“Love the Barclay House!”

and 1 more site!
Barclay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Belgium
Reviewed 13 November 2005

We had a wonderful time at the gorgeous Barclay House.
The hospitality from Patrik and his team made us feel right at home. When we left for a couple days to explore Vancouver island or Whistler, we'd be welcomed back with a personalised 'welcome back' card and 2 glasses of port or cherry. Every day there'd be fresh cookies on our bed.
Patrik always made time for interesting conversations and was helpful in anyway he could.
We've stayed in several rooms of the house (since we kept booking extra days) and were mesmerised by the beauty and different atmosphere of every room.
The breakfast was an absolute delight with it's warm home baked buns, fresh juice, fruits and delicious breakfast meals. The service was elegant and friendly and we met several interesting people from different countries and cultures. We'd recommend this B&B anytime. There is no better location, you can walk every where and still reside in the calm area of the West End, which is between the park and Downtown and where the Barclay House is located on a beautiful lane with big old trees.
Thanks Patrik,
The Belgians

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 10 November 2005

My husband and I stayed in the Barclay House for 6 days and nights in October (2005). This was our first visit to Vancouver and the weather was overcast most days. Maybe that's why the previous reviewer (I believe his stay may have overlapped ours) was so grouchy!

We had a fabulous experience! Unfortunately, Patrik was ill for much of the time we visited, but Venta (hardly a college student), a lovely 30-ish young women studying to be an actress, was in charge for much of our stay. She couldn't have been more helpful. The breakfasts were terrific and served with a flair. The aroma of baking was ever present and every day we found freshly baked cookies in our room, in addition to the fresh baked goods available all day long in the dining room, and complimentary sherry each afternoon or evening.

In addition, we were provided with free parking, and free Internet (which would have been an additional $30+/night at one of the nearby hotels). Venta helped us plan a trip to Vancouver Island, including making our ferry reservations; gave us tips on restaurants and local tours, and was available to answer questions on a regular basis. We had no idea that the ferries required reservations, and without Venta's help, we may have missed a lovely visit to Victoria.

We arrived at Barclay House late the first evening, and found a note from Patrik asking us to give him a call no matter how late we arrived. After our long and tiring flight from North Carolina, that note was very welcome! We called and Patrik couldn't have been more welcoming, or helpful.

Our room (bedroom and sitting room) was lovely. Of course, the house is an old historic house which was part of its charm, so we find the review which mentions creaky floors to be highly amusing! If you want a hotel experience, then go to a hotel. A B&B offers something much different and our stay at the Barclay House was a lovely experience. We congratulated ourselves every day we were in Vancouver that we were so lucky in discovering it!

So, we say, keep up the good work Patrik, and ignore the occasional naysayer!! No one can please all of the people all of the time!

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 September 2005

We stayed at the Barclay House for 4 nights during a tour of Alberta and British Columbia. Although late in arrival our host Patrik met us and settled us into our garden suite-a lovely room with a four poster bed, lounge, bathroom, fridge and coffee making machine. We were not pestered or intruded on but had his contact number should we have needed it at any time. The cookies in the room everyday were scrumptious and the breakfasts were lovely, freshly made with juices, coffee, fresh fruit, hot breads and a variety of cooked courses each day. The other members of his team were helpful with directions and information and after the impersonality of some larger hotels it was a refreshing change. The house was furnished with some lovely antiques and the sherry for pre dinner was a nice touch. We would have no hesitation in recommending the Barclay and the situation for seeing Vancouver was ideal.

8  Thank hotdogl37
Potomac, MD
Reviewed 26 September 2005

My wife and I spent two nights at the Barclay House B&B in the West End and found it to be a great place to stay. The location is well-situated and within walking distance of most things. Granville Island is a bit of a hike, but even that wasn't too far to walk to catch the water taxi across. Stanley Park is just down the hill.

Were we to return to Vancouver, we would gladly stay at the Barclay House again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2005

We love to stay at bed and breakfasts whenever we travel so when we decided to visit Vancouver, we saw high marks here for this B & B and decided to book for two nights. Overall, our stay was average. Our room was fine and clean. The location was perfect to the main shopping area and a great walk to Stanley Park. However, breakfast was a disappointment as we really did not get the "breakfast" part of the our experience as the selection seemed like it had been prepared a few days in advance and heated in the microwave. I am not sure who owns this place but the people attending to us seemed like college students working there part time. They were nice and professional but there was no sense of true hospitality or warmness that we had experienced in other B & B's. Overall, an average stay but would consider another place while in Vancouver.

• Stayed: February 2005
7  Thank Lisa L
Management response:Responded 20 September 2005

Wow! Yikes! This is the first time I've responded to a user review on Tripadvisor and it's hard to know where to start. I'm responding so that you all know I care about the work we do here. It's not life or death stuff... but we take great pride in this home, our city and work very hard to help you make the most of your stay with us. Some information:

When you stay at Barclay House, you are staying in my home! I had to respond to this review (grin) because to not "know who the owner is' seems highly odd to me." I'm under 40- place great value in humour, and have been called immature on occasion, but I think it would be wishful thinking to think I could be confused with a college student.

Barclay House is is in it's 7th season, I love this lifestyle - I truly enjoy my guests. I don't think we've ever had a better product and there has never been a year in which I have devoted more personal time and energy toward my guests.... yet, there are reviews like this one. It was really disappointing and there's nothing I regret more than having an unhappy guest in my home. I'd like to help provide you with an idea of what you can expect from your stay with us!

Here's what I promise to you: When you stay with us, you are an honoured guest in my home. I make a point of making a personal connection with my guests and take a personal interest in your stay. I do take days off, however, so this may not be possible for shorter stays- especially during our peak season!

I can count on one hand the days I have taken off this summer! My staff do their best to be Innkeepers in my absence and they are all lovely people and their intentions are genuine. My staff and I really enjoy providing you with candid information based on our experience as locals and those of our guests.

Our location can not be beaten... If you place value in staying in a character home, ours will not disappoint. You will get a set hot breakfast - at set times - three courses... prepared from scratch. No microwaves.

Our time is limited due to the scale of this operation and the prices we charge. We can not be visible in the house 24/7, but we are available 24/7 by cell phone- a free call from your room. We post the number everywhere and on the first page of your concierge folder. If you need us, and I am not fixing something, prepping breakfast, or answering reservations... in an obvious location: call! I will be delighted to help!

You'll get the chance to meet some really beautiful fellow travellers at the breakfast table. The energy you put into developing converstaions and relationships with other guests often is returned ten fold. Polite, gracious, and respectful behaviour is met with overwhelming attention!

You can also expect some terrific amenities... large inviting common areas and few to no rules. As most of the furniture, art, dishes, amenities etc are personal belongings and family heirlooms (which I am delighted to share) I ask only that you take care of what is offered so that it is available for future guests and family.

I know we can't please all of the people all of the time... It seems that 9 out of 10 of our guests are hyper-sensitive to the fact that my staff and I put our hearts and souls into what we do... and that, for the largest part is our reward...

Careful what you write... make sure it's truly accurate... Bed and Breakfasts are so diverse, it's remarkable to read about people making comparisons... each has it's own mix and most are labours of love... For more information about B&B's do an internet search using the terms 'bed and breafkast etiquette' or 'bed and breakfast expectations'... you'll be amazed. I was!

Join us in Vancouver for an authentic experience in one of Vancouver's few remaining 'first homes'! We look forward to your visit!

-Patrik

Reviewed 15 September 2005

We stayed 7 nights in the East Suite in Barclay House in September 2005.

The B&B is in an excellent location for Robson and Davie street where you will find a massive choice of restaurants and shops, and is particularly good if you like Starbucks, as there is one on every street corner – and on both sides of the road!!!

Unfortunately, we did not choose the best room in the house, and this one had a good view of a wall which made the room very dark. You could also see directly into the student accommodation next door, which comes as a bit of a shock if you are not used to living in a busy city – which we aren't. The other guests that we spoke to seemed to be extremely happy with their rooms so I guess we were just unlucky. I think the Hideaway, Penthouse and Garden Suite were the most popular.

Having said that, we found our host Patrik and his staff to be very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed our conversations with Patrik and the many guests which came and went during our stay. Our breakfasts were delicious – fruit and muffin’s to start followed by home cooked breakfast which was always different every day. The house was also kept spotlessly clean as was our room.

We would highly recommend Barclay House for a stay in Vancouver.

5  Thank PopMart
Reviewed 28 August 2005

We stayed here for our first visit to Vancouver and were very pleased with the Garden Suite. Spacious, clean and very comfortable. We were made welcome and enjoyed chatting with other guests over breakfast. The location is superb - close to Robson Street for shopping and dining and to Stanley Park for leisure. Make sure to hire bikes to cycle round the coastal path. We would recommend Barclay House for your stay in Vancouver.

D & M, UK.