“Comfortable, quite stay”

Ranked #13 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Belfast, Ireland
“Comfortable, quite stay”
Reviewed 1 November 2010

To get to the hotel, we took the Airport train all the way and got off at China town and then walked the remaining distance - I believe you can travel to the Rogers Arena which might be a little closer but we couldn’t see the stop on the map. While we were excited to make our first stop in Canada, the distance was a little far and on reflection the hotel was quite a walk from most of the entertainment. The hotel is about 10mins away from Granville area and right across the road from BC Place and the Rogers Arena - an excellent choice if you plan on seeing an event.

We booked a double queen which was quite spacious and included a large bathroom and separate wardrobe (?) containing a kitchenette. This was a nice touch although we only used the fridge and ate out most of the time. The view from our room (9th floor) was awesome and you could see right into the BC Place stadium which is currently having some work done to add a retractable roof. We stayed over a weekend and the noise from the workmen was only noticeable on the Monday Morning. Being at the end of Beatty Street it was quite out of the distance but it meant that street noise was at a bare minimum and we always got a good night’s sleep. Free wireless internet in the room is a bonus although a given in a hotel of this type and assisted in our planning for the day ahead.

Maid Service didn’t arrive too early in the morning which is a positive for the night owls and each morning they provide complimentary papers and bottles of water in addition to new towels. It is satisfying to receive double-towels for that night time shower given that most hotels are now restricting their linen arrangement.
The decor was welcoming (although I wasn’t that bothered) and the beds were super comfortable - exactly what I needed after many days of walking the city. When turning the A/C off I couldn't help but notice an odour in the room. I can't remember if I had specifically asked for a non-smoking room but there was definitely that type of smell in the air.

Breakfast was the usual buffet arrangement with scrambled eggs and waffles provided most mornings in addition to a meat item and the common cereal and juice/tea. I don't remember seeing a set restaurant in the building as we ate out each night.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly consider it again when I visit.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank TechGuy123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tipperary
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The hotel is perfect, location is amazing right across from BC Place. The breakfast is great. Stayed for a week in September 2009 and loved it, would be happy to return

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank lovetatravellots
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2010

The wife and I stayed here as part of a four night stay in Vancouver. The location cannot be beat, as you are proximate to everything you could want to do in Vancouver proper, and traffic is light in the immediate area. Once the remodel is finished, you are within walking distance of a Lions, Whitecaps, or Canucks game. The free breakfast is standard Hampton fare, and it ends at 10 a.m. sharp.

There is an attention to detail involving the property that is lacking at many other Hampton Inns. There are some nice touches of hospitality, including the fact that we were provided a complimentary umbrella as part of the room, and two complimentary bottles of water daily (not just on the first day of our trip). The internet connection is free and adequate as well. The views from the upper floors are terrific, and the 16th floor exercise facility and laundry have great views of the city as well (setting aside the fact that this is a terrible use for this floor). The Do Not Disturb button and master power switch (typically only found at non-North American hotels) were nice touches as well. Rooms are spacious overall.

You must have a room key to operate the elevator and enter and exit the garage, a problem for the absent minded. (But not unreasonable, in my opinion.)

The bathrooms are great. Plenty of space, roomy counter tops and no shortage of hot water. The lighted make up mirror was a nice extra as well.

The rate was not horrible considering the location.

Multiple free newspapers are available, including both local papers, the USA Today, the Seattle Times, the Globe and Mail (which gets delivered to your room) and the National Post (if you are in need of extra toilet paper, I suppose).

Room service is adequate, but service is very prompt.

Air conditioning works well in these units.

Some negatives of note:

You will never, ever find the entrance to the hotel if you are coming from the northeast on Beatty Street. The signage is non existent. Your GPS unit will drop you in the wrong place as well.

There is no valet, though there is an arrangement for one.

Front desk staff could best be described as adequate to slightly curt.

The room furnishings look cheap, even for a Hampton. They are new and will not age well (our dresser had a broken handle). This also goes for the mattress, though it was of the relatively soft firmness that I like, this was because the mattress is giving due to age.

The business center is not free, abnormal for a Hampton and rather annoying when you have to print directions.

And the home remodeling junkie in me can only laugh at the sad attempt at crown molding in the room.

Overall, I'd recommend it. It's at least even with the competition up the street and if you're a Hilton Honors person, it's good enough to choose on the basis of continuing to earn points.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cromartie
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights at the beginning of October 2010. It was a wonderful experience. The room was very clean with an extremely comfortable bed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They allowed me to check in earlier and gave me a room immediately because they had one ready. I had a microwave oven and a fridge which was handy for my takeaway meals. There is a very nice retaurant conveniently located on the ground floor of the hotel and they deliver meals to the room when you order. I was attending a conference at the Canada Place Convention Centre and the hotel offered me a free shuttle bus every morning and to whatever other location I wanted to go to downtown as many times as I wanted to go. Also had free hot breakfast (limited choice but good all the same) and free internet. And all this for under $160.00 per night! In addition the hotel is walking distance to many of the restaurants and shops in downtown Vancouver. None of my colleagues attending the conference had such a good deal. No downsides for me, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank OyBO2010
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We stayed at the Hampton for 3 nights at the start of a driving holiday round the Rockies and found it to be very good value. Staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Andrew who organised a last minute whale watching trip for us and dropped us at a bank and to Granville Island. Our room was spacious and clean with plenty of towels. As others have mentioned, the breakfast area is small and busy but has more than enough choice. We ate at Zacharys restaurant attached to the hotel one evening and had a good meal with 10% discount. We also ate at Yaletown, a short distance away with many restaurants. The hotel is in a good position and we walked everywhere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markate
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2010

The location is good for most of the city sights. Our room was a good size for a city centre hotel and the service was friendly and helpful. The only negative aspect was the breakfast which was included in our room rate. The size of the breakfast room was about a quarter of the size needed for a hotel this size. Also as there was no check I suspect that a number of people just came in off the street for a free breakfast. The food was generally unhealthy even by north American standards and the quality should have been better.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ater42
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Attended a conference in Vancouver; my spouse and 3 year old son came with me. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. We got a full-size crib rental for our son from bambinobabyrentals.com; they delivered the crib for free to the hotel because it was downtown. It was set up in the room when we checked in, which was nice. I tilted the couch on end and draped blankets and comforters from it to other places to make a sleeping area for our son in a corner of the living room. We didn't use the kitchenette as much as we could have; everything was available for meal preparation, including a full-size refrigerator. One reason the kitchenette was underused was the excellent free breakfast buffet. There was free Internet access via two terminals (with printers available) adjacent to the breakfast area. There is a SkyTrain station two blocks from the motel, which made it simple to get to the motel from the airport, and which I used every day to go to the conference at Canada Place. There is a grocery store a short distance up Robson from the motel. The motel had hybrid bicycles and helmets available for free; it was nice to check one out one day and take a ride around the perimeter of Stanley Park. The motel staff were very nice, friendly people. My spouse and son rode a free shuttle one day from the motel to Stanley Park. A coin laundry is available on the top floor, where the fitness center (with hot tub) also is located. It's a short walk to False Creek, where the little ferries offer service to Granville Island, etc.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business