“Great Hotel, good location, clean and quiet”

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 6 July 2011

The hotel is located downtown, close to dining. Parking is a bit high at $25 per night. Room was spacious, clean and quiet. Front desk staff was very helpful. This is a very good choice in vancouver.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 20 July 2011

Thank you for your great comments on our location, guest rooms and helpful staff.

With respect to our parking fees, we feel that they are quite reasonable compared to our competitors who are also located in the downtown area of Vancouver. Our parking rate is $19.00 and after applying the taxes of 35.52% (Vancouver Translink tax and the Harmonized Sales Tax) brings it to a total of $25.75.

Once again, we value your opinion and we look forward to seeing you again!

Lisa Jackson, General Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2011

Not your typical Hampton Inn and Suites. Much more upscale and yet so modest. Right in the heart of a vibrant and energetic city with much flair and no pretensions. The staff at the front desk were courteous, professional, knowledgable and very helpful. The suite was perfect for a family- lots of room, separate bedrooms and full kitchen with real cutlery and crockery. The location could'nt be better. Want to recommend this place so badly! Oh and btw check out the fantastic hot tub- very modern design- on the top floor with stunning views of the city and BC Place. You can pretty much leave your car in the garage and just walk, bus or hop the train to see the sights and delights of this great city.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite with the sofa bed- very good mattress btw in it as well as the real bed.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jss6270
Reviewed 4 July 2011

First time I've stayed here; I have booked family into this property before and never got any complaints so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Vancouver is famous for its void of any really great hotels so rather than be disappointed after spending $400-700 at a hotel that just doesn't get it, I'd be loyal to Hilton and save some money. Turns out the hotel was actually pretty good. Free-Wifi: big check. Can't stand hotels that nickel and dime you for wifi. nice corner room with wall to wall windows that look out onto...renovations on a stadium. Kind of cool looking, actually but if you're into looking at the gorgeous vancouver mountains this isn't the place.

The service, though, is really good at this hotel. First, they upgraded me from the standard two queen room that I booked online to a better one king deluxe room. It also included a free breakfast that I must say was fairly decent if you like healthy breakfasts; cereals, fruit, good coffee. Apparently they can make you an omelette if you want. Anyway, the breakfast was free so for the money it was a thumbs up.

I extended my stay another two nights and they upgraded me again at no charge and moved some other reservations around so I could keep the same room. Very courteous, very friendly people at the front desk every time I dealt with them. There's a good size fridge in the room - nice and cold for beer, and also a small microwave. There's no room service, however; I had to call a pizza delivery service but I was in the mood for pizza so it worked out okay.

The best part of the room, though, is absolutely the jacuzzi tub. These guys really did a nice job with the tub in the bathroom. It is really a nice size and fits two really comfortably. The tub fills up very quickly and the water is deep. The jets have two speeds. The tub was exactly what I needed after 17 hours of flying.

The location of the hotel is pretty ideal. Yaletown is a 5 minute walk; gastown is a 10 minute walk, and Robson Street shopping is 5 minutes away, also.

The fitness facility on the top floor is quite interesting. They have both a ping pong and foosball table which was a nice surprise. They also have a decent hot tub. no pool, though.

The only negative thing I would submit is that the parking seems very expensive: $25/night for secured underground self-parking; you can come and go as you please which is a plus, though.

Room Tip: good corner rooms end in a '10'
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2011

This hotel was a nice surprise. We saw a lot of reviews for other Vancouver hotels that talked about small rooms - not here. We had a 1 br suite and it was really nice and roomy.

The staff was excellent and very helpful, especially one person (I wish I got her name!)

The sink had trouble getting hot water or pressure, which was strange because the shower didn't seem to have an issue. Bed comfort, fridge, heat all worked as hoped. Breakfast seemed to be a notch higher than expected - and they didn't have a problem with me stopping in a little early!

The area was wonderful - we had a view of the stadium (right across the street) and could walk to 1000 restaurants that seemed to be open early to late. Easy walking to shopping, longer walk to the aquarium & convention center. The walk was good - past coffee shops & stores.

The only negative was the expensive parking - $25/day & tough to find a space unless you have a tiny car. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend it!

Room Tip: High floor - beautiful views!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank professorroyhinkley
Management response:Responded 20 July 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a wonderful review of our property. I apologize that our parking fees and taxes were not properly conveyed to you upon your arrival.

Parking at the hotel is $19.00 per night and is subject to two taxes. Translink, the local transportation agency applies a 21% tax to all commercial parking spaces in Vancouver. Secondly, the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 12% is then applied. The total percentage of taxes collect is 35.52% bringing our initial parking charge of $19.00 to $25.75.

We appreciate your comments and allowing us to improve on how we communicate these charges.

Lisa Jackson, General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Most helpful pleasant staff. Excellent Value for money. Very convenient location. Most strongly recommended

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Selbourn
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in May. The rooms were large with 2 double beds..always seems a waste to me but I guess its whatever is available sometimes.
It overlooks the BC Stadium and I watched workers fixing the roof there.
Everything is pretty handy and you can walk a few blocks to many bars and restaurants.
The area where breakfast is served is very small and the only thing I would say is that it could do with being bigger and maybe lose the paper plates.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and from a business point of view it was perfectly fine. Sort the breakfast area and this may get you a few more brownie points.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Try the Chop House restaurant across from the hotel along with Frank's Italian restaurant next door. Both offer excellent cuisine and a pleasant atmosphere

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends