“Excellent Stay, Always Recommneded” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #55 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
St. John's, Canada
“Excellent Stay, Always Recommneded”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We arrived at the Holiday Inn and were warmly greeted by the front desk staff. The staff was very helpfull and gave us some hints about the town. There is also a tour desk at the hotel which can help with other attractions in Vancouver. When we checked into our room we were impressed with all the furnishings and cleanliness of the room. It appears that the hotel has been recently renovated and it shows. For breakfast, there is a restaurant in the lobby which serves a delisious breakfast with omlette made to order. Th hotel is perfectly located in the center of the city right next to the party street, with multiple great restaurants and clubs.

We would recommend the hotel to anyone planning to visit Vancouver. Great quality and value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

OK, to be fair, I wouldn't say it was merely "average", but when you think of Holiday Inn, you might wanna expect something greater in terms of stay experience.

Here is the breakdown.

Plus:
Rooms are spacious. Beds awesome.
Gym is Small, but decent and pool not bad, with 3m (9ft) deep! Awesome for me anyway.
Staff is friendly.

Can be better:
Room heating system SUCKS! For 3 nights, I was freezing in the room, despite the heater at full blast.
Gym was more like an igloo!!! So hard to gym when the temp is like below 20 centigrades. Almost as if they didn't want you to use the gym.
Staff was friendly. No doubt. But they don't seem to be able to recommend good places to go, or things to do.
Elevators were small, slow and pathetic for a Holiday Inn standards.
Location wise, 15min walk to shopping areas and more touristy spots. So do expect to do some walking in the cold!
Breakfast selection was MISERABLE! Simple bread, eggs, sausages, french fry potatoes. Thats all.

Overall:
Not right to say "average", but certainly not fantastic. There are definitely better hotels to choose from.
Marginal 3.5 stars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear eteo232,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is disappointing to know that you did not completely enjoy your stay due to the issues encountered with the room's temperature level and breakfast being sub par. Despite this, it is good to know that you found our beds to be comfortable and staff friendly.

I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area, you will give our hotel another try so we can show you our improvements.

Regards,

Pam G
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I visited Vancouver in June with my siblings (all in our 20s).

The room was OK - nothing special. We had a standard room with two double beds. The washroom was very small and the the floor always seemed the be wet. It was OK but again nothing special.

The lobby of the hotel is quite small and when there are lots of people there, we could hear it in our hotel room. There's a lot going on in the lobby with a bar, seating area and concierge. So if you're looking for a quiet room, request something well away from the lobby and pool areas and deck/balcony area. We had breakfast once in the lobby restaurant and it was alright. The location is great so there are plenty of restaurants within a 2-5 minute walk from the hotel.

The concierge at the hotel was fantastic! She helped us book a tour to Whistler and gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. She made sure we were ready for our tour and answered all of our questions.

Overall, a good experience. The location and helpful concierge made our stay great.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank neeps25
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear neeps25,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear your positive feedback on our hotel location, restaurant facility and helpful concierge staff. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I am sorry for any shortcomings you may have experienced in your room accommodation. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are important to us and we are confident that the hotel management will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Manhattan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The condition of this hotel is odd. On one side, our renovated room and the breakfast area were quite nice. They were beautifully decorated and comfortable. Other areas of the hotel such as hallways, elevators, etc. were quite shabby. Our room was large, but very dark. And that's how it all went...

We had ordered the breakfast package. This was a mistake. The buffet selection was limited and the "hot" food arrived cold and hard. The chef had simply too much to handle and the results were poor.

On the other hand the front desk service and the breakfast room waiter were quite good.

The bottom line is that "you get what you pay for" with this hotel of large contrasts.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear InTheMomentManhattan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am truly sorry to hear that the breakfast served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Karen G.
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Quick, no frills hotel for a quick work trip to Vancouver. Elevator is tiny and small but the rooms are well maintained. I love that they have a room ready anytime I get there. It's also a good walk to Robson street so it's convenient.

Room Tip: ask for higher floors and away from the elevators, they tend to be very busy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bazingga_08
Salmon Arm, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn and I have stayed there many times before due to its location and friendly staff. This visit was the first time I have stayed in the part of the hotel where you need a separate elevator and go around the meeting rooms to get there. My room was on the first floor and it felt a bit like I was in the dungeon. I recognize that there is nothing that they can do about this however the next time I go I will request a room in the "newer?" (Only one elevator) part of the hotel! I will definitely go back but not in that section of the hotel! We forgot something in our car and it took forever going through the maze of floors and elevators just to get to the car!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Tanner T, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Good day Kristina B,

Thank you for sharing your experience. The first floor rooms are a bit of a walk so we will happily make a note for your future stays. We are also in the process of adding some more signage to better improve this aspect.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Tanner
Lumby, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We just returned home from our disappointing stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Howe Street. The room was very clean and neat. Our check in went well -thank you Alexander.
We had driven to Vancouver from the Okanagan so required a parking pass. When we arrived at 5pm we were able to find a parking spot in the covered parking. We went out for dinner on Granville Island and returned to the parkade at around 9:00pm -there were no places to park except in the handicapped area or the reserved area for Spa employees. I refuse to park in the handicap spot for conscious reasons as well am I think there is a fine. So we parked in the Holiday Inn designated parking area behind the hotel with another vehicle. . . We checked out the next day and when we walked to our SUV we found that rear passenger door window had been busted out. When I went to the front desk a tall young man from the hotel was quite consoling and told me to talk to Anna (?) the day manager. She proved to be unempathic and stated that since I had booked my room through Hotels.com there was nothing they could do-I would have to deal with them in regards to a refund since I did not book with Holiday Inn directly. I requested that she take off the extra charges for the parking that I was charged and another small charge of $9 -she reluctantly did so. I then asked if we could get some help to make it possible to drive home in our vehicle. She did say that they would arrange to have their maintenance person vacuum the glass and tape up the window. I have to thank the maintenance person for his great work and the miracle of duct tape as the plastic held until we made it home and then today when I took it to get repaired for $300. I am disappointed with this hotel I am a Priority Plus member of Holiday Inn and this was a very disheartending episode that has shaked my confidence in this chain with one person's uncaring attitude. I grew until in the hospitality industry and find this unacceptable. Hotels.com has agreed to give me a credit on my account so I appreciative their response to this -thank you Stephanie. So I would not recommend this hotel if you are travelling with a vehicle unless you make sure you get a spot in there underground parkade and then I still think there are no guarantees.On another note the door in our room was not soundproof and you can hear everybody that was talking or walking in the hallway.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 311 the door is not soundproof can hear everybody going back and forth in the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Melody I
Good day Melody I

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I am pleased that you found your room clean and enjoyed the check in experience. I do apologize for your vehicle getting broken into outside. We do offer lots of internal parking though it can be a challenge to navigate the parkade with the various levels.
I am sorry we were not able to better handle the matter when you brought it to our attention. These acts of vandalism we take seriously as it effects our customer experience and our ability to retain that loyalty. While I understand this impacts your confidence I do hope you will still consider the Holiday Inn Brand in the future.

Tanner Tredgett

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels