“Function over fashion...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Shaughnessy Village
Ranked #79 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My mom and I have stayed here a number of times and it's ideal for us. Not fancy for sure, not modern in any way but functional and the location is perfect. This time we were put in one of the newly renovated rooms. Still small and rather barren of decoration but reasonably clean and adequate for our needs. For the price I can't complain.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 May 2012

When we arrived at Shaughnessy Village at 11 p.m. on a Sunday night for our reserved room (reserved three months in advance), it took nearly one-half hour for us to check in. There was no line, but the clerk in the office clearly did not know what he was doing, and the non-computerized reservation "system" they used should have given us a clue what we were in for.
While waiting for our room, we noticed a sign which "your room is like that on a luxury cruise ship". That gave me a hint that the room would be small, but I didn't realize what "small" would be until we finally were assigned our room.

Well, I'm 6'4" (1.93 m) tall, and for 3 nights I lived by crawling over my wife in bed just to get out of bed, having to close a door before being able to open another, just to get in the bathroom, and generally hardly having any room to move in our own room. The room was generally clean, though there was clear evedence that dusting is perfunctory (behind TV was filthy, for example).
I will say that everything functioned well, and we had a nice view from our balcony of downtown Vancouver. To access the balcony, however, I had to crawl off of the foot of the bed to reach the sliders! The bed was a pull-out from a daybed arrangement (not like any "luxury cruise" I've been on!).

We were tourists, but I think the location was fine. It was a short, pleasant 15-minute walk to the City Hall SkyTrain station, which brought you into downtown Vancouver in 10 minutes or so. And the day we left Vancouver, we spent some time at Queen Elizabeth Park, which was only a few minutes from the hotel.

Oh yes, the breakfast. The restaurant in the basement of the hotel provided a "free" basic (and we do mean basic) breakfast. But you had to pay for coffee and (are you ready for this?) by the packet of sugars you used. Perhaps I'm quibbling---the spoon to stir the coffee was free! The breakfast area was clean and pleasant, and the young lady who waited on us was pleasant and aimed to please, though she spoke little English. Perhaps we should have taken the hint when we realized we were the only people in the dining area at 9:00 a.m. each morning.

In short, go somewhere else to rest your head while staying in Vancouver.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This was my worst experience ever. We were 4 friends renting a room for several days but we barely had room to move. The pull-out couch was so unconfortable and in general the place was extremely dirty. The also advertise for free breakfast but its only a toast and coffee is not even included.... Finally, our luggage got stolen on our last day in the locked luggage room (after we check out from the room) and the hotel did not do anything to compensate even though it was totally their responsabilities. So I really recommend you not going there to try to save a few dollars. Totally not worth it. I will never ever return back there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Me1_12
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This hotel is filthy dirty and infested with bed bugs. Travelled there with a client and came home covered in welts and bites. I had to go to a clinic to also get checked for lice. Infested and needs to be reported to the health board. I would never recommend staying here even if you are on a budget... the streets are cleaner!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank julie l
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I have stayed in many places in vancouver area,low budjet,medium ....This place is by far the best.very friendly front desk,nice breakfast included,sauna,jacuzi,inside outside pool,pool table,free internet at lobby,hifi...and best of all the price,thanks again

Room Tip: i left it to the front desk,they gave me 11th floor,i think it was north side,very happy
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank vaus
Reviewed 10 November 2011

my brother had to stay here because of the closeness of the Cancer Clinic. If I had another choice that wasn't going to cost 4 or 5 times what was paid here I would have moved him in a heart beat. Not only was his room infested with bed bugs but the staff didn't want to help him with the expense of his laundry nor did they help him move all his stuff. I can't even say all the nasty comments etc. that the front desk staff made.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank GrannySharon
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Unless you are really picky and need a high end place to stay, this place is GREAT!! :)

I was there for a month, and if you are just there to sleep, wake-up, eat a free breakfast, then this place is perfect. I was there during hot weather and the pool was perfect to cool off in.

Keep in mind nothing is spectacular, but everything is practical! I even used the gym which was a hilarious gathering of what looked like collections from garage sales; but again it was practical. They even have a mini putt on the property, a nice private courtyard, and balconies in every room.

It's totally fine and extremely practical if you are in Vancouver for work, and don't plan on hanging in your room all day.

It's located in a great neighborhood and very close to downtown Vancouver and Granville Island. I recommend to anyone who doesnt need frills and just needs a place to sleep!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business