“a display of today's modern art”

Vancouver Art Gallery
Skip the Line: Vancouver Art Gallery Admission
More Info
US$77.14*
and up
Vancouver Trolley Hop-on Hop-off Tour, Lookout Observation Deck and Vancouver...
Ranked #48 of 356 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just steps from vibrant Robson Street in downtown Vancouver, the Vancouver Art Gallery offers the city's top cultural experience featuring four floors of historical and contemporary art. Enhance your experience by relaxing in the locally-loved Gallery Cafe and enjoying the beautiful Gallery Store. The Gallery is closed December 25th and 31st anually and on April 20th, 2015.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I attended the Vancouver Art Gallery yesterday (August 19, 2014) having not visited the gallery for about a year. This visit impressed me less than my previous visits. It's difficult for me to imagine how empty food containers and plastic cleaning bottles displayed upon make shift wood shelves can be construed art. Also considered an art form were about a couple hundred Chinese cigarette packages in a acrylic display case. In fairness however the gallery consists of 4 floors of the former Provincial Court House and the upper two floors did exhibit art as I'm familiar with. It is noteworthy to mention that took me several years to develop an appreciation for opera...........well, maybe in another couple of years for the love of art. Allow about 3 hours to tour the exhibits and allow CAD21 per person for admission and CAD6 an hour for on-street parking.

There are newer reviews for Vancouver Art Gallery

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Definitely check their exhibits online before you go because the VAG caters more to the abstract and conceptual. If you love the galleries of Europe and traditional artisan talent, then do not go for you will be sadly disappointed. I was. I'm not saying they don't have decent exhibits, but definitely review their website first. For me, the best bit..was the actually building itself.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My teenage daughter "dragged" me to the VAG (what an unfortunate acronym!) as I am not an art fan... and I had a simply wonderful time!

We enjoyed the Douglas Coupland installation immensely. In my ignorance, I was unaware that Coupland was a visual artist in addition to being an acclaimed author. It was a fascinating look into his mind. What was particularly appealing about the installation was that there were signs encouraging visitors to take pictures. And we did! DC's capturing of the Canadian experience is amusing and deadly accurate. The Ice-Vending machine was chilling (honestly, no pun intended) and the couch with lumber jackets was amusing. All of it - the entire installation - was superb.

The third floor was the clincher for me - some very strange and surreal interactive "pieces" that stretched and challenged what I had, to that point, considered "art" - I believe "The Killing Machine" is on this floor, as is the Opera piece... WOW! I was fascinated, intrigued and mesmerized. The creaky door that looks like it belongs to a broom closet took me a full minute to get the guts up to open. I loved that one of the gallery staff told me it was ok to push the red button. ;-)

The layout of the gallery is straightforward and easy to navigate - every floor walks you through a circuit of sorts. As a reluctant guest, I have to say I enjoyed every minute of the visit, and even got misty at one point, looking at an Emily Carr piece. The gallery left me thoroughly satisfied and wanting more!

If every art gallery was this lovely, I just might consider becoming an art fan.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Edgy and provocative, the DC exhibit is fantastic. His multilayered commentary on our society and culture through art and a walk through our recent past will bring up childhood memories and evoke a new consideration on where our world is taking us and where we have been. The installation is as provoking as it is pleasantly balanced with colour (an non-colour), theme and shape. And don't forget GumHead on the outside grounds. Bring your favourite bubble gum to add to the interactive art piece!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I enjoyed the gallery but there are lots of terrific things to do in Vancouver so I would feel free to skip it if your itinerary is full.

Some great Canadian artwork in a fairly small space -- this is actually not a bad thing for our family as sometimes galleries can be a bit overwhelming for us.

We really enjoyed the Douglas Coupland exhibit.