“Basic place for basic price”

Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #80 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked a basic room and everything was exactly as expected. The room was small but was used primarily for sleeping. Large flat screen tv and cable which was nice. No microwave and no mini fridge but forgivable as the hotel is within walking distance to 24 hour food options. Location was great and central. Very clean place and courteous staff. Wifi username and password provided at checkin. Affordable place in the heart if the city.

Thanks for the hospitality!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Riley,
Thank you very much for staying with us. We are extremely happy you had a nice stay with us.
Hope to see you again soon.
Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The location is great en the rooms are big enough. You get what you pay for so don't expect luxery but everything you need is there. It's clean and the staff is friendly. At the weekends it can be a bit noisy because the hotel is in the middle of a busy area.
There is a nice france bakery next door where you can get some breakfast.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Linda V,
Thank you very much for your review, and thank you for staying with us. Glad you enjoyed our budget friendly hotel and enjoyed the location and your stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here while in Vancouver on business and it was fine for me. If you know Howard Johnson you know basically what to expect. The staff didn't really handle my reservation very well. My boss had booked it and it was a bit of a process to get checked in, as they for some reason didn't seem to trust me even though my name was on the reservation. So, I had to sit in the lobby while we got her on the phone. Not very pleasant given I had just flown in.

The hotel has a nice bar attached to it and is in a good location. Plenty of stuff that you can walk to: restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Getting down into the core of the city is very easy by bus or taxi, so you're really not too far from anything, but this is definitely not in the center of the action (Gaslamp, etc., not walkable).

If you're going to Vancouver on a budget and looking for somewhere that's clean, this would do.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear BanhRan,

Dear guest, thank you very much for staying with us. I'm very sorry about the situation at check in, I tried to research your reservation to find out what exactly happened and how to prevent this from happening to our other guests, but unfortunately I have noticed, that you stayed with us a year ago, and I was not able to pinpoint what exactly happened.
Glad you liked our city and enjoyed your stay here.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here for a New Year's get together, and had excellent service from the front desk. I had rented tuxes for a formal ball that night, and the next day the receptionist offered to return the tuxes of all my friends and I. I have nothing but glowing words for this woman. It is now 4 months later and I still think of all the time and effort this lady saved me. If you're reading this, Brenda, I thank thee.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Princess P

Dear Princess P,

Thank you very much for your review. And thank you very much for staying with us. It has been an absolute pleasure helping you, we know how hard it is for our guests to get any business done on stat holidays. We are here to serve you and help you and I'm very happy we were able to do that for you and make your stay memorable, because of that.
We hope to see you here again!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in March, 2014. My main reason for choosing it was it had a laundry. We had been on Amtrak for 3 days and needed fresh clothes. They put us on the same floor as the laundry and on the back(quiet) side. I also liked the fact that the front desk is open 24 hours, since we arrived after midnight. They were very helpful giving us sightseeing advice such as where to catch our city bus, etc. It is in an excellent location. The only problem and it didn't bother us too much was the heating system-none in the bathroom, except the portable heater for the room. Luckily, it wasn't very cold when we were there. Thanks again to the staff for a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Deer Deex9,

It has been a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad to hear somebody is using our washer and dryer!!! Ha ha. Hope you had a nice and uneventful trip home and hope to see you here again!!!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I spent 2 nights in this hotel. It was a great price for downtown hotel and the service was also excellent. The staffs were helpful and knowledgable in giving directions and advices of good places to eat. The price did not include breakfast though. There was a bar next to the hotel, and there would be people coming in to rooms at dawn. My sleeping was quite distracted a little bit by those noises and talks, but I know this was not the hotel's fault. The hairdryer was broken too. However, the staffs were really friendly. They even help us to call AAA when our car was out of battery. The hotel was non-smoking, but there would be people smoking outside the hotel sometimes.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Felicia H,
Thank you very much for your review and also thank you very much for staying with us.
It has been an absolute pleasure to help you with the car, I hope it was ok to drive it home.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014