“Perfect (full) house and stay for my family during our wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hycroft Suites

Hycroft Suites
Vancouver, Canada
“Perfect (full) house and stay for my family during our wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

From the moment I found the Hycroft Suites, I knew this was the place for my family to stay! With family members coming from all across the country, I knew they needed a nice neighbourhood, but still accessible to everything. Hotels were not helping much and then a finally found the Hycroft Suites. What a perfect place it was.

Staying for 5 days and having the fully stocked kitchen with all the dinnerware and utensils needed along with the top two units having a washer and dryer.

Pam and Randy were so helpful from the moment I explained to them that my husband and I were getting married in BC with no family here, I needed to have this place to keep them all together. The great thing about this place, which Randy shared with me as well is that by booking the full house, the family members were able to mix and mingle with each other but at the same time they were able to have their own privacy of their own suites.

Lastly, every single one of my family members raved about the beautiful interior, luxury beds to sleep on and high quality towels and bathroom products. They really felt like this was their home away from home with the comfortable luxury they had while on vacation for our wedding!

A thank-you to Shandy-Rae (inn- keeper) who was also very accomodating with one of my cousins having a 2 year old and she was able to make the request to have a pack and play crib available in one of the master bedrooms.

All in all, the stress of the wedding was a lot, however finding this place for my family was a real dream. Thank-you Randy, Pam and Shandy-Rae. My family is so thankful as much as we are! Perhaps they will come back in the future when we have little ones and stay at the Hycroft!

Cheers!
Amber

Room Tip: The Paris and the Rome suite are true gems! :)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Amberbranny

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I booked the Madrid suite in January this year for a 4 night stay in July. I received e mail confirmation and paid my 50% deposit. However, less than 2 weeks prior to our departing for Canada, and after I had paid the full $920, I received an e mail from the owner informing us that the suite was not available on the first night I had booked. It took him 5 months to tell me this. He eventually offered us a room in Granville House for the three of us, my husband myself and adult daughter. This room turned out to be the smallest bedroom they had and was "cosy" to say the least and my daughter understandably was not too happy about the situation having to share with her parents, but we had little choice as it was too late to find alternative accommodation. The owner did say that he was giving us this night free but on checking my paperwork we should have been given 4 nights for the price of 3, however we paid over $900 and the suite is $200 per night plus taxes, so in effect we were owed one night.

On the website this suite looks amazing but the photos do not show the hidden faults. When entering the suite and stepping through the door the first thing we noticed was the dirty floor mat. Not a good start! The bedroom is very small and there was only a gap of 5/6 inches between the bed and the wall so not much room there. The duvet on the bed did not look as though it had been washed from the previous letting and looked well worn and in need of replacement. There are no rugs on the bedroom floor so cold when you get up in the morning. The wall light in the bedroom was also not working. On opening a drawer beside the bed there was also an empty packet of condoms so obviously had not been checked by their housekeeper. The microwave in the kitchen was dirty and I had to clean that before I could use it.

In the lounge itself the sofa bed and rug were dirty and in need of a good clean. The sofa bed was also very uncomfortable. The blinds in this room were very flimsy and see through which meant they kept no light out and woke my daughter up very early in the morning. There was also exposed pipework in the lounge, but a very pretty sight! There was also a broken window pane in this room. I have photos of all these faults in anyone wishes to see. Also because this is a basement suite it was very noisy as you could hear people walking about upstairs and children running around.

To add insult to injury, we were told by Sandy, the Innkeeper, that we could have complimentary breakfast at Granville House, which is owned by the same people, for the 3 days we were staying at the Hycroft Suites. However she then phoned us to say that unfortunately this offer was withdrawn as there "wouldn't be room for us as they were full up". That was the "icing on the cake". During all our stay we did not see the owner or his wife. I think they were too embarrased at having to face us due to the situation they had put us in. We have a good idea why we were notified as such short notice that the room was not available on July 1st, Canada Day, but of course have no proof so cannot speculate.

Would definitely not recommend this suite to anyone as it is in dire need of a good clean and update. It is the worst accommodation I have ever had to stay in.

Room Tip: Definitely do not choose the basement suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank MaggieAnn187064
HycroftSuites, Owner at Hycroft Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Wow, this one stings! Truth is, we did have an over booking for your first night. In our 13 years in business, we never had an over booking until we integrated with Booking dot com earlier this year, where a glitch in THEIR system affected about 4 of our guests. My wife & I were mortified by these issues, and did our best to correct the situation. Your deal was to be refunded the first night, be given a free night in our Granville House B&B Birch Suite and cover all your transfers, which you accepted. Breakfast was included at the B&B, but was never offered at Hycroft (which has full kitchen facilities). Although I find your comments about Value, Sleep Quality and Cleanliness a little suspect, we have had a talk to our staff to ensure stories like this are not repeated. We were not embarrassed to meet you, just away with our family during this national Canada Day holiday. It is worth noting that hotels & airlines expect over booking, often with little more than an apology. Our apologies again for the inconvenience this booking caused you & your family.
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We've rented vacation homes all over the world and Hycroft Suites was probably the most thoughfully appointed home we've stayed in. Lovely, restored two story suite that easily accomodated our 9 family members, from teens to 88 year old Grandpa. Everything from spotless white linens (and lots of towels!), the good quality bath and beauty items provided (full size bottles - not little skimpy ones!), the great quality cookware and cutlery and even a washer/dryer. We loved walking around the neighborhood and indulged ourselves at the deli/bakery on the corner - EXcellent food. The view of the downtown skyline with the mountains behind from the front of the suite was great and the deck and comfy outdoor furniture were a nice touch for those staying in the back bedroom. The fireplace was cozy for a rainy afternoon/evening and the thoughtful "tear sheet" pad of a full map of the area made sure that we didn't get lost. Hycroft Suites is one more reason to come back to this wonderful city!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

We had actually booked for the sister b&b, but when we arrived the owner suggested we swap to the suites they also owned. This was a good call - the suites are very family friendly with room for the children to run around inside and a grass area outside. Local amenities are great - a playground, great deli with restaurant, food shops and restaurants.

There was a single bed, double bed and a fold-out double bed, plenty of linen and towels, and a fully fitted kitchen area with dishwasher. There was a small dining table that was great for feeding the children.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again with the children - it had a family feel more than a plush hotel, but this worked great for us.

Stayed April 2012
Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

We decided to try a different B&B in our recent stay in vancouver. The suite is beautiful ,

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

We were in Seattle for business and a large group of us decided to visit Vancouver for the weekend, so we rented out all four of the Hycroft suites. The upstairs suites are far superior to the basement suites. I wouldn't rent the basement suite by itself - it doesn't have nearly the upgrades or amenities as the upstairs, but the two large suites were fantastic. Spacious, updated, beautiful kitchens and a great location.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I found this place by online searching and booked the Madrid Suite for a weekend stay. The suite is well-equipped and comfortable, but an incident that was manufactured by the host, Randy, completely ruined our stay. We arrived on Friday and we were to leave on Sunday. Upon our return from our day activities on Saturday, we discovered that we are locked out of the suite. The host Randy has obnoxiously placed paperwork on the table outside the door with a rude note demanding in it that we sign the paperwork before we are given a new entry code to the suite. He already has my credit card number and in most of our stays at bed and breakfasts in Vancouver, we would sign paperwork before we leave. His tone on the phone was very rude and he at one moment dictated that we had to sign the paperwork immediately and hand it back to him, before we are given the new code. He sounded very paranoid and non-trusting.

In my opinion, he took this too far. This kind of behaviour contradicts the minimum level of hospitality that is needed to be a good host. It turns out he has my cellphone number. He could have called me on my cellphone and kindly asked us to sign the paperwork he needed. But this is what a friendly and considerate host would have done and this is clearly what the host Randy is not.

We travel a lot to Vancouver and we stay at many beds and breakfasts and hotels and this is by far one of the worst experiences we have had so far. This is enough for me to never consider staying at Hycroft Suites or at their sister bed and breakfast facility that is administered by the same management. And I would not recommend the place to friends and family.

Other minor issues that are not important were that someone was parked in our dedicated parking spot on Saturday night and that forced us to look for alternative parking on the street. The fireplace did not work, and the conditioner dispenser in the bathroom did not work well. Also, there is no oven or stove in the kitchen area of the suite.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SateWpg
GranvilleBB, Owner at Hycroft Suites, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear SateWpg.
First, let me thank you for your review. I appreciate your time, as do potential bookings looking for previous guest experience with our small owner-managed accommodations. We also appreciate that you rate our location 4/5 and rooms 4/5 while focusing your review on Service for 1/5. This gives credibility to your review.

Your negative review come from not following our Check-In policy. This policy states "Check-In Receipts will be left in your room. Please sign and return our copy to front mailbox on arrival date". This policy is shown 1) on our website (see Policies), 2) on your confirmation letter (sent immediately after an online booking), 3) when we email your time-sensitive door codes (we give you immediate access to your suite, with no pre-arranged check in time), 4) on your Check-In Receipt left in your kitchen on arrival, 5) Saturday afternoon with note highlighting "door codes maybe changed if signatures not received", & 6) Saturday evening on Check-in Receipt left outside your door with pen, phone and my business card. In the 10 years since restoring this property, you are the first (non-fraudulent) guest whose door code was changed from refusing to sign our Check-In Receipt. Please note that we do not call this a Check-Out Receipt;-)

During your stay, I picked up all other signed Check-In Receipts the evening you checked in. I called your suite at 10am the next morning and left you a voicemail on your free dedicated phone line. 2 hours later I left you a note highlighting the Check-In Receipt area that indicates "door codes maybe changed if signatures not received". When I did not have your signatures the evening before your departure, I cancelled your door code and left your Check-In Receipt with note, pen, business card and telephone outside your door, asking you to call me.

You called me at 10pm and I immediately gave you your new door code. I was professional & courteous. This procedure slowed you down by 60 seconds, with no trip to the "office or front desk". I even provided you with a free phone. I also gave you the opportunity to let me know if you were unhappy with your stay as I was concerned you may have a reason for not signing. Your response was that you intended to sign before departing.

When you told me someone was parked in your free dedicated parking spot, I immediately phoned the guest with that registered vehicle and asked them to re park. 10 minutes later, I confirmed with you directly this was done, along with my apology.

As members of the BC B&B Guild, Professional Association of Innkeepers, Tourism BC & Tourism Vancouver, we are strongly encouraged to receive all signatures at check in. Credit card companies require customer signatures for all credit card charges such as yours. Without this, a challenge by the cardholder would result in an automatic reversal of charges. A refusal to sign is typically a red flag for such a challenge, most often from a fraudulent or stolen credit card.

You mentioned to me hotels take your signature only at check out. I contend that all hotels would also collect your signature before issuing you a room key. Hycroft Suites avoids both these line ups and delays.

At Hycroft Suites we email you time-sensitive access codes after your secure on-line booking, well in advance of your arrival. We also allow you to check-in at your leisure, without the inconvenience of meeting at a pre-set time. Since your stay is pre-paid, you can leave anytime you like; we only ask that you close the door behind you. I would consider this far more flexible than any hotel, motel, B&B or self-catered suite. We only ask you "sign and return (Check-In Receipt) to front mailbox on arrival date". Randy