“There are better options around the corner”

Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #78 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

The location of the hotel is pretty good however that is about it. There are plenty of better places you can stay which are within the same block (holiday inn). We arrived around 9pm and had to "announce" ourselves as no one behind the desk seemed interested in helping us. They didn't have the wifi codes ready and while we were therefore waiting for her to look something up for us online, 3 different people came to the other desk to be tuned away as the other desk clerk was busy cutting up some paper - no joke. So unfortunately not the place for me. We are moving to the holiday inn today for the rest of the trip!

• Stayed: September 2013
Hojovan, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Handemonium,

Please accept our apologies for the confusion at the check in, as you could see we had a large group arriving at the same time as you, and the lobby was full of people and it was really hard to recognize who is the part of the group and who isn't. This was also one of the reasons why we ran out of wifi codes, our new group each had 2-3 devices and we had to make more passwords than anticipated. I'm also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Holiday Inn Hotel as much as you thought you would. We are budget hotels with budget prices, perhaps higher end hotels would be able to accomodate you more efficiently then us or Holiday Inn.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

The hotel is in a good location and affordable. The Granville area is full of restaurants, stores, bars. It is also very close to Yaletown. The bus stop is in front of the hotel, you can go to downtown in 2 minutes. Of course, this is a noisy area, so do not expect to sleep well (but this is the price to pay for being next to bars).

Staff was not very kind. Every time I had a question, I had the impression I was bothering them.

I had a room for 2 people with a queen size bed, and private bathroom. Unfortunately, they must improve the room cleanness. I found the room rather dirty and smelly.

Room Tip: Spend some more money, and go closer to downtown
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The price for accommodation is actually too high for the service!
The room and bathroom were very small and not cleaned at all (hair and others on the floor and beds)
We found several other hotels in Vancouver much better at the same price or lower.
Furthermore, the room was noisy for most of the night.
An experience do not repeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank marco c
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed at the HoJo a few weeks ago on an overnight business trip. Greeted by extremely professional and enthusiastic front desk employees and a very comfortable feeling in the lobby. My room was clean as a whistle and all of my needs were met. I could easily have paid 2 to 3 times as much as Vancouver proper is not cheap in the summertime. Best of all, when done doing business, I went for a run just down the street to a beautiful and convenient path along the water...brilliant! Went to dinner - the neighborhood is packed with tons of great restaurants. This place is perfect...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Cory K,

Thank you so much again for staying with us, we do understand there are many choices in our city for good accomodations and we are honored that you picked us as your "home away from home". I"m happy we provided clean and friendly service and were able to cater to all your needs on your most recent trip.
Looking forward to your next visit!
Thank you again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Three nights with pactically no sleep! In the initial room we had extrem noises from the surrounding area (street, bars,adjacent swimming pool) with the window fully or partially open, as well as from a window air conditioner. With the window closed the noise from the AC was even more annoying. In addition, drops of water from the condensation of the AC unit one floor higher hitting our AC unit produced a machine gun like noise. There is no counter space in the bathroom to put your washing and shaving utensils. The floor is the only alternative! A room change improved the noise situation slighly, but remained unaccepable. The staff at the reception, at check-in, was not helpful even unpolite. One of them was totally incompetant.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zibobc

Dear Zibobc,
I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your hotel stay, I'm not sure where you stayed sir, but defintely not with us, unfortunately we do not have swimming pool here / we totally would love to have one, especially in summer months/,but that remains a wish that will never materilize due to the age and location our heritage building.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

It's 3.20am in room 102 and I still can hear the club going tomp tomp tomp...the gross smell doesn't go away, neither does the dampness in the carpet nor the squeaky floorboards nor the squeakiness of the smaller-than-queen double bed. The only decent things are the cleanliness of the white sheets towels and bathroom. But you can't sleep in the bathroom no? Unless you want to be sleepless in your $200 a night foul smelling room writing a review on tripadvisor at 3am to the beats of the club next door...

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank NomadTravelle
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems you encountered at our hotel. If people do not take time to make us aware of our shortfalls we have no way to correcting them. Thank you for taking the time to bring them to my attention.
We have 2 staff members ready to cater to all your needs at any given time. IF you are not satisfied with your room, we have more rooms you can choose from to make your stay more enjoyable. Also, if you are awake in your room in the middle of the night due to a noise from nightclub, next door neighbours etc, we would love to hear from you, all required is to pick a phone and let us know, because we do have a way of correcting all situations while they are happening and it is our job to make your stay with us a good one.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

La fin du monde.

Jest returned from an overnighter at Hojo in BC's edgy downtown. The room size is adequate if you are by chance a hobbit, elf or leprechaun but a bit tight for folks 4ft. and up. There are two elevators, one that might fit two very very thin people and, a larger lift that will hold a suitcase trolly, maybe. (As luck would have it my calls were always answered by the smaller conveyance and twice I shared it with well fed bicyclists just in from a rides and too too many buffets). Our room was clean enough... I think.  Around six in the morning our toilet became..... impaired. My call to the front desk was promptly answered by a young lady who was polite, understanding and no doubt efficient. Sadly, woefully she told me she was alone and the housekeeping staff were not due for another twenty minutes but a plunger was available to me if only I could come down and get it. Due to a previous... engagement, I was unable to avail myself of her generous offer. Twas only one short hour before a ghost like knock came at the door, then an apparition of a sleepy stoic Chinese lady appeared and without judgement, emotionlessly freed the utility of it's eclusion. Before I could tip she floated away disappearing into the  morning and perhaps other sewage related rescues. Needless to say my wife and I were relieved ... In several ways.

If over priced, the lodging is ideal for folks more comfortable amongst the less fortunate or doing research into schizophrenia and psychotic disorders. One nice thing, there are several 'rock' shops about and many of the vagrants and shoppers near the hotel are colorful and display a youthful shiftless inebriated charm with their demonstrative wild bizarre sidewalk antics. Addicts, deadbeats, panhandlers, wastrels and other accomplished ner-do-wells  inhabit the hotel environs as they do throughout Vancouver. There are of course many hotels in neighborhoods where this not the case but not here. This slice of Grandville street takes on a unique shameful hopelessness that fits seamlessly into the littered garbage strewn thoroughfare. There's some parking if you dare. The property does host a decent sports bar where people watching can be a tiny bit depressing or fun if you're interested in witnessing the end of the world.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrLoPan
Hojovan, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Good Day,
Thank you very much for your honest and frank posting on TripAdvisor concerning your recent stay.
We are a historical boutique hotel built in 1913 and unfortunately the elevators of the day were quite small. With the confines of the space we cannot provide larger elevators as it would impact the structure. We consider ourselves very fortunate to have 2 elevators, I know few other hotels around us that only have one elevator. I am sorry that the front desk agent was not able to quickly assist you with the concerns of the toilet, but happy to see that one of our housekeeping staff was able to assist prior to starting her shift.
Vancouver is a big city and with that come big problems as homelesness, drug addictions. All the big cities in the world have that. Also, world is going green, countries are trying to be more environmently friendly, Mayor of Vancouver is more than happy to turn our city into bike/walk friendly city, you probably noticed all the empty bike lanes all over downtown area. Parking lot's are dissapearing at high rate right in front of our eyes and space is either turned into parks or residential buildings. Locals are "highly encouraged" to take bus or bike to work. All the highrises around the hotel used to be parking lots before, it all has been developed and now we are left with very limited parking. I'm still glad you were able to get a spot and park your vehicle while visiting our city.
Have a great day.