“Nice, but very chaotic.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Key West, Florida
“Nice, but very chaotic.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night prior to a cruise and found the lobby and breakfast area to be very chaotic and congested. It didn't help this hotel has terribly slow elevators that are always packed. The inability to use stairs to get down to the ground floor lobby was a little odd.

But that said, the hotel was nice, breakfast was good, and the location was great.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cruzaholic
Aliya B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and for choosing us prior to your cruise! I do hope you made use of our complimentary shuttle bus service, which takes our guests right to the cruise port, hassle free! I believe our guests were waiting for their shuttle pick up in the lobby, and can understand how it can get busy during peak shuttle hours.

The stairwells are locked due to the safety and security of our guests; however, all stairwells do lead to the ground lobby or breezeway. Although we are working on faster elevator speeds, the stairwell is always an option to get to the lobby. I apologize we did not make this more apparent during your stay and will be sure to make this more clear for guests in the future.

Paul S, thanks again for sharing your experiences of our hotel and for highlighting our breakfast and location!

Warm regards,

Aliya Bhatia
604-605-1455

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I’ve stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns (probably 30 or so different ones), both for work and for leisure, but this was the best of all the ones I’ve stayed at. My trip here was in July 2014, for leisure, for seven nights. I was traveling by myself.

Pros:

- Good location near BC Place, within walking distance of three subway stops. Restaurants everywhere within walking distance, in all price ranges.

- Very quiet. I had a room facing BC Place, and even one night when there was a Whitecaps game, I didn’t hear that much street noise - the soundproofing was pretty good. If people are talking loudly in the halls, you’ll hear that, though. Mostly they weren’t - there are only a few rooms per floor and the halls aren’t really a place to hang out. I was on a low floor so I didn’t hear the noise from the fitness/game room area that others have mentioned.

- Breakfast. Typical of the Hampton chain. It was mostly kept well-stocked. I went very early every morning and it usually wasn’t too crowded between 6 and 6.30 AM. (It was often jammed later.)

- Newspapers! One delivered outside my room every morning, and then at the front desk there were usually four or five more that you could pick up for free, including two US papers (Seattle Times and USA Today). I’m a newspaper junkie so this was paradise.

- Amenities in general. This Hampton provides a lot more than most do for their customers. Two bottles of water were provided every day at no charge. A piece of chocolate was there the first night. There is always fruit in the lobby and on the 16th floor. There was a nice rooftop area with tables and chairs, great for a little picnic or snack. Unlike most Hamptons, the fitness room was large and well-equipped, and included a sauna and game-room area with a foosball table, etc. There was always flavored water in urns in the lobby (lemon, for example), and usually juice such as cranberry or orange as well. A complimentary shuttle bus will take you around the central city. They provide bikes for free (Vancouver is a very cycling-oriented city.) There are two computers for use next to the breakfast area - ask the front-desk staff for the computer code, which gives you 30 free minutes on the computers. And did I mention the newspapers?!?

- Room. Even though I had one of the smaller rooms, it was quite large. My room had both a microwave and fairly large mini-fridge. Other amenities/furnishings in the room were typical of the Hampton chain.

- Staff. Everyone I dealt with was professional, competent, and friendly. The front desk efficiently arranged a day trip to Victoria for me. The woman assigned to my room, Pari, kept it absolutely spotless. Everyone smiled and acted like they were happy to be serving their customers. This team of Hampton employees should go give lessons to service personnel everywhere.

Cons/other factors:

- If you want to be really close to a subway station, the Hampton isn’t it - the closest two were each about a ten-minute walk away (Yaletown/Roundhouse and Chinatown), so if you have tons of luggage or have issues walking, the Canada Line from the airport may not work well for you. Also, the downtown area is fairly spread out, and the subway system doesn’t really serve it too well, so you’ll end up walking or taking buses, taxis, or the shuttle to get around downtown. As a guideline, it took me about 35 minutes to walk, relatively briskly, from the Hampton to the start of the Stanley Park seawall walk, at the other end of downtown.

- This Hampton is VERY heavily used by cruise passengers both before and after their cruises. They have a LOT of luggage, they all check in and check out at about the same time, and they fill the elevators, breakfast room, and relatively small lobby when they’re around. You can wait a long time for the elevators when cruise passengers are coming and going; it would be nice if the stairs were usable all the time and not just as emergency exit stairs.

- The main lobby entrance is off an alley between Cambie and Beatty. It’s signposted off Robson but isn’t that easy to see once you start walking down the alley. It’s on the right, just after you pass the parking garage. You can also enter off Robson, but then you have to go up to reach the lobby. It’s also accessible via Cambie and Beatty.

- I was on the 6th floor which mean that pretty much all I could see was BC Place and a tiny sliver of False Creek. (I was using Hilton Honors points for my stay and was traveling alone, so I wasn’t surprised to get one of the less desirable rooms during this very peak time for this hotel). Since I wasn’t in my room much, I wasn’t unhappy about this, but if you want a good view, ask for a higher floor.

Overall: This Hampton was a very pleasant surprise - definitely a cut above the others I’ve used. Well done, Vancouver Hampton!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank velevele
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very clean and staff extremely accommodating. Our first time in Vancouver and they were very helpful as to what to see and where to eat. Complimentary breakfast was very good and they had fruit and lemon water and orange juice out all day for customers. Would definitely stay there again where in Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in late June, 2014 for two nights prior to leaving on an Alaskan cruise. We chose this hotel for its location and competitive pricing. Check in went very smoothly. We were very pleasantly surprised by the corner room we were given on the 12th floor. There were two walls of windows that gave us a tremendous view of the city. The room was well appointed, very attractively decorated. The king bed was comfortable. After settling in we decided to start exploring the city. The desk clerks could not have been more helpful. They gave us suggestions, maps, and even checked prices on the internet and by phone for us! The Hampton is in an excellent location for shops, restaurants and downtown transportation.The complimentary breakfast the following morning was excellent. Items included eggs, breakfast meats, potatoes, oatmeal, waffles, cereal, muffins, juices. . . The breakfast attendant was very efficient, bringing us juice/coffee and taking away our dirty dishes. The complimentary shuttle to the cruise ship docks was easy to arrange, but do get to the lobby early as a line will form to select pick-up times. I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Our room #1210 on the 12th floor was an awesome corner room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Big rooms, nice and tasty breakfast and the best location. Add this to the great service of the staff as well as a gym and parking and you cannot find something with better value for money. Highly recommended for family or couples visiting Vancouver

Stayed July 2014
St. Marys, Georgia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Spent two nights here in June 2014 prior to cruising out of Vancouver. The location was excellent for both restaurants and shopping. Staff was friendly and professional. Parking was ample for a downtown location. We had a suite which was very roomy although the pull out sofa bed was very uncomfortable I'm told. Breakfast had excellent variety but the seating was limited. Nice roof area that housed an outdoor patio and hot tub as well as a recreation room and fitness center with excellent views of the downtown. Staff was very eager to help and offered great selections for dining and local activities.

Room Tip: Stay away from upper floors near elevator as children play in the rec room and noise travels down el...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We almost always stay at hilton properties, my husband stayed here last Nov (I couldn't make it) and got upgraded to a Gorgeous high floor corner suite with jacuzzi, we went for our anniversary and, not only did they never say anything about our anniversary despite it being in their notes from my phone reservations, but they booked us in a room with 2 queens instead of a king, I understand if they were busy no upgrade was possible but we spend a lot of money on hilton and are honors members. Even though I made the reservation, at check-in the person behind the counter only spoke to my husband. Very rude for a young lady of 20 or so to just assume they should speak to the husband and ignore the wife. When we got to our room, there was one little chocolate on the nightstand and barely enough towels for 2. Only after a note to the maid with gratuity did we get towels for 2. If there are 2 beds, there should at least be towels for 2 people. Also, breakfast was out of several things including eggs, bananas, pastries, hash brown potatoes. Bummer Hilton let us down this time. The rest of our anniversary in the are was spectacular, but this was the first impression after arriving at the airport post 14 hrs of travel. A smile would have been a nice way to greet us. The hotel we stayed at for the rest of our stay in Vancouver was beyond our expectations and will be our choice the next time we come here. Hampton also sent us a survey, in which I mentioned every thing above, and Hampton never responded. I thought they had a 100% satisfaction guarantee. How are you supposed to be satisfied when your are not treated with courtesy, I'm not looking for a refund, because we did sleep well, but a customer service response to my comments would have been nice. Not what we expect from hilton properties at all. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: If you don't care about front desk service the rooms on the high floors are nice. There is no po...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CMF568
Aliya B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear CMF568,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with fellow travellers. I am so disappointed that we left a poor impression on you and your husband, especially on what was to be such a special celebration. I assure you, this is not an accurate representation of our hotels service standards and had we known of your anniversary, we definitely would have shared in your celebrations.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the service lapse experienced by you and your husband. I assure you, the young lady who checked you in was most definitely not trying to segregate based on sex and I sincerely apologize if this is the impression she left.

Each guestroom has 4 sets of towels, including 4 bath towels, 4 face towels, 4 hand towels and 1 bath mat. We do clean all sheets and towels after every guest; whether they were used or not. As our desire for an environmentally friendly hotel exists, while still upholding to our cleanliness standards, we limit the number of towels we place in our guestrooms to the aforementioned amounts. However, a need for more towels can always be accommodated by calling our front desk.

CMF568, it is heartening to see that we have loyal and concerned guests like yourselves who are as committed to a high level of service as we are and I apologize again that this was not what was experienced during this last stay.

I have messaged you privately asking you to kindly contact me directly to discuss your stay in more detail. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations, and we hope that if ever your travels bring you back to our city, you allow us the opportunity to do so. Again, I can be reached by either calling 604-605-1455 or aliya@hamptoninnvancouver.com.

Thank you again. I look forward to hopefully speaking with you further.

Warm Regards,