Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown
Executive Hotel Vintage Park(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$228
US$201
  • Restaurant
Sunset Inn and Suites(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$239
St. Regis Hotel(Vancouver)
US$382
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$288
US$279
US$149
US$143
US$591
US$502
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Park Inn & Suites by Radisson(Vancouver)(Great Value!)
US$268
Orbitz.com
US$390
US$379
  • Pool
All reviewsgranville stentertainment districtnoisy at nightcentral locationbc placerobson streetdowntownnightlife
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a very typical HoJo hotel. The rooms are quite small and so are the bathrooms. The bedding was old but clean and bed small but comfortable. Bathroom was needing an update and a little dirty.,check in was fast and easy. The location is in a busy part of town with lots happening at night. Some good shopping close by.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Geoff Dale,
Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us.
We are 100 year old heritage building and size of the rooms is something that we can't do much about. This is the reason why we mostly have rooms with 1 bed.
Glad to hear you enjoyed our location.
Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I was leery to stay here given mixed reviews that seem to be either terrible or amazing. It is no where in between it is awful and I will ever stay there again. At first check in was a joke. The man who was working the front desk has poor communication skills and was condescending when we finally deciphered what he was trying to say. It shouldn't be that hard to explain the parking situation or lack thereof or a pre-auth. It was seemed as though he was on a power trip. I had encounters with a few others working the front and none provided anything but the most basic of service, no service with a smile or enthusiasm. About the hotel itself it was extremely dated and smelled awful. Took the stairs which is key card locked which is good I liked the security but the smells in the stairways were gross and they varied along the way, I'm not sure what that a about. We got to our rooms and they were small which was fine but the smell was the problem there is very little air circulation unless the air conditioning is running. It took a while of windows opened and running the fan to get rid of the dank stale air. The room was fairly clean and the bathroom was not as clean as it could have been there were areas on some of the tiles grout that has not been cleaned for some time. Also one room inour group needed a cot and the response was something like "are you sure? Its going to be a tight fit", why even offer cots if your rooms can hardly fit them?
Maybe if we had paid about 1/2 of what we were charged it may have been fine for a one nighter seeing as all other hotels in the area were booked solid. The cost totaled for a tiny two double bed room for 4 adults was $250 for 1 night. A friend was staying the same night in a room with 2 beds and 4 adults 1 block away at the Holiday Inn for $240. By comparison this place to the Holiday Inn, we were ripped off. Also parking is extremely limited and costs $19 per night.
The only half decent features were the location for our needs and the restaurant Wings was good for the evening but the service in the morning left much to be desired one waitress was a grump and look haggard likely from her night before.
I would not recommend anyone to stay here if you want to stay in the area I have stayed at the Chateau Granville next door to Hojo's and it was good rooms were clean, price was right, staff were friendly and personable, underground parking for a charge but it is secure.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tandt4ever

Dear tandt4ever,
Thank you very much for your candid review.
I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I wish I knew who was the person who checked you in and what was the room you stayed in, so I could talk to my staff about the issues that you have experienced, so we can have them fixed right away and other guests don't need to experience them.
Yes, we are old heritage building and the sizes of our rooms are small. Cots are offered because they do fit some of the rooms, but not all of them. If we know ahaed of time, we can assign room that could fit a cot. Once guests are in , and a friend decides to stay for the night, there is not much we can do about it. Yes, parking is very limited and unfortunately we only allow 1 car per room. I will forward your comments about Wings to their managment team.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at the Howard with friends for 2 nights before joining a Holland America tour, the room was fairly small but perfectly adequate for two people with luggage. The room was very clean as was the bathroom and although the first night was a little noisy we expected this given the location and the fact that it was a public holiday and every one was out socialising, the next night was much quieter. For us the location was perfect, central to everything, and we found the front desk staff helpful, one lady in particular was very helpful with suggestions of things to do and with booking taxis/tours for us, and I'm sorry I didn't note her name.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Kiwi678,
Thank you very much for your review and thank you for staying with us. We are very happy you were able to enjoy your stay with us! Hope your Alaska cruise was great also.
Thank you for your business, it has been a pleasure to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a prefect hotel if you are looking for a central accommodation in Vancouver. Nice rooms, cozy adjoining restaurant and friendly staff. We stay occasionally a night when going for a concert downtown and we always have a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear RaZa224,
Thank you very much for your review and thank you for staying with us. We are glad we are a hotel of your choice when attending concerts in Vancouver. We are happy to hear you are able to enjoy our location and our modest pricing.
Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I came to stay in Vancouver, BC in April 2014. I stayed 4 nights at Howard Johnson, and am so happy to have stayed there. The hotel is clean and fresh. The staff were always a great help, kind and know the city well! I was able to walk all over the city, come back quickly after a day on the Sea Wall and Patios only to reset and have time out in the amazing city night life. Anything I needed was provided by a simple call to front desk. This is my favorite hotel to stay. You can't beat the staff, rates, location and the hotel manager, Lucia, is always available to make sure her guests are very happy! Lucia went out of her way to make sure I was comfortable and satisfied! She's a gem. I will be coming back for years to come!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear K M,
Thank you very much for staying with us and thank you very much for your review.
We are extremely happy you were able to enjoy yourself and everything that our hotel and our lovely city has to offer.
We appreciate your business and hope to see you here again.