“Douglas Coupland Exhibition - Brilliant”

Vancouver Art Gallery
Book In Advance
More Info
US$18.19*
and up
Skip the Line: Vancouver Art Gallery Admission with Optional Early Access and...
Ranked #51 of 347 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just steps from vibrant Robson Street in downtown Vancouver, the Vancouver Art Gallery offers the city's top cultural experience featuring four floors of historical and contemporary art. Enhance your experience by relaxing in the locally-loved Gallery Cafe and enjoying the beautiful Gallery Store. The Gallery is closed December 25th and 31st anually and on April 20th, 2015.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Geneva, Switzerland
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Douglas Coupland Exhibition - Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stimulating, slightly depressing and soul-searchingly relevent in terms of the overlap between modern-day life and technology. See it while you can ( and take your mobile phone - some exhibits can only be viewed through the camera... )

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Sweden
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“misleading about photography”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My partner and I checked out the gallery and upon entry we were greeted with signs that stated "photography is encouraged", however upon leaving the ground floor where the signs were, we were then told off for taking photos even though there were no new signs to state that photography was no longer encouraged. It put a bit of a downer to our visit as they made us feel like we were in the wrong when we, in my opinion were only going by what we were first greeted with upon entry. They weren't overly polite about telling us "no photos" and it felt like than man was a little too aggressive about it.
Aside from that the exhibitions were pretty rad.

1 Thank Human13579
Richmond, Canada
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“a display of today's modern art”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I attended the Vancouver Art Gallery yesterday (August 19, 2014) having not visited the gallery for about a year. This visit impressed me less than my previous visits. It's difficult for me to imagine how empty food containers and plastic cleaning bottles displayed upon make shift wood shelves can be construed art. Also considered an art form were about a couple hundred Chinese cigarette packages in a acrylic display case. In fairness however the gallery consists of 4 floors of the former Provincial Court House and the upper two floors did exhibit art as I'm familiar with. It is noteworthy to mention that took me several years to develop an appreciation for opera...........well, maybe in another couple of years for the love of art. Allow about 3 hours to tour the exhibits and allow CAD21 per person for admission and CAD6 an hour for on-street parking.

British Columbia, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Always check before you go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Definitely check their exhibits online before you go because the VAG caters more to the abstract and conceptual. If you love the galleries of Europe and traditional artisan talent, then do not go for you will be sadly disappointed. I was. I'm not saying they don't have decent exhibits, but definitely review their website first. For me, the best bit..was the actually building itself.

Visited November 2013
London, ON
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Highly enjoyable visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My teenage daughter "dragged" me to the VAG (what an unfortunate acronym!) as I am not an art fan... and I had a simply wonderful time!

We enjoyed the Douglas Coupland installation immensely. In my ignorance, I was unaware that Coupland was a visual artist in addition to being an acclaimed author. It was a fascinating look into his mind. What was particularly appealing about the installation was that there were signs encouraging visitors to take pictures. And we did! DC's capturing of the Canadian experience is amusing and deadly accurate. The Ice-Vending machine was chilling (honestly, no pun intended) and the couch with lumber jackets was amusing. All of it - the entire installation - was superb.

The third floor was the clincher for me - some very strange and surreal interactive "pieces" that stretched and challenged what I had, to that point, considered "art" - I believe "The Killing Machine" is on this floor, as is the Opera piece... WOW! I was fascinated, intrigued and mesmerized. The creaky door that looks like it belongs to a broom closet took me a full minute to get the guts up to open. I loved that one of the gallery staff told me it was ok to push the red button. ;-)

The layout of the gallery is straightforward and easy to navigate - every floor walks you through a circuit of sorts. As a reluctant guest, I have to say I enjoyed every minute of the visit, and even got misty at one point, looking at an Emily Carr piece. The gallery left me thoroughly satisfied and wanting more!

If every art gallery was this lovely, I just might consider becoming an art fan.

Visited July 2014