will get you what you need. A few steps out the front door is the false creek rec center for a more complete work-out ,cycling,yoga etc.Beds are comfortable ,views are great.Many,many great restaurants just moments away. Cant wait till we return Love Vancouver Lover Granville Island and all the great shops and of course the Farmers Market.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I booked Granville Island Hotel as part of a cosmetic surgery package. The Sheraton Wall Hotel was another option but I chose the Granville Island Hotel for its walkable distance to where I was having the procedure. The hotel delivers on many fronts. The superior room I stayed in was spacious with a sumptuous king size bed, large sofa and additional chair, large flat screen TV, work desk and separate desk and mirror near the hanging space. The bathroom was similarly spacious and looked as if it had just been renovated. The views were stunning, looking across the marina and False Creek to both South Granville and Yaletown. Staff were friendly and efficient and room service delivered on time on all occasions I tried it. A pizza Margherita and grilled wild sockeye salmon were excellent options on the room service menu. Wifi is available in the room for no extra charge and was fast and reliable. Granville Island is also a thriving location for the visual and performing arts with a huge variety of craft-type shops and places to eat at or buy food. Overall, a really excellent hotel and I hope to return next year as part of a summer vacation to fully enjoy all that the hotel and Granville Island have to offer.

Room Tip: 207 has fantastic views and a refurbished bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank DGEKent
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Let me preface this review by stating that I have been a very regular visitor to Vancouver since childhood and my wife and I have stayed in very many of the fine hotels in the city since we were first marriage. In fact, Granville Island Hotel was the first hotel we stayed in together in Vancouver but that was shortly after it opened. Because Vancouver has so much to offer we just never seemed to get back to it.
This April marked a very special birthday for my wife and I offered to take her anywhere she wanted to go. She surprised me by asking to go to Vancouver and stay at Granville Island Hotel. We had no idea what changes might have taken place over the years but we booked our reservation and crossed our fingers. The two of us needn’t have worried. In fact, this boutique hotel is an absolute joy.
On arrival we pulled up to the front of the hotel and received a very warm greeting from a young man handling valet parking. Entering the hotel we noticed real changes from its start in the 1980’s when there was a massive moving sculpture hanging from the ceiling and an open bar and restaurant area next to the lobby that was typical of that era – excessive. Now the lobby is quiet, stylish and calming.
The staff members at the front desk were not only welcoming but genuinely pleasant. As they carried out the check-in they made a special point of wishing my wife a happy birthday, something that was a very nice touch. They then surprised us by upgrading our room.
We took our bags to the top floor, the 3rd, on the East wing of the hotel. Our room was situated right at the end of the wing. We opened the door to find a very large, beautiful suite that featured a terrific king-size bed in the centre and windows looking out on two sides. There were three small balconies overlooking the park and yacht moorings on one hand and then all the way down False Creek past Yaletown to the geodesic Science Centre. As we stood admiring the view a dragon boat swept past on the water with rowers pulling on oars, sailboats pulled away from docks and joggers ran by on the pier below. At night the same view was magical with the lights of the city reflecting on the water. Pure heaven.
Our room also featured fine amenities including free Internet access and a good desk set-up. That came in handy when I had to deal with urgent business matters one morning. The flat screen television was large and of good quality and the seating in the room and out on the balconies allowed us to catch up on the news in the morning and sit with our coffee to take in the view. It was also a very nice touch to find a free newspaper at our door every morning.
Our room had a very large bathroom with two sinks and a large show with a great showerhead arrangement. Although not a problem, we found it odd that there wasn’t a bathtub in this room. That may be a part of a good water conservation policy, a real effort to be eco-friendly when many hotels just make token gestures.
Through our stay the staff always greeted us as if we were old friends and made certain that they took the time to chat. They also wanted to make sure that our every need was being taken care of. As an example, when we found that our room did not have any bathrobes we made a request and they were brought up in less than 5 minutes.
We ate breakfast and also had cocktails in their main dining room, the Dockside Restaurant. Each time the food and service were very good. I was pleasantly surprised that the menu had very healthy choices and an emphasis on excellent ingredients. A real bonus is that Granville Island has its own microbrewery on site. They make well-crafted beers that are a delight to those that enjoy a good pint.
Vancouver is a very busy metropolis and its city centre is very dense with a lot of traffic and activity both day and night. Granville Island Hotel offers one very unique feature that very few hotels in the city can do. Because it is situation at the end of Granville Island out over the water and away from the main roads, it is very quiet. You don’t have to worry about being awakened in the middle of the night by traffic sounds or sirens or the odd rowdy tourist.
Granville Island Hotel is also situated in one of the most bohemian areas in the city. The Emily Carr Art College sits just a couple of dozen steps away. Art studios for painters, glass blowers, sculptors, textile artists and others abound on the Island. Good restaurants, theatres and interesting shops are also right nearby. The Granville Island Market sits just down the street and is a delight for the senses. The Granville Island Hotel is right in the heart of the city but right on the water. Water taxis can take you to Yaletown, Hornby Street and other great areas to explore. This hotel could not be situated in a better spot.
In total, Granville Island Hotel is a delight. My wife and I are very grateful to the staff and management for our wonderful stay with them. We don’t know why we stayed away so long but we will be back very, very soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple