“Loved Barclay House”

and 1 more site!
Barclay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2007

Arrived at Barclay House after 18 houses of flying from Sydney to Vancouver, with 2 tied teenagers. JJ and his staff made us feel welcome with hot cookies and champayne. The accommodation is stylish, clean and cosy and in a fabulous location
close to great restaurants and shopping. Would highly recommend Barlay house to any traveller to Vancouver.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mimiaussie

Reviewed 13 February 2007

We loved our stay at Vancouver's Barclay House. After a long flight, JJ greated us with cocktails in the living room. JJ and his staff were very friendly and welcoming and yet not intrusive.
The interior decorating of this B&B is outstanding. Modern yet classic yet comfortable! Each room has been decorated (JJ showed us around) with it's own theme and I truly couldn't decide which was my favorite. We've stayed at B&B's before that were overcluttered with dusty antiques and knick-knacks....not the case with Barclay House. In addition to the tastefull interior design and decorations, the B&B was also clean. We stayed in the Peak room and had a peacefull sleep. The location is excellent and we walked to our restaurant for dinner. Robson street is also within walking distance. Breakfast was delicious and generous in size.
We highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Vancouver!

Stayed: January 2007
5  Thank JaneThunderBay
Reviewed 11 February 2007

Hello
I thought I would drop a few lines and tell you how happy I am to see the Barclay House in good hands. We stayed at the B&B twice when Pat and Bruce owned it. All I can say is the 1st time it was perfect new paint and everyone so nice and helpful alas the second time I thought OH MY GOD what has happened to this beautiful home. We said NEVER again and sense then I have been keeping a eye on your progress with the home from Pat taking off with other quests money and leaving them on the door step to a locked and empty B&B.... to your renovation and all that you have done. Let me say I am proud of you two and for what it is worth........
You have my promise the next time we are in Vancouver BC
we will stay at the Barclay again. I can see that some truly special people found their fate...... You have a treasure in your pockets she is a very special home, love her and may her doors always be open..... Thanks so much Tom Pinkston and Jerry Jackson
San Lorenzo CA "thomboey"

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank thomboey
Reviewed 6 February 2007

We stayed three nights at the Barclay in Jan 2007. Although the outside temperature never got even as high as freezing, the Barclay was a wonderful refuge from our daily excursions about beautiful Vancouver.

We were greeted with champagne and cookies and settled quickly into the very comfortable Mountain Room, but found it a little to small and surprisingly overheated. I made an off-hand comment the next morning asking if there was a way we could control the room heating, and the manager offered up the Beach Room (more like a suite!) at no extra charge, and the remainder of our stay was perfect.

The Barclay is easy walking to many attractions including the waterfront where you can take a small people-ferry to other districts of interest.

Our hostess could not have been nicer and the included hot breakfast was extraordinary.

3  Thank mackmurr
Reviewed 4 February 2007

Ann & I stayed at the Barclay House for 4 nights at the end of Sept 06. Our welcome from JJ after a long flight from the UK was perfect.
JJ & his sister went out of there way to offer tips re trips,places to eat etc. The daily brreakfast was a lipsmacking delight from start to finish.
JJ..we WILL be back!
Thanks
Damian & Ann
Portsmouth
UK

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SG2S
Reviewed 24 January 2007

Not the typical haunted and dusty B&B experience that drove me to seek out boutique hotels. Instead, the Barclay House Bed and Breakfast offered a fresh breath of air nestled appropriately in the midst of the famous ocean side community of the West-End, Vancouver.

The attention to detail, finely crafted by a dynamic brother and sister team, Rebecca and JJ, is what set The Barclay House apart from and above the rest. As a first time guest at the Barclay House, I found myself walking through the front door of a truly unique and special Vancouver Gem.

Rebecca, a gracious visionary, blended the décor with the modern charm / casual elegance which welcomed me as I walked into the open main lounge / breakfast room. Of course, the spotted cow settee complete with bull horns lent me to project that there was a playful undertone at the heart of this house..

Enter - JJ, charismatic and genuine to the core (a ‘born and raised’ Vancouverite and your ultimate resource for boarding/skiing), greeted me with a smile and choice of Champagne with Orange Juice or Wine. I went for the ‘Mimosa’… vitamin C is good for you, yes?

The room was fabulous. The Peak Room had a secret view of English Bay from the bed (in the winter months) and I found myself the next morning curled up in the down duvet battling myself between this exquisite comfort and the hunger that finally lead me downstairs for breakfast.

Breakfast was definitely not the typical ‘continental’… Mette, a vibrant and worldly young woman from Denmark, served first a fantastic fresh fruit dish (pineapple with fresh mint leaves) then followed with a fresh, hot cinnamon bun.

The omelet that completed the meal crafted by in house chef, Art (born and trained in Newfoundland!) left me feeling like I had just been to one of the hidden culinary delights nestled in the walking, shopping beach culture of the West-End. I attempted to wrangle cooking lessons out of him, but was distracted by… a Mimosa.

Jonas, a man of few words but a presence that is never without the warmth of a smile, rounds out the seamless workings of the Barclay House - homemade cookies appearing on my bed in the late afternoon paired in a basket with fabulous literary quotes to cozy up to the fireplace with before walking out to local Robson or Davie Street dinner and drinks.

Complete with wireless internet, I found myself researching in my attic room (a working holiday), the main floor living room and even wrapped in fleece on the front porch with my laptop. Typically found in the local coffee houses, I never made it past the front porch.

…and when I realized that I had left my cell phone charger at home? JJ had added it to his list and was out the door enroute before I could ask him where I might find one.

Something special… that’s The Barclay House.

Thank you to everyone at The Barclay,
Shawna.

Stayed: January 2007
7  Thank oneladygurl
Reviewed 2 January 2007

The Barclay House in the West End of Vancouver was a GREAT GREAT place for my wife and I to stay at during part of our honeymoon. The staff was warm and friendly and very helpful with finding restaurants and city information for tours etc..... Its located in the perfect part of town near all the shopping and great restaurants!! My wife and I can't wait to go back again. The staff again was GREAT and the breakfasts serve was great too. A+++++ Service. JJ & His staff do an excellent job and making guests feels right at home. The house was decorated with pumpkins and cobwebs outside (we stayed during the week of halloween). Even though the rooms are a little expensive, its absolutely worth it with the accomodations and service you get your moneys worth out of it. Its also nice when you come back to you room and there are fresh baked cookies waiting for you!!! With all that said I hope you decide to stay at the Barclay House, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2006